Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post edited to reflect correctness.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I am not sure when something like you ask might happen. This might be more tailored to a special application since a plugin is more under the control of the web developer.

Essentially any plugin would stream what it is told.

Sorry if this wasn't the exact answer that you were looking for.

Thanks, D. I asked Kinoma about this when I first found their application. They told me you were in development -- and that your browser was being designed to take care of this sort of thing. I had emailed you about a start date, and you replied that your broswer was also going to work with Kinoma. Should I go back to them? Again, this was based on a hope that there would be a palm browser capable of handling on-demand "finite" audio streams for at least windows media and possibly real audio. I understand if its not a priority, but if you want Universe to do everything that a PC (or MAC) (or for that matter a Pocket PC) browser does, this would be one of the features. In fact, WEB PRO meets most of my needs fairly well -- it's just here that it's lacking. I was hoping, however, that Universe would surpass the "fairly well" -- and do what Web Pro (or Blazaer) cannot do at all.

Best/Adam
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewreaths View Post
    Thanks, D. I asked Kinoma about this when I first found their application. They told me you were in development -- and that your browser was being designed to take care of this sort of thing. I had emailed you about a start date, and you replied that your broswer was also going to work with Kinoma. Should I go back to them? Again, this was based on a hope that there would be a palm browser capable of handling on-demand "finite" audio streams for at least windows media and possibly real audio. I understand if its not a priority, but if you want Universe to do everything that a PC (or MAC) (or for that matter a Pocket PC) browser does, this would be one of the features. In fact, WEB PRO meets most of my needs fairly well -- it's just here that it's lacking. I was hoping, however, that Universe would surpass the "fairly well" -- and do what Web Pro (or Blazaer) cannot do at all.

Best/Adam
    Well, parts work with Kinoma.

If you click on a link with a stream URI (like rtsp://<the rest>) or there is a page with embedded content, then Universe will pass off to Kinoma. Downloading a playlist does not quite work yet.

Support is about 50-75% there. There are just so many paths that a web developer can take to present streaming content (and then sometimes there are many variations).

I am trying to work on a solution that will work well with most or all combinations (some combinations are just not suitable, or more like not optimized, for mobile devices at this time and will be much harder to impement).
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Well, parts work with Kinoma.

If you click on a link with a stream URI (like rtsp://<the rest>) or there is a page with embedded content, then Universe will pass off to Kinoma. Downloading a playlist does not quite work yet.

Support is about 50-75% there. There are just so many paths that a web developer can take to present streaming content (and then sometimes there are many variations).

I am trying to work on a solution that will work well with most or all combinations (some combinations are just not suitable, or more like not optimized, for mobile devices at this time and will be much harder to impement).

That you're working so hard to meet everyone's wants (and everybody has different wants for Universe) is most appreciated. When do you think the commercial version will be available on palm gear?
    @dam
  5.    #345  
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewreaths View Post
    That you're working so hard to meet everyone's wants (and everybody has different wants for Universe) is most appreciated. When do you think the commercial version will be available on palm gear?
    @dam
    Not sure when 3.0 will be ready. I am trying to get bugs down right now. So, I'd venture to say... when those are done.
    Hmmm I also can't access the treo news,reviews page on treo.tc. I get this screen error.
    Last edited by palandri; 07/12/2009 at 11:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Hmmm I also can't access the treo news,reviews page on treo.tc. I get this screen error.
    That is a server side error. There might be some browser checking that is going on that is throwing a loop into the SQL query. Try that link in Blazer and if you are not getting the same error, then it would be first a SQL issue and lastly a browser one (most likely not the latter).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Dkirker, thanks for working the bugs out for the 650. I love the interface. The tabbed web pages along with the mouse feature are very nice. Lots of potential here.

Just to let you know, when I try to go to www.mobile.cnn.com on universe, the message, " host failed" appears. When I click "ok" the treo resets. Many sites load without issue, but that particular site seems to be a problem.

Just updating you on that. Your work on this project is fantastic, however. keep plugging, this will pay off for you!
    I gotta have more cowbell
    That website listed above is also causing universe to reset my treo too.
    Also, blazer is having not issues displaying the treo news/reviews page.
    Let me try that again.

Blazer is NOT having issues displaying the treo News/reviews page.
  11.    #351  
    I will look into these issues.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    For some reason, when I go to check my gmail (gafyd), it comes up with:

Error: failed to retrieve the requested URL

the site is mail.razorfrog.com
    razorfrog; Univrse does not support the SSL protocol that is needed for GMail. That is coming per earlier comments from Donald.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I use Resco Neeews now instead of QN, and I told Resco to implement your browser in the next release of their software because one day yours will be the only browser anyone uses. Xiino will be deleted off of my Palm, and Blazer wont be used anymore.

Anyway, here is what one of the developers had to say.....

Ok, I tried Universe and besides a disappointment - the interface does exists. We'll export it with the next update.

Why disappointment? I looked into the sources at some 100-200 lines of code (just the part I needed to understand the API) and found errors and inefficient programming.

Plus connection problems, crashes, missing information (download size).

Pluses: rss detection + rendering might have been better, but I tested too little.

Don't be too optimistic. RC1 should look much-much better.

Best regards
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it is possible for you to check out what the problems were they saw, and it might actually help better you in finding any errors, or speed up the process. Maybe they can tell you what they saw. I know it seems like a harsh statement, but I know its not intended that way. Sometimes we miss things that others see.

If you want too, here is the link to the forum...

http://www.resco.net/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=9306

Thanks, and good luck with the ongoing development.
  15.    #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I use Resco Neeews now instead of QN, and I told Resco to implement your browser in the next release of their software because one day yours will be the only browser anyone uses. Xiino will be deleted off of my Palm, and Blazer wont be used anymore.

Anyway, here is what one of the developers had to say.....

Ok, I tried Universe and besides a disappointment - the interface does exists. We'll export it with the next update.

Why disappointment? I looked into the sources at some 100-200 lines of code (just the part I needed to understand the API) and found errors and inefficient programming.

Plus connection problems, crashes, missing information (download size).

Pluses: rss detection + rendering might have been better, but I tested too little.

Don't be too optimistic. RC1 should look much-much better.

Best regards
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it is possible for you to check out what the problems were they saw, and it might actually help better you in finding any errors, or speed up the process. Maybe they can tell you what they saw. I know it seems like a harsh statement, but I know its not intended that way. Sometimes we miss things that others see.

If you want too, here is the link to the forum...

http://www.resco.net/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=9306

Thanks, and good luck with the ongoing development.
    Thanks.

I am redoing many of the things that causes the bugs that they mentioned.

I am curios as to what errors in the code that they found that they found.

I guess I might as well change the status to beta... Apparently many more bugs are coming up now than did in my tests or than what my beta testers reported to me.
    Last edited by dkirker; 03/21/2007 at 02:46 PM.
    Hello Donald,

Let me know if you still want me to get the prc tools and multiple segment linker compiled under OSX. If so, I'll work on it this weekend.

I could also help if you want bugzilla or something setup to track feature requests and/or bugs. Over the years, I have setup bugzilla several times for groups I have worked in. But I'm always interested in learning something new if you have another preference. Unfortunately I have Charter service for my broadband and their uplink is awful where I live (~12-16KB/s) so I can't host another bugzilla on my home server (for public access).

BTW, what is the best way to reach you? post here or somewhere else?

Mike
    Donald,

By all means, the "release candidate" was not a dissappointment at all. You have a product that, so far from all the people that have downloaded and used, really, really likes and looks forward to the final version. You have open the door to a better browser that is long been coming. Everybody here knows that there will be crashes, bugs, and mistakes the first couple go arounds. The inputs from everybody is the key essential for you to narrow done these bugs and produce a much better browser in the near future.

I am sure that everybody that has stated one way or another of potential crash or bug is more than willing to help you in everyway possible. Please let us know how we can help you so that you can produce the ultimate browser for us.

Thanks again for this wonderful browser!!!
    Barry
  18.    #359  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrys View Post
    Donald,

By all means, the "release candidate" was not a dissappointment at all. You have a product that, so far from all the people that have downloaded and used, really, really likes and looks forward to the final version. You have open the door to a better browser that is long been coming. Everybody here knows that there will be crashes, bugs, and mistakes the first couple go arounds. The inputs from everybody is the key essential for you to narrow done these bugs and produce a much better browser in the near future.

I am sure that everybody that has stated one way or another of potential crash or bug is more than willing to help you in everyway possible. Please let us know how we can help you so that you can produce the ultimate browser for us.

Thanks again for this wonderful browser!!!
    Barry
    Thanks!

The regression is mostly because the browser isn't at Release quality like I had thought. This will also make things a bit lighter on me.

Quote Originally Posted by kedl
    Hello Donald,

Let me know if you still want me to get the prc tools and multiple segment linker compiled under OSX. If so, I'll work on it this weekend.

I could also help if you want bugzilla or something setup to track feature requests and/or bugs. Over the years, I have setup bugzilla several times for groups I have worked in. But I'm always interested in learning something new if you have another preference. Unfortunately I have Charter service for my broadband and their uplink is awful where I live (~12-16KB/s) so I can't host another bugzilla on my home server (for public access).

BTW, what is the best way to reach you? post here or somewhere else?

Mike
    Mike,

Please do!!! (if you have the time)

I have a host that I am going to put the bugzilla on (I just need to put some money in it, it is NearlyFreeSpeech's prepaid hosting, pretty nice).

I did stick a bugzilla up, but, either bugzilla had a bug with its emailing feature, or nearlyfreespeech does not support it. I am not sure which and I need to get the latest version and email the bugzilla team.
    OK, playing with OSX is on the menu for this weekend.

With the bugzillas I've used you need to setup a cron job to run hourly or daily or whatever to "whine" about overdue bugs, etc. Whenever someone enters a bug or it changes owner (or whatever) it should send an email immediately (using the configured choice of sendmail, qmail, etc in defparams.pl and of course if the sendmailnow option is on in defparams.pl).

Did neither email work?