Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Since the Treo runs out of juice pretty fast for a lot of people, why not start a thread and for everyone to share their tips on how to preserve battery life. I've heard a lot of stuff from turning off BT, turning off Beam Receive, there's a program out there that turns off the keyboard light and you can use the side button to turn it back on when needed and etc.

    What else?
  2. #2  
    I guess this one is well known, but turning the "Location" function off (911 only) should help. You can find this option under phone pref.
  3. noodle's Avatar
    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #3  
    I use 911 only, turn off voice privacy, turn off beam, set the dim/auto shutoff to 30sec/15sec, keep the backlight down, only use chatter manually when I feel like checking my mail, having mailboxes offline when not syncing(not recomended for those of you needing push).Other then that I can't think of much else.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
  4. #4  
    Shutting off your data connection, especially when you are on a EvDO network helps a lot.
  5. #5  
    I don't understand why turning off your data connection would help, unless its a strong-armed way to keep programs set to automatically check things like email from accessing the data network...
  6. haroldo's Avatar
    Posts
    435 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #6  
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    I don't understand why turning off your data connection would help, unless its a strong-armed way to keep programs set to automatically check things like email from accessing the data network...
    If you notice when you are connected you will see a active connection every so often when you are not doing anything... hence draining the battery. (even if you have no other apps using it)
  8. #8  
    I paid about 25 for two extra batteries.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    If you notice when you are connected you will see a active connection every so often when you are not doing anything... hence draining the battery. (even if you have no other apps using it)
    I've noticed that - but it happens so infrequently that I can't imagine that its toll on the battery is significant...still, given the nature of the OP its an angle.

    I am fairly convinced that the single biggest cause of battery drain are third party apps like Goodmail and Chatter that use processing power regularly. I don't have those kinds of apps - I check Versamail manually...and I find that my battery life is "typical" for the type of usage and device that I have.
  10. #10  
    i went from a 650 to 700p and notice a difference in battery life. I use the 700p exactly the same as the 650 (no email).

    I have even used the 650's battery. I use profilecare to manage the keyboard lights and screen brightness. I personally think the screen brightness is higher with the 700 than the 650 and this could be the extra draw. when the phone is idle for long periods of time the battery life is about the same.
    _____________
    Visor -> Treo 650 Cingular UNLocked (Cing. Blue Phone on Orange Network) -> vzw 700p -> VZW Centro (much better)
  11. Rob_T's Avatar
    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post

    I am fairly convinced that the single biggest cause of battery drain are third party apps like Goodmail and Chatter that use processing power regularly. I don't have those kinds of apps - I check Versamail manually...and I find that my battery life is "typical" for the type of usage and device that I have.
    I agree. I use VersaMail as well, and check it manually. My battery lasts through the day, easily.

    Apps. like Chatter that hit the Internet automatically thoughout the day hit the battery pretty hard.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  12. #12  
    Well, for what its worth, Chatter with its new energy management options has me lasting after a day in the low 80 to high 70% range (but this is only if I am in EVDO- not so in a fringe area where it chews up the battery- but this is not a Chatter issue, rather a network issue of Sprint, I beleive. The phone senses EVDO and tries to use it as opposed to R1x and thus uses more battery- not Chatter's fault). If you haven't used the new betas of Chatter and its energy management, you are in for a PLEASANT surprise!
  13. noodle's Avatar
    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #13  
    I also remember disabling get time from network. set it and forget it...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylork View Post
    Well, for what its worth, Chatter with its new energy management options has me lasting after a day in the low 80 to high 70% range (but this is only if I am in EVDO- not so in a fringe area where it chews up the battery- but this is not a Chatter issue, rather a network issue of Sprint, I beleive. The phone senses EVDO and tries to use it as opposed to R1x and thus uses more battery- not Chatter's fault). If you haven't used the new betas of Chatter and its energy management, you are in for a PLEASANT surprise!
    Guess I should check that out..... guess it's in beta mode... Just switched over to a 700w (only for a week before I get my 700p back) and I can't access the broadband network and has only been using it as a phone. Went through the whole day and was still at 75-80% battery life... what a shocker... guess Chatter and etc does take a hit on the battery life...but hey.. I need Chatter and those apps, guess I gotta deal with it.

    Hope the new energy management is really good...going to try it out next week.
    Thanks

Posting Permissions