View Poll Results: Would you support the following campaign to get a 700p firmware update?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

410 95.35%
  • No

20 4.65%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Hey folks -

A couple notes:

1) I plugged this thread in the podcast
    2) In the podcast, Mike made a really good point - Palm doesn't have total control over when the firmware updates come out - oftentimes it's actually the carriers who are holding it up. In other words - addressing your grievances just to Palm may not help. Just saying. :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Hey folks -

A couple notes:

1) I plugged this thread in the podcast
    2) In the podcast, Mike made a really good point - Palm doesn't have total control over when the firmware updates come out - oftentimes it's actually the carriers who are holding it up. In other words - addressing your grievances just to Palm may not help. Just saying. :-/
    OK. Does this mean he is acknowledging the issues with the device? Does Palm have a fix that is being tested by the carriers? Or is this just a deflection?
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    *2 on sprint is also broken! Forgot about that one...
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    yeah, that works on and off for me too
    I still find it amazing that when I talk to tech support @ VRN, they admit it's the first time they have heard of "this lag problem."

Sign me up, but I think we need to presure Verzion too.
    "and if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    OK. Does this mean he is acknowledging the issues with the device? Does Palm have a fix that is being tested by the carriers? Or is this just a deflection?
    I don't have any inside info, sad to say, and I definitely will admit that there's likely a need for a ROM fix - although from what I can tell the 700p is still much more stable than the 650 (but I don't have a 700p either, so I really can't speak from personal experience). Just pointing out that it's possible that it's not entirely Palm's fault that we haven't seen an update yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm View Post
    I'll just hold on to my 700p until the Apple iPhone comes out... then it's bye-bye Treo forever...
    Your kidding right?

Your Treo will be 25 years old before that ever happens.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    This could be 3 fold.

1. PalmSource (access or ALP, or whatever) might be spending too much time working the their vaporware to work on the Legacy OS bug fixes. I still don't get why we have bugs for a 10 year old OS (or however long).

2. Could be the carriers needing certification, or MAYBE, just MAYBE they are working on getting BBConnect onto this firware.

3. Could be the standard Palm B.S.
    WAIT A MINUTE! I HAVE AN IDEA!

Maybe someone can take the hacked 650 firmware and pull the old SMS off and throw that on the 700p. It really can't hurt to try just as a regular prc file. I may work on this tonight.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Just pointing out that it's possible that it's not entirely Palm's fault that we haven't seen an update yet.
    Or maybe it's becoming obvious that Palm has no communication with it's customers..(End users, not Sprint, etc..)

I have been with Palm since 3Com and truly believe the Treo is the final death of palm. I think they feel that and is why they attempted to put an MS OS on it.
  11.    #91  
    Wow! We've broken 200 users now!

A nasty stomach virus has kept me off the computer this weekend but I am starting to feel better. Hopefully tomorrow I will be in good enough shape to work on the letter again. It will be done by end of week. And just to follow up Wilson's point, communication with the customers is one of the major themes in the letter.

Thanks to everyone for getting the word out. Keep up the good work.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    (Sorry off topic)

There's a lot of that stomach bug going on here in Central TX. For us it's the allergies knocking the immune system down and other stuff starts taking over...
    I'd like to see the new Palm OS (680 version) get some testing in the wild before it finds it's way onto my 700p.
    RALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just trying to get into the spirit.
    <br>
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie View Post
    RALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just trying to get into the spirit.
    I'm with you! I want my rom update now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Link is now also posted on MyTreo.net's Treo 700p forum:
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,41559.0.html

Although I don't think they liked it very much...
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    They'll crap their pants too when the update comes. Sometimes it just feels too good to be cool.
    In other words - addressing your grievances just to Palm may not help. Just saying. :-/
    correct, Of course it won't. they have nothing to do with it. it is the carriers.
    I don't want to be a Palm apologist, but I suspect many of the issues seen are software related. In addition, if I was running Palm, I'd want to take advantage of the fact that they can test a new OS build on the 680. After letting the 680 run through a month or two of user acceptance testing, Palm should have much more data for a comprehensive firmware update.

One thing to keep in mind, although us enthusiasts would like to see a firmware update ever month, firmware updates are very costly to the Palm and the carriers, as they get more than their fair share of newbie failed updates. I suspect they are trying to limit the number of fixes for this reason, and we will see fewer updates, but with a larger list of changes.
    One thing that would be very helpful, is if you contacted Palm with a procedure they can use to replicate the issue on a Treo that is hard reset. (The procedure can and may include installation of third party applications, but it would be better if you can replicate on a virgin Treo)

P.S. - The browser issue that was fixed on the 650 was identified in part, based on a case I opened with Palm. I had a procedure that caused browser to reset the 650.
    P.S.S. - If someone can show me how to replicate this issue, I am more than willing to open a case with Palm.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast