Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Do you need any more beta testers? I'd love to help out in any way I can
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=dkirker;1195100]As for FontSmoother, I would recommend buying it either way if you like it. I think it is a great system font replacement. I use it (and I have had no issues with it!).QUOTE]

LOL, I was just trying to be creative in asking you about Universe's release.
    All will believe in Him! The question is when!
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    As for FontSmoother, I would recommend buying it either way if you like it. I think it is a great system font replacement. I use it (and I have had no issues with it!).
    LOL, I was just trying to be creative in asking you about Universe's release.
    I know. I still recommend FontSmoother. It is a great utility.

At the moment I am not looking for any more beta testers.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    will this browser be a big overhaul to the blazer experience?
    I gotta have more cowbell
  5.    #105  
    That is what I plan it to be.

At first it may not quite appear that way, but in the end (wait, end, I plan on this to keep going) it will better than Blazer. I am in the process of making big changes to it so that I can make it better than Blazer.

I am committing myself to this browser's active development.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I've been testing Universe on my Treo 700p for a while now and the current build in some ways is already better than Blazer. The tabs, private browsing, and the most unique navigation of any Palm browser ever.... and much more coming.
    Last edited by migs; 02/14/2007 at 06:34 PM.
  7.    #107  
    Be sure to thank the guys that develop the Nokia S60 Browser for the navigation feature. The S60 Browser inspired me to add it (and Mobile Internet Explorer's incompetence to determine that when the user taps "right" they probably want to go to the link to the direct right, and not a half of a page up and to the right added to that).

I have plenty more ideas for improving mobile browsing on the PalmOS.

Post if you have any thoughts too. I can't guarantee anything, but I would be curious to know what people can think of.
    each of your posts teases me lol. i'm anxiously waiting the release!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    I've been testing Universe on my Treo 700p for a while now and the current build in some ways is already better than Blazer. The tabs, private browsing, and the most unique navigation of any Palm browser ever.... and much more coming.
    Great to hear. I'm curious about what "private browsing" is?

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  10.    #110  
    It is like private browsing in Safari. All bookmarks and cached pages stored while it is enabled will be deleted when it is disabled.

This is good if you are using your friends Treo to check something, or you are doing sensitive transactions and you don't want anything stored.
    you may have answered this, but will this be available for palm tx and its full screen size? my family has both the tx and treo.

also, can it watch/save videos (at like youtube or google video)?

thanks!
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    You're killing me. Hurry up and tell dkirker it works great so we can have it too.
    Features sound nice, but I am such a person about usabilty (user controls of the browser and how the browser displays content appropriately) that I want to reserve my excitement until I get to play with it. I have to admit though, if this is pulled off nicely, it will breathe some life into the Garnet OS from a web standpoint and just might encourage a few more web-type widgets/apps for Garnet devices.

Second thought: gesture navigation is one thing on a square Treo screen, but it just might rock a whole lot more on the T5/TX/LD devices. I am very intrigued to see what can happen with websites in Universe on those devices.

Last feature type question:
    Will there (at some point) be extensions/widgets for Universe that would bring in the RSS, FTP, and other functionality? I am thinking of widgets only because it opens the door for development outside the browser (think Opera and Firefox), and could potentially keep the main program size down enough for 650 users who have to deal with cache issues.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  14.    #114  
    My goal with these features is to make the browser far more customizable. This way, it is *YOUR* browser, not mine. Everybody does things a little differently and the goal is to have a browser that can cater to this.

Widgets are definitely planned. Though, not for version 3.0. Probably something for 3.5. I am going to modularize Universe so that other apps can make use of it (i.e. break the HTTP and rendering engines off so that you can use them in a widget).

My goal is to port over Apple's WebKit, but this may take a long time (depending on if I can get help).
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    what are we gonna be looking at cost wise when ur ready to distribute universe?
    My goal with these features is to make the browser far more customizable. This way, it is *YOUR* browser, not mine. Everybody does things a little differently and the goal is to have a browser that can cater to this.
    Nice. Good approach. Please do keep a good level of control with it so that your development doesn't suffer and there becomes incentive for other companies to work with you.

Widgets are definitely planned. Though, not for version 3.0. Probably something for 3.5. I am going to modularize Universe so that other apps can make use of it (i.e. break the HTTP and rendering engines off so that you can use them in a widget).
    Interesting. That's something I was thinking about last night and its a nice one to hear. That most definitely opens the door to apps that work outside of the browser but have a web-tie-in. This alone could keep Garnet a viable platform for many uses. Granted, that networking library issue will prevent a few nicer things, but having the engine in some respects seperate from the browser could really be neat (I've got quite a few ideas but cannot code enough to make it happen).

My goal is to port over Apple's WebKit, but this may take a long time (depending on if I can get help).
    Now that is an endavor! That would be amazing if you could pull it off. And even moreso if some notable (and not yet notable) Garnet developers could chime in with you. There is probably not as much funds in doing it initally, but the notarity and usefulness of such a port would make a lot of IT-issued Treo users quite happy.

so universe is coming soon? i can't wait :-)
  18.    #118  
    Yes. I am tweaking some performance issues right now, and then it should be ready for a little pre-release public action.
    Yes. I am tweaking some performance issues right now, and then it should be ready for a little pre-release public action.
    you have no idea how much i'm loving you rght now. can't wait to try universe!
    Sounds like things are entering the final stretch. Coolbeans.

Of course, as I sat around today wondering why it was that I could not get more work done on my Treo, I began to think of the state of browsers and what I'd love to see them do.

I personally would like to learn how to make plugins for Universe. I have some ideas for plugins that will change the way that mobile browsers work for everyone, and I think that Universe will be one of the best browser platforms to try those ideas on. Of course I need to learn how to do some Palm programming, but I've read SDKs before, I am sure I could learn a few things