View Poll Results: Would you support the following campaign to get a 700p firmware update?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

410 95.35%
  • No

20 4.65%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I'm in!

This is sad that we have to beg/pressure Palm to fix a device they should have built correctly in the first place.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  2.    #22  
    I agree that this is sad. Best case scenario is we get some attention at Palm with this thread and quickly make it right so we can avoid the follow through on this.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Bob-C...you are the man!! I'm down, just let me know what I need to do and when to do it!!!!
    Count me in Bob-C - and add one more to your list.
    Ditto to what everyone else has said (that I haven't read - lazy)!
    i'm down.
    Don't forget to copy/notify key media of the effort as well. That will help carry the message and hold additional weight...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Also, what about doing something like www.ipodsdirtysecret.com? Perhaps FixtheTreo700.com?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    I am particularly interested to hear from the three people (2.78%) who have voted no.

Did you vote against it because you are not having any of these problems or because you disagree with this method of action?

If the former, man, am I jealous, because I so want a Treo 700p without these widely known problems!!

If the latter, what would you suggest we do? I for one would welcome any ideas, so please give us any you have.

Thanks and be well, all.

David
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbuckley View Post
    I am particularly interested to hear from the three people (2.78%) who have voted no.

Did you vote against it because you are not having any of these problems or because you disagree with this method of action?

If the former, man, am I jealous, because I so want a Treo 700p without these widely known problems!!

If the latter, what would you suggest we do? I for one would welcome any ideas, so please give us any you have.

Thanks and be well, all.

David
    dhbuckley - I was wondering the same exact thing...

It looks like the same frustration is brewing on the Palm forums as well.
    Take a look: http://forums.palm.com/pe/action/for...ostID=20330547
    +1

Come ON Palm.

As a side note, I started a new update thread over at the Palm forums (Brighthand). Please chime in over there also. The more noise we make at the various forums, (hopefully) the quicker Palm will respond with something.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...d.php?t=230724
    Last edited by adjmcloon; 10/24/2006 at 08:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    On the other hand, if one is so totally dissatisfied with the Treo 700p, why not sell it on eBay (recent sales between $250 and $350) and get a different handheld?
    Sure, you might take a small loss (probably under $150), but considering that the loss would be the equivalent of a pair of Nikes; a dinner for two with a bottle of wine or the cost attending a pro football game, why agonize?..."life is too short"

Find a unit that meets one's needs and move on.

I voted no

For the record, the only problem I had was the BT issue which is non-existent since I leave it on all the time.
    Last edited by haroldo; 10/24/2006 at 12:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I'm one of those who signed this up AND also said that I'm "HAPPY" with the device in another thread. I believe most of us believe that after 4 months it's really time to get an update from Palm. The most frustrating factor is that it seems that Palm has not been communicating well with the end users.

I definitely understand the logic of "if you're not happy, sell the unit, and move on". But what Bob-C is rallying is not an emotional one. The plan is well thought out and actually is for the welfare of not just us end-users but for Palm themselves. This is the reason why I'm game.

I believe most of us who voted yes believe that Treo 700p is a great device with a lot of potential that has been grown to be part of our daily lives. We want to be as civilized as we can be when we want the developer of the device to correct problems and respond to us. That's the bottom line.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    On the other hand, if one is so totally dissatisfied with the Treo 700p, why not sell it on eBay (recent sales between $250 and $350) and get a different handheld?
    Sure, you might take a small loss (probably under $150), but considering that the loss would be the equivalent of a pair of Nikes; a dinner for two with a bottle of wine or the cost attending a pro football game, why agonize?..."life is too short"

Find a unit that meets one's needs and move on.

I voted no

For the record, the only problem I had was the BT issue which is non-existent since I leave it on all the time.

Haroldo, I spent $750 on mine due needing mine for work and wanted to avoid the inconvience of having to sign another two year contract. The way that Palm advertised the phone and features listed through their website, it is the best option for me. I am a long term palm user and having issues with the core usability of the handset is something that can not be tolerated in a tool that is necessary in my everyday job function. While I can circumvent the need to use bluetooth (which has not worked even on "clean" handset), I can not tolerate the constant card disconnect (I have used 6 different cards to attempt to alleviate this issue) or the device resetting due to built in ROM applications such as the phone, sms and Verizon's built in mail client. I understand third party software causes instability and have limited the use of that. I am going on my third 700p since July; does that make sense for a product that should function as claimed out of the box? This is where my frustration comes in.

I am sure you understand that this rant was not directed at you, it is merely to show you the impact some people have experienced with Palm and the 700p.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Oh, I know, it is frustrating...but my point was for the casual user (like me) who paid $300 (I think) with a new 2 year VZW contract, the Treo is (like all other tech-toys) temporary. I don't casually throw away money, but I can see switching if a better toy comes around.
    Apologies for my 'flip' attititude, but with so much negative feelings toward the product, my thought was...why not switch?

BTW, my Treo might be flawed, but since I don't take advantage of alll the tools, my perception is blissful (as in ignorance is...)
  16.    #36  
    I thought you couldn't even buy a 650 from Sprint or Verizon anymore and NO ONE was screaming for a 650 update. Quite the opposite in fact. The 650 users are so happy with their handheld that they have been pointing out how their 650 works BETTER than the 700p for non-EVDO functions such as Bluetooth and has no lag when switching apps. Something we 700p have been forced to GROVEL TO PALM SUPPORT FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS WITHOUT ANYTHING BUT AMBIGUOUS RESPONSES!!!!! SO WHY WAS THE SOFTWARE SUPPORT RESOURCES FOCUSED on the 650???!?!?! [fyi -rhetorical question only
    ]

I was planning to give Palm a few more days to see if anything developed before moving ahead but this is the last straw. Motivation is the most dangerous thing to give to give to a person such as myself who happens to currently have some free time.

I am going to start composing that letter today.

Other issues:

Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    +1

Come ON Palm.

As a side note, I started a new update thread over at the Palm forums (Brighthand). Please chime in over there also. The more noise we make at the various forums, (hopefully) the quicker Palm will respond with something.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...d.php?t=230724
    adjmcloon

PLEASE adjmcloon... continue the thread over on the Palm site by all means. I also ask that you please post a link to this thread to get other users to sign Yes on the poll. I want to have soooooo many YES VOTES that, when I state the number in the letter, the recipients will want to see the thread for themselves. I will be including the URL in it for this purpose.

In addition, everyone please start a (single) thread on the other Palm websites pointing them to this thread to vote their support. Post something here when you have so we can keep avoid littering other sites with multiple threads about this. I can't do this alone. I need help from you all.

I am now planning that we can include the URL to this thread on the reviews we post to allow consumers to see how many people are dissatisfied.

As for persons who voted NO:: I can understand the curiosity that was expressed about it by those voting Yes, but I don't want to get off track in this thread. So I respectfully request that we all refrain from such a discussion. It serves little purpose in reaching the goal.

Thx all,

Bob
    I voted yes. Great idea. Would also be interesting to see how many people who live near their headquarters could get together for a press conference / protest. Companies really hate that.
    I voted yes. I bought my 700p with a BlueTooth headset. I returned the headset after one week because of all the problems I had keeping sync with the Palm and also poor audio quality. I didn't realize this was an issue with the 700p; I just was under the impression the BT in general was crap. LOL

I do notice sluggishness switching between apps. Sometimes when I am entering or leaving the web browser, I get a series of "clicks" as if I were pressing buttons or clicking the screen. I don't like that, but it's not to the point of being intolerable.

I guess the only thing I would say is that any firmware update fix more than just these two little issues. Pocket Tunes and Documents to Go both are in "ROM" and both just released new versions of their software. I hate having two copies of things on my handheld (old version in ROM, new version taking up RAM). So I'd like to see the new firmware include the new versions.

Actually y'all didn't mention the biggest issue I have with the 700p, which is the browser. On the broadbandreports speed test, my 700p is always lagging. I'm in an excellent reception area, but Blazer never reports better than 112kbps to 200kbps. But when I tether my 700p to my PC, using phone-as-modem, I'll get really nice speeds more in the range of 450kbps and higher. And that's with all the overhead associated with USB, the DUN connection, etc.

I'd also like to see some usability improvements like more control over backlighting (keypad OFF independent of screen) and the ability to record phone conversations clearly.

Overall I'm really happy with the Treo 700p, and I don't mind Palm taking the time to "get it right" so that the new ROM is rock-solid and has all the latest and greatest stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    I'm in a very similar situation. We are a small (< 10 ppl) software company. When Treo 650 rolled out the president and I 'lined up' to get the Treo. After a while the president sold his Treo and reverted to BB because of the issues. Afterwards all the co-workers got a BB instead of a Treo because of the president's bad experience. Even though I am in charge of technology in the company and have since 'upgraded' to 700p, I haven't been able to pursuade my coworkers to try another Treo. It's pretty sad.
    Yeah, I would never roll out a treo to users. It's way too finicky. I have my 700p and Im able to navigate around the sms freezing, and the horrible tethering support, i would NEVER let an average user try this thing.

I'm all for this proposal. Sad that the 680p has a better phone interface than a more advanced Palm device like the 700p. Not to mention no BBConnect! I had to spend $60 to get push! My 7250 was $199 and it did more useful stuff, I just needed the camera!
    Last edited by areyouwishing; 10/24/2006 at 09:20 PM.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryOtter View Post
    I voted yes. I bought my 700p with a BlueTooth headset. I returned the headset after one week because of all the problems I had keeping sync with the Palm and also poor audio quality. I didn't realize this was an issue with the 700p; I just was under the impression the BT in general was crap. LOL
    I hear you. Read that my Explorer was a tech product of the year on a tech site but have to make sure my 700p is clipped on the same side of my body. If I have one on left and one on the right, the reception becomes scratchy.

[/QUOTE=MerryOtter;1111370]

Quote Originally Posted by MerryOtter View Post
    Actually y'all didn't mention the biggest issue I have with the 700p, which is the browser. On the broadbandreports speed test, my 700p is always lagging. I'm in an excellent reception area, but Blazer never reports better than 112kbps to 200kbps. But when I tether my 700p to my PC, using phone-as-modem, I'll get really nice speeds more in the range of 450kbps and higher. And that's with all the overhead associated with USB, the DUN connection, etc.
    I noticed that Blazer response time had slowly but steadily kept degrading to what seemed to be really bad latency . What I found was that it was because of the cache had been full for too long. I found out that Blazer never clears it's cache on it's own unless you have the, "Clear Cache on Exit" Preference checked. I am guessing that once full, it begins deleting stuff from the cache on the fly as needed instead of clearing it all at once. I'd bet that it leads to fragmentation of memory which progressively gets worse the longer the cache goes uncleared. Try clearing the cache manually and make sure the cache size is set to the max of 4 MB. It will take awhile for it to clear the cache so don't worry and just be patient. On my Treo, Blazer speed increased tremendously. Let me know what happens.

Be aware that even if it helps though, it still be slower in tethering mode. I remember reading a review that stated the samething and I was skeptical. I am guessing that when you it tethered, your the heavy duty processor on your PC is doing all the html and graphic processing while the Treo is using all it's resources to simply handle data transfer. When you are using Blazer, the Treo now has to handle both functions which is a big problem for two reasons. One is that POS is not a multitasking OS and it only has a 300 mHz PC, so I don't know if Palm how much Palm could do about this.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast