View Poll Results: Would you support the following campaign to get a 700p firmware update?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

410 95.35%
  • No

20 4.65%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Sorry about the lack of progress guys. After I finished the letter, Septimus discussed revisions on the letter before putting it up on Treocentral's front page. I had several personal issues to deal with over the last week and did not have time to update the letter. I will finish it tonight and re-email it to Septimus. Then I will discuss with him as to whether it would be more appropriate on the front page or part of a thread. Sorry for the delay again.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Thanks for your effort!

I doubt we'll see a rom fix anytime soon. They're too busy working on the 700wx fix to bother with the 700p!
    Palm,

Please address all kown stability issues of the Treo 700P with a timely ROM update.

Thank you.
  4.    #124  
    Thanks for hanging in there with me. I feel bad that it got stalled this week after so many people gettng behind this.

I just revised the letter and sent it back to Septimus to get his feedback. The original version was definitely too long as he pointed out. The new one is very concise and I think it is a real winner. Will check on it tomorrow.

Also if we do go through with posting the reviews, they should be fair and not one sided. This is not going to be a PALM/700p lynching. Any consumer has the right to know both the upsides and downsides of a product and we will limit it to the facts. I probably miscommunicated this earlier as I realize I was a bit fired up as I'm sure we all are about this. I think reviews should be something along the lines of:

The 700p is great with EVDO, and great with etc, etc... but it has these two issues with Bluetooth, and app switching lag that the 650 does not. Since Palm has yet to communicate plans for any fix availability, you should take this into account if these are important issues to you.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 11/16/2006 at 10:45 PM.
    So, what's the deal? Is Palm going to give us software updates or just send us all new phones? Jeez, it's been 6 months now...
    <br>
  6.    #126  
    I've been told that Treocentral is going to run the letter within the next few days. Before the letter is run, there are some roundabout, informal feelers being made to persons at Palm to offer them the opportunity to offer a response to us. Wouldn't that make for a great Thanksgiving?

This process has been taking longer than I had envisioned but I think the extra time taken to do this correctly is going to payoff. Please keep checking up on this thread. I think there will be more to talk about over the next few days. In the meantime, I just want to wish you all a happy Turkey Day!
    Heh...if Palm was REALLY cool, they'd have ALP or their own linux-based version lined up and will just give that to us by xmas. That....however...is what's called wishful thinking. heh.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    With Colligan's arrogance lately, I have a better insight into why palm doesn't care about its customers. They think they are the hottest $@:! right now. I'm still not convinced this update is even going to adress the proper concerns, nor add any new functionality,but I'd love to be proven wrong...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Has there been any update on this? It seems like the folks behind it may have gone to work for Palm, they've left us without an update! (JK).
    I spoke with another sprint rep in the store yesterday who was really pretty cool, very knowledgable (sprint seems to be doing better with training and such). I was told that the current speculated date Palm gave Sprint for a 700p firmware update was around the 2nd week of december. He also said this was the 3rd or 4th time this date was pushed back (as in it was supposed to be out already but new bugs were brought to palm's attention). By no way is this set in stone, but if you ask any knowledgable sprint rep, this is the best information that they'd be able to give you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    I spoke with another sprint rep in the store yesterday who was really pretty cool, very knowledgable (sprint seems to be doing better with training and such). I was told that the current speculated date Palm gave Sprint for a 700p firmware update was around the 2nd week of december. He also said this was the 3rd or 4th time this date was pushed back (as in it was supposed to be out already but new bugs were brought to palm's attention). By no way is this set in stone, but if you ask any knowledgable sprint rep, this is the best information that they'd be able to give you.
    anyone else hear the same thing?
    If anyone is interested the Palm Corp email format is:

first name.last name@corp.palm.com

The above format matches three different people in my address book, so I'm very confident it is the correct format

So you could try emailing the petition to Ed Colligan using ed.colligan@corp.palm.com and see if that works.

Good luck,

RocketDude
  13.    #133  
    I don't know what is going on with the delay concerning the letter being posted up on Treocentral's front page. With the holiday I figured it might be delayed but I had assumed that it would be up by now. I am going to try to find out today and will let everyone know what the deal is within the next 24 hours.

Thanks for email address RocketDude. There's no downside in trying it but I want to hear back from TC first.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    The fact that Bob-C and other members of TreoCentral have to go to this effort to get Palm to come out with a ROM fix more than 6 months after the release of the 700p is a joke. This is why Palm's stock got hammered yesterday. They are incredibly incompetent with regard to focusing on customer service and coming up with easy fixes to outstanding issues. Why did my Bluetooth work on my 650 but now it is broken on the 700p (in my BMW the screen shows the last phone # when an incoming call comes in)? You call Palm they tell you to call the carrier. When I call Sprint they tell you that there is no update and to call Palm.

This is a circle jerk and with all the new competitors out there (Palm should be very worried about Samsung as the Blackjack looks like the real deal) they are going to find even the most loyal Treo fans hard pressed not to look at a Blackberry or Q or BlackJack as a reasonably priced alternative. In fact if if wasn't for CHATTER I would have skipped town a long time ago. So the 1 piece of software that keeps me tied to the Treo isn't even owned by Palm.

Ed Colligan, you better wake up and smell the coffee. You're arrogant with Apple and you don't think Steve and the boys will be able to figure out how to make a cell fone and a pda? At least Apple REGULARLY comes out with software upgrades to fix known problems. In the last 6 months there have probably been 6 iTunes upgrades.

Unfortunately, I think Palm will get purchased by MSFT and the next Treo will be a combo Zune phone, which will get me packing immediately.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Okay.......

Where's the Publishers Clearing House prize patrol?

I sent in my entry form months ago and had not received the 10 million dollar check yet.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I don't know what is going on with the delay concerning the letter being posted up on Treocentral's front page. With the holiday I figured it might be delayed but I had assumed that it would be up by now. I am going to try to find out today and will let everyone know what the deal is within the next 24 hours.

Thanks for email address RocketDude. There's no downside in trying it but I want to hear back from TC first.
    here's the reason for the delay: the letter has actually sparked an interesting conversation amongst the editorial staff here at TC. What does it mean to post such a letter on the frontpage, where's the line between what "TC Says" and what the "Community says," etc. And to be frank: I'm not keen on 'springing' this sort of thing on the world without fair warning. Oh, one more reason, I'm kinda busy.

Basically, as I think I've said before, I'm sympathetic to both sides here. Aggravating that there isn't a clearer kind of communication from Palm. But also sympathetic to Palm in that they're not a gigantic company, have to deal with carrier approval processes, that (to be blunt) we still mostly just have anecdotal evidence of issues and not proof that there's real bugs (though, again, that issue would be solved with better communication).

Here's my recommendation if you don't want to wait: Bob-C could start a new thread with the letter in PDF form as an attachment in the first post. Explain the letter and have the thread be the official "reply here to 'sign' the open letter" and keep this current thread around (and link it in the new thread) for more general discussion. I could then more easily post a front-page story about how you folks as a community have rallied together to make a statement about how you'd like better communication from Palm.
    subscription post
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    "we still mostly just have anecdotal evidence of issues and not proof that there's real bugs "

Are you kidding? I'm convinced that the people who see NONE of the problems discussed on these boards fall into one of three categories:

1) They have a lag in changing applications and just don't care about it.
    2) They have not used their 700p to the extent necessary to get the bugs to be noticeable. I think most agree that a hard reset does temporarily fix the problems.
    3) They somehow only use the exact set of applications (minus, for example, Versamail) that keep their Treo working more or less OK and they probably (like me) don't use Bluetooth or SMS.

But, sir, please, I think we all know that that there is abundant proof these things need an update to be 100% useable in the way Palm markets the product.
    My 650 always connected to BT devices and stayed connected. My 700p BT V 1.2 (W) is unreliable and often fails to pair with a previously trusted devices that used to work.
    No direct proof of bug? You've got to be kidding me! I've had every Treo there was and finally gave up on the 700p due to the extremely annonying lag that DOES come back even after hard resets and the like.

I loved the Verizon data but couldn't take the lags anymore and there really wasn't another device on Verizon I wanted.

Honestly, no proof? Man, did TC get bought by Palm? This is silly.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast