Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Lovely....

The crash is where Universe allocates memory to store all of its globals. This will be fun to fix...
    what did u change between rc1 and beta 268 since beta v268 runs fine
  2.    #222  
    The things I changed should not cause some of these issues on the Treo 650.

Anyway, I'll have another test version out soon.
    Okay, I'm feeling pretty dumb right about now. I installed the latest beta of Universe last night (along with the support files), and I tried running it for the first time just now, and it reset my TX as soon as it tried to establish a WiFi connection. Now my TX is completely unstable - when I start it up, it goes to the "Confirm Date and Location" screen, and if I press either the hard-Home or soft-Home buttons, the TX resets itself! My palm is nearly unusable, and I don't know how to get to a point where I can uninstall the beta.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Huxley
    Quote Originally Posted by huckdunsany View Post
    Okay, I'm feeling pretty dumb right about now. I installed the latest beta of Universe last night (along with the support files), and I tried running it for the first time just now, and it reset my TX as soon as it tried to establish a WiFi connection. Now my TX is completely unstable - when I start it up, it goes to the "Confirm Date and Location" screen, and if I press either the hard-Home or soft-Home buttons, the TX resets itself! My palm is nearly unusable, and I don't know how to get to a point where I can uninstall the beta.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Huxley
    Okay, so it's lame to quote yourself, but I was able to get into the (wonderful!) FileZ program (by changing one of the soft-buttons), and I deleted all the Universe files (and the GIFlib file), but I'm still having more-or-less the same issue: when I press the "Home" button, I can use the standard Launcher, but if I press the button again (or tap the Applications entry in the Launcher), the TX immediately resets itself. Sigh.

I hope I'm not thread-jacking, but all this seems to have started from the first moment I ran the Universe beta. I'm totally excited to try this browser as soon as I can get it working, but I'm pretty much stuck right now.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    The things I changed should not cause some of these issues on the Treo 650.

Anyway, I'll have another test version out soon.
    I tried a few more ways to install rc1 everything from a clean install to restoring all universe files created by v268 then replacing just the universe prc and it still crashed on launch then i tried various files to install from a backup and it still crashed it only runs using the v268 beta prc i love resco backup by the way its great for just this thing. im sure youll get this working donald many people here want to "play" and i want to change my avatar from an Nweb picture.
    Another distressed TX user here.

I got it to start up, went to a few pages, and I thought maybe they have CSS on them them, because they all rendered really poorly. But I just went to the treo discussion page referenced above and I'm not getting any images or colours at all. Nothing.

I had a couple of resets as well, but that's when trying to open a link. At least the program opens for me!

[Edit]

Ack, I noticed I wasn't actually at the page referenced before (Treo General Chat), so I tried to go there, and now I'm in a loop of cookie requests. I was previously getting a cookie request on every single page I visited, and multiple times, now it is a constant, one request after another.
    Last edited by Group51; 03/10/2007 at 07:45 PM.
  7.    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by huckdunsany View Post
    Okay, so it's lame to quote yourself, but I was able to get into the (wonderful!) FileZ program (by changing one of the soft-buttons), and I deleted all the Universe files (and the GIFlib file), but I'm still having more-or-less the same issue: when I press the "Home" button, I can use the standard Launcher, but if I press the button again (or tap the Applications entry in the Launcher), the TX immediately resets itself. Sigh.

I hope I'm not thread-jacking, but all this seems to have started from the first moment I ran the Universe beta. I'm totally excited to try this browser as soon as I can get it working, but I'm pretty much stuck right now.
    Grrr....

I wish that I could say that I knew what was wrong.

Something got corrupted. I have no clue how or what (maybe saved preferences or the launcher database?).

How did you try to establish a connection? I need **all** of the steps that you took (every detail please), otherwise I will not be able to help you.

I need to be able to reproduce this on my TX here with the steps that you give me.
  8.    #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    I tried a few more ways to install rc1 everything from a clean install to restoring all universe files created by v268 then replacing just the universe prc and it still crashed on launch then i tried various files to install from a backup and it still crashed it only runs using the v268 beta prc i love resco backup by the way its great for just this thing. im sure youll get this working donald many people here want to "play" and i want to change my avatar from an Nweb picture.
    It is some stupid memory thing internally. I have a special counter, and well, I think that I was trying to write to it when I had not established the globals... I feel stupid... But, it will hopefully be fixed now

I am prepping a new test version. Hopefully it will fix things.
    Last edited by dkirker; 03/10/2007 at 07:54 PM.
    Thanks, Donald. Just loaded and looks good. So, far, though, it won't do audio stream on demand, at least at pages www.npr.org

and

www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/

Audiostreaming is the main reason I had my hopes on Universe. I have Kimona loaded -- is there anything else I need to set up? At the BBC, I chose "Windows Media" (as opposed to Real Audio). Also, loading the above two pages, esp. the NPR, very
    slow, even with pictures turned off.

---Adam R.
  10.    #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewreaths View Post
    Thanks, Donald. Just loaded and looks good. So, far, though, it won't do audio stream on demand, at least at pages www.npr.org

and

www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/

Audiostreaming is the main reason I had my hopes on Universe. I have Kimona loaded -- is there anything else I need to set up? At the BBC, I chose "Windows Media" (as opposed to Real Audio). Also, loading the above two pages, esp. the NPR, very
    slow, even with pictures turned off.

---Adam R.
    Weird. I will take a look at them.

A newer HTTP engine will make things faster (I have done some basic testing, it is fast), and I will also be working on a new rendering engine. Should also makes things faster.

Just a quick question. Does the streaming work in Blazer?

Anyway. I'll get this to work. Unfortunatly, there are a million different ways to get streaming, and none of them are really easy or favorable to a more mobile device.
  11.    #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    what did u change between rc1 and beta 268 since beta v268 runs fine
    Now I do know what I changed to make things bad....

I added a custom memory "manager." Well, it does not manage the memory, it just keep track of used memory.
    Great! Oh, btw, running on a tungsten C (which shows it does run on that device).
  13.    #233  
    Ok, new test at:

h ttp://www.wapuniverse.com/downloads/Universe_RC1_test2.prc

(You'll have to copy and paste and remove the space between the h and the ttp).

It will still display the numbers, but it should not crash.
  14.    #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewreaths View Post
    Great! Oh, btw, running on a tungsten C (which shows it does run on that device).
    AH! Not a Treo.

Ok. I had no doubts about the Tungsten C. I still love Palm's Tungsten devices (not palmOne's, the T5 was pretty weak when it came to "upgrading" the T3). I still have and test on my T3. The Tungsten line is still a very powerful group of PDAs. I'll even consider the TX a Tungsten (Actually, Tungsten X I think was its test unit name).
    Great, it is now running on my Verizon Treo 650!
    Thanks for fixing that so quickly.
    I'm just starting to play with it now.

Thanks for a cool program.
    Mike

Ok, new test at:

h ttp://www.wapuniverse.com/downloads/Universe_RC1_test2.prc

(You'll have to copy and paste and remove the space between the h and the ttp).

It will still display the numbers, but it should not crash.
    hey don, i just tried out test 2 on my palm tx. it counted up to 35 or so, then it goes to the browser. i try to load a page on partial screen, and the pictures overlap (it doesn't finish loading). then i tried wide screren, it still didn't finish loading. i accidentilly forgot to put .com on one website and it reset. but ya...still really slow, but getting better dude! thx for ur hard work. i'm also hoping that this isn't effecting your grades in your classes.
    ~andy~
    Oh, yes, I forgot to answer the rest of your question: I run web pro, since blazer is not available for the tungsten. Streaming works only through pocket tunes, and only "constant" streaming of shoutcast and a few other sites, not on demand for, let's say, an npr or bbc five minute news bulletin. Kinoma news media guide works well, but doesn't include everything. I was originally heard about Universe from the folks at Kinoma.
    very nice interface and tab system. Lots of potential.

Unfortionately, it can't be my main browser without at least some javascript support. Too many sites are just useless without jscropt.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to see where this goes!
    On Sprint 650 (with test2):
    00,01,02...,038, Eureka(launches!)

No, Don, not another launcher program - lol

Loaded up classic google: google.com/webhp
    and it's fine. Click on news (for google news) and takes a long time - mucho graphics and text.

Yay!!! Looking forward to the faster engine.
    Off to play

Oh, I kinda like the pointer for use with Dpad - hold down Dpad continuously and page scrolls, tap Dpad in a direction and pointer moves. Neato - nice hands free operation.

Off to browse.
    Thanks Don!

ps Got loads of Universe files (Url, History, CookieJ, Conn, Cache
  20.    #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by andddlay View Post
    hey don, i just tried out test 2 on my palm tx. it counted up to 35 or so, then it goes to the browser. i try to load a page on partial screen, and the pictures overlap (it doesn't finish loading). then i tried wide screren, it still didn't finish loading. i accidentilly forgot to put .com on one website and it reset. but ya...still really slow, but getting better dude! thx for ur hard work. i'm also hoping that this isn't effecting your grades in your classes.
    ~andy~
    Thanks for being concerned. I really hope it does not have a huge impact. Classes have been insane. Except for the few bugs, Universe is the only thing keeping me sane.

I'll try to add a URL handling algorithm in (i.e. if you type http://www.google/ it will make http://www.google.com/ and maybe it will be smart and look at your URL history ).

What website is it? There is a little issue that if a site does not properly terminate with </body></html> it will still look like it is loading.