Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any word whether 680 will have Fat32 file system for use of 4GB SD's?
    I don't know for sure, but it seems inconceiveable to me that it would not support Fat32. Larger than 2GB cards are commonplace now, and even Palm's not that stupid.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Palm's website states that it can handle external storage of up to 2gb which would indicate no FAT32 support. However, someone posted here that it does support FAT32, which I would tend to believe. The 700p has it, so there is no reason the newer 680 would not.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Supports non-SDHC 4gb card but not SDHC 4gb card.
  5.    #5  
    what is SDHC?
    Compliments of Google:
    What is SDHC? SD High Capacity (SDHCTM) card is the new SD™ memory card based on the SDA2.00 specification, introduced by the SD Card Association. This new SDA 2.00 specification enables SD cards to reach higher capacities - 4GB-32GB*.Because SDHC works differently then standard SD cards, this new format is notbackwards compatible with legacy SD format host devices. More SDHC compatible devices are expected to be available in the second half of 2006. To ensure compatibility, look for the SDHC logo on cards and host devices (cameras, camcorders, etc.)Compatibility with SDHC 4GB: 4GB SDHC cards can only work with SDHC compatible host devices. To ensure compatibility, look for the SDHC logo on the packaging. Please check with your device manufacturer for their current/future supported SDHC devices
    The Treo 680 has a FAT32 driver in the OS. I've not personally tried any 4GB or larger SD cards on the device, but based on previous devices that have this driver, I say they will likely work. SDHD support is more iffy.
    Is sdhc a hardware feature or can Palm update the OS and support sdhc?
    Should be hardware. SDHC cards are also FAT32 formatted, or at least they can be.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    What about starting a sticky thread about which 4 gb cards that are supported and have been tested now that people are starting to get their phones?
    Unlocked GSM 680
    Quote Originally Posted by swedenliketreo View Post
    What about starting a sticky thread about which 4 gb cards that are supported and have been tested now that people are starting to get their phones?
    Here's a thread for 4gb cards that work on the 700p. It should work for the 680 since they are very similar devices.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=4gb
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Do you think it would be possible to build 2 cards into one? Possibly making you flip it arround? or have a little physical switch like the sound silencer glider on the treo? This glider could then choose which of the SD cards was presented to the treo. You would still have to flip over the card, but at least you would not have it lying loose arround, getting lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    Do you think it would be possible to build 2 cards into one? Possibly making you flip it arround? or have a little physical switch like the sound silencer glider on the treo? This glider could then choose which of the SD cards was presented to the treo. You would still have to flip over the card, but at least you would not have it lying loose arround, getting lost.

Why bother, current SDHC cards (all two of them) are slower than non-SDHC cards. Until you get to 8-16GB, there is no advantage for SDHC cards. Hopefully a firmware update for Treo will be out by then.
    Fat32 yes. Larger than a 2GB card, no.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    According to mytreo.net article, 4GB cards are supported:

...documentation I found a note that said you could expand the internal memory by up to 2GB using an SD card. Does this mean that the Treo 680 won't support the larger 4GB SD cards? I gave it a shot by inserting my 4GB Transcend SD card and was able to copy some applications from the card to my Treo 680. So while Palm may still be cautious about claiming support for SD cards larger than 2 GB, it appears they way work at least as well as they do in the Treo 700p.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Actually, 4GB cards that aren't SDHC should work, however, they are not technically SD spec cards as the SD spec topped out at 2GB (for some weird reason). Folks have gotten the same cards to work with the TX and 700p, but Palm doesn't say anything larger than 2GB in any docs/convos concerning the 680.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I plug the 4Gb Transcend 150x which currently running on my treo 650 (w/ FAT32 modified ROM) and everything works just fine EXCEPT TOMTOM 6 (which cause the reset)
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv View Post
    I plug the 4Gb Transcend 150x which currently running on my treo 650 (w/ FAT32 modified ROM) and everything works just fine EXCEPT TOMTOM 6 (which cause the reset)
    Two questions:

1. Did you have to reformat the card first?

2. Have you run card info on it and if so, what does it say the actually capacitiy is--is it actually seeing (close to) 4 GB?
    Antoine - Thank you for connecting me to MMM! Just what I've been looking for for weeks! -Jefferson-
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Two questions:

1. Did you have to reformat the card first?

2. Have you run card info on it and if so, what does it say the actually capacitiy is--is it actually seeing (close to) 4 GB?
    1. I don't have to re-format the card before I insert it into Treo 680.
    2. Yes. It shows the actual capacity as it should (3.8GB)

P.S one bad thing about 4GB Transcend 150x card is that it is not as fast as it advertised. I can say it is the slowest card I've been used (among Kodak 1GB, Sandisk 2 Gb, Sandisk Ultra 2 Gb)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast