Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Yup, in the final stretch. I am redoing the HTTP library to improve performance.

Expect something in the next couple weeks (I am extremely busy).

Programing is not too difficult. You just have to get the right tools.
    dkirker,

Curious, as I wait for the release for Universe, will this browser have the capability of exploring web sites that requires FLASH component?
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrys View Post
    dkirker,

Curious, as I wait for the release for Universe, will this browser have the capability of exploring web sites that requires FLASH component?
    This is a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    This is a possibility.
    I never saw this coming.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    subscribe
  6.    #126  
    Just as a note, I won't be commenting too much on future plans from here on out.

I have some pretty crazy things planned, but they are still undecided/in-the-works, therefore they are not a given.

But just remember, expect the unexpected.
    And when should we expect the unexpected? No offense, but this has been dragging on for quite some time.
  8.    #128  
    Always expect the unexpected.

It "has been dragging on for quite some time" because, like all projects, it takes time. My goal when I first announced this back in October was to make people aware that this was coming as soon as I could get it out. I had not set any planned released date because there is a general rule of thumb that by doing so, you will automatically curse yourself and you will miss the date.

Things would move along faster, but I am doing this along side college classes. Some days I would love to sit down and complete something, but that is just not possible.

My goal is to say "Hey, I am finished!" when i have something that won't crash every random time interval like Blazer or Versamail.

This is why I am going to do a Release Candidate. 1. Many web browser developers do this, and 2. It should give me a little more time to put the icing on the cake before it is served, so you have a cake that tastes and looks good, and not one that was just yanked out of the oven, stacked and served.
  9.    #129  
    And, no, my goal was not to turn this into something to over-excite and work the community up. The community does this on its own without outside help (usually the results of misinterpretation, such as the false end of the year release slip, that was over 1 year old and not for Universe, but for the release of WAPUniverse 3 which was canceled to allow for Universe).

So I apologize if I am appearing as if I were messing with people's heads/emotions.

Edit: But, what I will say is this: I have two things left to do. I am ~75% done with the first thing (which I started 3 days ago) and the second thing should take me a day. So, if that gives you any indication on when the Release Candidate should be available...
    dkirker - keep up the good work. We are all excited to see what you have developed and hence, that probably why you see some of the anxious posts. Just keep forging ahead and good luck to you.
    dkirker,

As a programmer with a huge company, I can relate the time consuming and pressure that you have bestowed upon yourself. From reading the past postings, I must say no matter what you are doing and have accomplished, it is of the great upmost appreciation for the time and work put into in creating a new browser. I can't wait until Universe will be release, knowing that it will be better than any browser on the market and beyond.

A job well done, dkirker, keep up with the good work.
  12.    #132  
    Thanks.
    will universe be able to save pictures the way blazer can? thats honestly the only reason i ever use blazer...web pro and xiino can't save pictures by clicking on them
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydol View Post
    will universe be able to save pictures the way blazer can? thats honestly the only reason i ever use blazer...web pro and xiino can't save pictures by clicking on them
    Yup! I figured that saving pictures, while such a minimal feature, was a very important one.

The internet isn't just a place to view things, but to share things as well.
    regarding the release candidate, where will it be? as you must be aware, lots of people are looking for a Blazer alternative, myself included. best luck!
  16.    #136  
    I will post details with that information when it is available. It will probably be at http://www.wapuniverse.com/.

you can also watch my blog at http://blog.openmobl.com/.
    dkirker,

I am not sure that this has been addressed, but I am going to ask anyways, The blazer has only the ability to change the font to small or large only, will the Universe have a more flexibility on the font function?
    dkirker,

Do you plan on having:

A full screen mode?

A user defined Cache limit (in Mb)?

Auto complete URL and Text boxes?

A favorites and saved webpages applet?

Unlimited file size download?

Kinoma player integration (streaming audio.. YouTube or Google video)?

Ability to display Google Calender and other heavily Java based websites?

A data usage counter?

JavaScript links loading before the present page is loaded?

A Popup list (similar to WM OS, after holding stylus down) with options like: details, copy link address/send link, view code, open link in new tab, select all, properties etc.?

A thumb mode (similar to Snapper) where the right scroll bar enlarges when being pressed?

Jump bar optimization? (Space bar jumps right to URL box)

A History applet?

A screenshot of the webpage in the browser window (similar to holding your cursor down on an application in Windows Vista)? (activated by holding your stylus on tab)

Key Mapping specific to the Treos? (Eg. the green button is Previous page, red button is Forward (on T680), N is open a blank tab, H is home page... All without pressing the option key(Similar to SnapperMail), this is disregarded once in a Text field or the URL box to avoid headaches)

A .Php page viewer?

A time/reception/battery indicator in the non full page viewer mode?

A speed testing applet? (seperate applet or just display Kbps while loading a page)

A "Fast mode" that disables images or cascading style sheets OR uses a seperate server to deliver an optimized page? (resize images etc.)

Alt + Q button as the Alt/Tab for the Tabs?

Well that's all I can think of right now.. Please respond.
    You can solve 99% of the Treo's problems with a hard reset.
  19.    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrys View Post
    dkirker,

I am not sure that this has been addressed, but I am going to ask anyways, The blazer has only the ability to change the font to small or large only, will the Universe have a more flexibility on the font function?
    Initially you will have the options of small, medium and large. Later I hope to introduce a complete font manager.
  20.    #140  
    Note, the numbers in the quote are mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by question View Post
    dkirker,

Do you plan on having:

1. A full screen mode?

2. A user defined Cache limit (in Mb)?

3. Auto complete URL and Text boxes?

4. A favorites and saved webpages applet?

5. Unlimited file size download?

6. Kinoma player integration (streaming audio.. YouTube or Google video)?

7. Ability to display Google Calender and other heavily Java based websites?

8. A data usage counter?

9. JavaScript links loading before the present page is loaded?

10. A Popup list (similar to WM OS, after holding stylus down) with options like: details, copy link address/send link, view code, open link in new tab, select all, properties etc.?

11. A thumb mode (similar to Snapper) where the right scroll bar enlarges when being pressed?

12. Jump bar optimization? (Space bar jumps right to URL box)

13. A History applet?

14. A screenshot of the webpage in the browser window (similar to holding your cursor down on an application in Windows Vista)? (activated by holding your stylus on tab)

15. Key Mapping specific to the Treos? (Eg. the green button is Previous page, red button is Forward (on T680), N is open a blank tab, H is home page... All without pressing the option key(Similar to SnapperMail), this is disregarded once in a Text field or the URL box to avoid headaches)

16. A .Php page viewer?

17. A time/reception/battery indicator in the non full page viewer mode?

18. A speed testing applet? (seperate applet or just display Kbps while loading a page)

19. A "Fast mode" that disables images or cascading style sheets OR uses a seperate server to deliver an optimized page? (resize images etc.)

20. Alt + Q button as the Alt/Tab for the Tabs?

Well that's all I can think of right now.. Please respond.
    1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 13, 15, 19, 20: Yes (saved web pages will be saved to the card, but it will be possible to create a bookmark too when saving). Fullscreen mode and saving web pages will be worked out during the RC.

3: This is planned

7, 9: Universe will not support JavaScript or CSS initially. I plan on working these features in. My goal is to support as much as possible. For full support I will be working on porting over Apple's WebKit (well, the Nokia Port, but this isn't planned until version 4.0).

8: potentially

11: I like this idea!

14: I want to implement something similar, but this may be pretty difficult since the devices have a limited amount of heap (this is completely different than free memory).

16: PHP is a server side script, so the browser is at the server's mercy.

17: I am looking at ways of working this into the already cramped interface. Some of this information may only appear when loading a page.

18: This will eventually get added when downloading a non-viewable file, but for a page, this may or may not get added. Once again, an interface issue.

Do not despair if some of the things that you want will not be added right away. This is a very active project and I intend on getting in as much as possible.
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast