Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425 LastLast
    What i learned from my years with the palm os is that it is hard to make a browser. Theres 3rd party programs for everything but almost nothing for browsers. There opera but that needs java and is extremly unstable. I just think its way to hard . think about it , if it could be done by a thrird party (a stable program) they would do it. It would be a "gold mine" as blazer lacking but after all these years and devices 600-650-700-750-centro. i just think its not possible for some reason. Think about it, All these developers and no browsers after like almost a decade. (Since the 300) . would love to hear from a developer. I agree with the previous poster, if , its a gold mine and if it could be done it would be. You could probally retire from the money you might get developin a stable and good browser for the treos-centros. I mean I would pay $100 for a good browser for my centro.
  2.    #422  
    It would have been a gold mine last March, but I did not have the money or force to take advantage of then.

The PalmOS is a great platform, but it is limited in some aspects (the fact that developers cannot officially create a 100% native ARM application is the most difficult).

The PalmOS is by far my favorite platform, as it will remain.

I still intend on doing some tinkering on Universe (on the PalmOS) and maybe getting it somewhere. There is a good probability that Universe will end up on a few other platforms, though.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I

The PalmOS is a great platform, but it is limited in some aspects (the fact that developers cannot officially create a 100% native ARM application is the most difficult).

T.
    Yeah I definetly think thats a huge issue and maybe the major block to a really good browser.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Actually, I will be at Palm for the summer. I won't be talking more about it though, so please do not ask.
    I won't ask, but here's hoping they hired you to develop a replacement for Blazer!!!

Have fun.
    It would have been a gold mine last March, but I did not have the money or force to take advantage of then.

Exactly. Too late now. There's no point to any of this (why wait for Universe when the Safari browser is available now on a much better platform and will keep getting better?). To be frank, PalmOS is a has-been. Good luck at Palm -- the company that dropped the ball not once (Cobalt), but twice (Foleo, getting the Linux version of the OS out the door in time). I'm willing to bet that it will be sold and dissolved in a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    If someone is truly passionate about a project it would have been completed quicker than this.
    I just guessing that your not a software developer. Good software is hard to write and it takes time, especially for such a limited platform as the Palm OS. Clearly Donald is passionate about his work... no one else we know of is even trying to develop a native Palm OS browser.

Have a good break Donald. Best of luck at Palm this summer.

The PalmOS is by far my favorite platform, as it will remain.

I still intend on doing some tinkering on Universe (on the PalmOS) and maybe getting it somewhere. There is a good probability that Universe will end up on a few other platforms, though.
    Does this mean that we are not likely to see a working version of Universe ever?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  8.    #428  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Does this mean that we are not likely to see a working version of Universe ever?
    I can't say for certain.

I plan is to eventually get it done, but I cannot guarantee that it will be on the PalmOS.
    I can't say for certain.

I plan is to eventually get it done, but I cannot guarantee that it will be on the PalmOS.
    not that I think for a minute that you haven't already had numerous volunteers to help test, but if you need a TX tester, let me know. best luck!
    Not quite dead yet:
    http://blog.openmobl.com/2008/06/lon...-universe.html

Let's see what surprises Donald has for us in August. Those of you in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley have a chance to see what he's come up with ... but alas an easterner like me does not.
    there's a further update on Donald's blog (above post has link); bottom line, it says don't look there for anymore Universe progress reports. So I'm hoping that any updates are posted here, or Brighthand.
    The interesting things about that are that Universe is still under development and by Donald as a Palm employee. Part of Nova?

I look forward (hopefully) to a report from the Stanford PalmPilot User Group August meeting next Tuesday.
    I'm hoping, too, for good news. An other place to keep an eye on might be the Universe website: http://community.openmobl.com/forum/index.php#4

the link goes to the forums section for the Universe Web Browser; currently, not much recent activity *sigh*
    Hey Don, I was wondering if there was any way to redownload universe for my treo again.

I used to have it for my 650 but have upgraded both my phone and the computer which stored the universe file.

Any way I can retrieve even an older version of universe or is this off limits now?

By the way, sincere thanks for the immense effort you put forth on this. This was very much appreciated by the palm community.
    this thread: http://community.openmobl.com/forum/...pic=130.0;wap2

has working download links
    Quote Originally Posted by rick10254 View Post
    this thread: http://community.openmobl.com/forum/...pic=130.0;wap2

has working download links
    Thanks, Rick. I greatly appreciate your posting that link. So far I can't seem to download it directly to my treo, as it is placed on the card and not the device.

Ill try to download it from my desktop instead to see what happens there though.

Thanks again.
    just saw this post from Donald, over at Brighthand:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showpost...82&postcount=7

in a nutshell, he said there will be a link in his blog tonight, for a pre-alpha version (his words).
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    For convenience, that blog (I believe) is here: http://blog.openmobl.com/
    Did anybody go to the Stanford Palm Users Group meeting on Tuesday and if so can you please give us a report on the Universe demo?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Unless I'm looking at the wrong blog or not digging deep enough, I'm not seeing anything yet. I would expect the post to be on the front page though... I hope this release gives Palm users what we've been looking for - and all without loading the JVM.