1.    #1  
    I have 2 600s. (Long story).

#2: The handset speaker has ceased functioning. I can hear the party on the other end of the call with a headset, but not the handset speaker.

Any ideas?
    Search for 'earpiece speaker' in this forum. If you are comfortable in opening up your Treo, it's an easy fix - just bend the connector to make better contact. I've done this with no problem.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  3.    #3  
    The issue got more interesting today. I had never used the speaker phone option, so I tried it intending to use it as a stopgap until I could really fix the problem. When I select SPEAKER PHONE, I can also hear the caller through the handset speaker. Therefore the handset speaker is functional.

Now that is weird. I have changed the REAR or speakerphone speaker and stretched the springs on speaker out a little, so I know how to do that. But I am confused about the handset speaker now working with a call unless SPEAKER PHONE is selected.

Ant ideas about that
    Same thing here - Can you really hear it thru the handset speaker, or is the speakerphone(rear) speaker just really loud so you hear it THRU the phone. I personally think my speaker is dead and I was able to pop open the treo but couldn't do anything to revive the earphone (front) speaker.