Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Not sure. Probably not (right away at least). Most of it is centered around specific PalmOS functions. I may look into it. First I would need to get some $$ for a WM device (the 750 looks pretty worthy).

So, I won't say no, but I won't say yes.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I'm impatiently waiting.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Why are there no links to your progress on your public profile?
  4.    #64  
    Probably because I have been busy with college and finals, as well as recovering from being sick (1.5 weeks ago) and I have been busy working on new features/bug fixes. Haven't had time to post to my blog.

I have had many bugs (well, not a ton, but some hard to fine), feature requests and cool ideas.
  5.    #65  
    I'll try to make a post on Monday.

The blog is at:
    http://dkirker-wapuniverse.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by dkirker; 12/18/2006 at 12:05 AM.
    Are you still on track for release before the end of the year? Can't wait to try this browser out
  7.    #67  
    Actually, the end of the year info given was on a site that had not been updated. The actual speculated release is by Q1 2007. That gives me a little more time. Most things are ready, but there are still a few more things that I am not quite happy about.

All I can say is keep watching the blog. I am going to try to update it often.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I have book marked it, I don't know how I missed this.................
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    From what is posted on the blog, seems like there will something akin to the mouse-gesture-driven UI similar to Nokia's web browser (and that new Win Mobile one Mobile Today posted about today).

While I think that is a great feature for viewing websites, on some sites that would not be so great as there will be more to view than not. Having that mode with a "mobile" mode that would show the site akin to a Blazer optimized mode as an option would be a good thing to have with this feature.

Speaking of that gesture-based mode: that will have a signifiant effect on the smallish DBCache of the 650 as the browser would have to do a heck of a nice job of optimizing the page view just to get it to fit. I wonder if there are going to be any free memory requirements for running Universe on the 650. I wouldnt expect the 700 and 680 to have this issue as they have larger caches, but it is an interesting issue.

All well, alls fun till we get to play sometime in Q1 07. Keep up the great work Dirker and thanks for the updates.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  10.    #70  
    Antoine, I am not sure that I follow.

Universe will make the best of the memory that it is given. Devices like the Tungsten T probably won't be able to load more than one page at most.
    Dkirer;
    That GUI that the Nokia browser has does two things. It renders the whole page and then shrinks it to fit onto the screen. You then get a zoom box and the page is then "zoomed in" to be able to fit. That would seem to take a good deal of dbcache as the entire page is not just being loaded like in any other browser, but rendered differently.

I would guess that many older devices wouldn't be able to open more than one page though. The 650 seems like it would be one of those as it has enough issue with pages that are 2MB in "weight" with Blazer.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Dkirer;
    That GUI that the Nokia browser has does two things. It renders the whole page and then shrinks it to fit onto the screen. You then get a zoom box and the page is then "zoomed in" to be able to fit. That would seem to take a good deal of dbcache as the entire page is not just being loaded like in any other browser, but rendered differently.

I would guess that many older devices wouldn't be able to open more than one page though. The 650 seems like it would be one of those as it has enough issue with pages that are 2MB in "weight" with Blazer.
    The E61 actually saved the previewed pages as thumbnails. So the 650 and others, should be able to handle Thumbnails no problem. after all, that is what the photo album does
    interesting, thanks for the clarity smilyboy.

14.    #74  
    At the moment Universe just allows for a mouse for navigation. At some point I want to add mini-map support, but these will be for later.

I am thinking about some tricks to make it work. Of course, these things would only work if the device had enough memory, and I would try to be as resourceful as possible.

By the way, I am looking at getting a European version of the Nokia E70 (so I can see how the Nokia Browser plays around). Does anybody know where I can find one for a really good deal. I don't want to pay more than US $400. Thanks.

-Donald
    Check out Expansis and GSM Arena. I believe also that PhoneSourceUSA might stock it as well.

Please also make it so that Palm can detect it as a default application
    Just a few thoughts for future features:

A download manager that could be installed as a plugin.
    The ability to highlight a word or line of words and then get a menu that would say copy or "search web for" like in Firefox and Opera. My thought is that it would open the search page in a new tab if possible and be a useer configurable search.

That's about all. Just had the thoughts and wanted to air them out before the year was done.

Happy new year to all.

18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Just a few thoughts for future features:

A download manager that could be installed as a plugin.
    Version 3.0 will prompt you that you will download a file before you download. Version 3.5 will probably have a download slip that will give you information on the download. I am not sure how I am going to work in a download manager.

The ability to highlight a word or line of words and then get a menu that would say copy or "search web for" like in Firefox and Opera. My thought is that it would open the search page in a new tab if possible and be a useer configurable search.
    I like this idea. I'll add it when text highlighting is added (sadly, I am not sure that this will make it into the 3.0 release, I am having to cut things that I don't want to in order to release soon).

That's about all. Just had the thoughts and wanted to air them out before the year was done.
    Feel free to express your thoughts.

Happy new year to all.
    Happy New Year! (4.5 hours left in '06!)
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by idian View Post
    Please also make it so that Palm can detect it as a default application
    Yup. I'll be throwing this in right before I release.
    I have another thing to add, that might just make Universe mentioned in more than mobile circles. See this article at Read/WriteWeb. If at some (much) later release, Universe were able to read microformats and then be able to parse that information into something usable (my thoughts is that it would be a plugin similar to how FF does now that a person installs, and then when they get to a site that has information formated in a microformat, they would be able to add that calendar entry, contact, geo coordinate, etc. right into their preferred application on their Palm). That would not only make the browser powerful, but it could/should conceivably change the way we browse. Plus, it would give us who develop webpages some easter eggs to place into pages for advertising or special features benefits.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast