1.    #1  
    I can't hotsync for quite some time and I need to back up, but the only message I get is "The connection between your handheld computer and the desektop could not be established...." .

I've tried a all 3 com ports at different speeds, made sure the user is correct and that this is my primary pc, checked the computer's ID and IP address and am using "Local" not modem. I also can no longer hotsync at work, so I'm guessing the problem is on my palm.

I've given up.

Please post some ideas.

If someone wants to walk me through this, email your number and time to call to Joe at Hamcontact dot com and I'll call you so it doesn't cost you anything.

TIA
    Uninstall and Re-install Palm Desktop. Use default settings and try a Hotsync.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Uninstall and Re-install Palm Desktop. Use default settings and try a Hotsync.
    OK, I just reloaded HotSyc, same problem.

It's got to be the handheld. OF course I've done a number of resets since then.
    Thanks for trying.
    It might be the cable. They've been know to go bad, causing the symptom you report.
    Try cleaning the contacts on the cable and the connector. Also, try a soft reset of the Treo.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Yeah, I'd suspect the "new and improved" Athena connector that Palm forced on us. It seems to get amazingly unreliable over time - I've found that jamming it in tight to the handheld often works to get the hotsync initiating. If you are using one of the Palm cradles - either jam it into the cradle and/or pull it off the cradle and straight into the device.

I'm thinking of epoxying the cable directly into this lousy $60 cradle that Palm now sells separate. Sometimes I wonder exactly how many minutes Palm actually spends thinking things through and testing them before releasing their devices and accessories into the market. We had very few problems with the hardwired cradles before this new mickeymouse design (which we now pay for the privilege of buying separate).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
    It might be the cable. They've been know to go bad, causing the symptom you report.
    Does it for 2 diferent cables. I'm wondering if it is the connector on the 650.
    You could always try a bluetooth connection. That is what I use (even though it is slower) because it works every time. The cable connection really stinks.

In the meantime, you should use NVBackup to backup to your SD card.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle View Post
    Try cleaning the contacts on the cable and the connector. Also, try a soft reset of the Treo.
    Is there a way to check out the connector on the 650?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    You could always try a bluetooth connection. That is what I use (even though it is slower) because it works every time. The cable connection really stinks.

Hey great idea! But I don't have blue tooth on my computer.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post

OK THAT's an idea. It's been so long since I visited this forum I forgot what is NV Backup. Do you have a URL I can visit? I'm mostly interested in my contacts and calendar.Everything else I could re-load, but its been since MArch since I hot synced so my outlooks on my Palm has a lot of stuff I've added since then. OTherwise, I'd just wipe out everything and pray it would reload. I'm REALLY starting to think it must be the connector, and I've tried 2 different cables with no luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by N6YYO View Post
    Hey great idea! But I don't have blue tooth on my computer.
    You can buy a USB bluetooth adapter for cheap nowadays. That's what I did, and it works great. I think I got mine at Wal-Mart for about $23.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Quote Originally Posted by N6YYO View Post
    OK THAT's an idea. It's been so long since I visited this forum I forgot what is NV Backup. Do you have a URL I can visit? I'm mostly interested in my contacts and calendar.Everything else I could re-load, but its been since MArch since I hot synced so my outlooks on my Palm has a lot of stuff I've added since then. OTherwise, I'd just wipe out everything and pray it would reload. I'm REALLY starting to think it must be the connector, and I've tried 2 different cables with no luck.
    Put "NVBackup" into google and follow the links.