Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I have heard from Palm tech support over the phone that to do a "soft reset" remove the battery.

I then saw this on palms forums posted by a Palm"Aide":

"Because some users claimed that they did hard reset but still same problem which in fact they did it incorrectly.

to do this, you need to press & hold the Red Phone button. Keep holding it and do not release it. While doing this, remove the battery on the back. After removing, just put the battery back to its place. Then wait until the screen boots up. Wait until you will see 'Palm Powered' logo. When you see this, you should see 'Erase All data?'. You have to answer Yes by pressing the Up button. Then just follow the onscreen direction to finish the setup process.
    That is the correct hard reset. "

What is the Deal with removing the battery for resets? Does the reset button not serve the correct function?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Removing the battery is their way of saying "are you really really sure you want to do this". By making it very difficult to do a hard reset, and virtually impossible to do a zero out reset, they are preventing the casual curious user from destroying their data by pressing the button.
    Soft resets are good for correcting small issues
    Hard resets are good for starting over
    Zero out resets are good for eBay sellers
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I disagree, I feel there is a functional difference between the button and the removal of the battery.

I noticed during the soft reset,when you remove the battery the time resets, but when you use the button it doesn't. So something doesn't smell right...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Um.. Real Time Clocks need power.. Do you feel the need to reset your time in order to feel you performed a soft reset?

I'll just use my stylus through my drilled hole in the battery compartment for the rare times I need to reset.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I disagree, I feel there is a functional difference between the button and the removal of the battery...
    The point is, they design a very complex set of tasks to ensure that the only way one can perform the various resets is if they read all the steps needed. This prevents the occassional "I pressed a wrong button and..." call to tech support.
    If you read the instructions for a zero out reset, you will see that you need at least two people, three if you include the person reading the instructions, to perform this very complex reset procedure
    A zero out reset can be done by a single person. It's a PITA balancing act, it can be done; but only deliberately.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    I feel there is a difference between pressing the reset button and taking out the battery.

I've also had times where one would would but the other didn't (it would stop during the reboot process). Keep in mind one of these options kills power to everything in the phone/palm (the battery). With modem and sound type problems I'm apt to do the battery before the reset (maybe the reset button would work with these but I rarely have to a second reset when I follow this process).

(I think of it as the difference between restarting/rebooting your computer and powering it off for a few seconds before restarting. Restarting tells everything to go through a fresh start, but it just doesn't remove the power from everything, it works on most things but powering off helps with some problems that the restart doest...)
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    A zero out reset can be done by a single person. It's a PITA balancing act, it can be done; but only deliberately.
    If you can read the instructions, while performing the contortions needed...you're a better man than I!
    My wife read the instructions and my daughter helped me...and we still couldn't do it!
    A zero out reset on the 700p is *DIFFERENT* from the old method used on the 650... rather than the physical contortions of button, stulys and hotsync cables, you have to go through the mental contortions of obtaining the MSL code from your carrier.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The thing is they have actually four degrees of resetting the 700p:

• Soft-reset: click the button on the back of the device. This is very light and may solve 90% of SW related programs.
    • Warm reset: remove battery. This helps solve 9% of remaining problems (i.e. Bluetooth not pairing with anything )
    • Hard reset: Either soft or warm reset while holding a combination of buttons (as described in previous posts). It helps solve the remaining 1% when everything goes SNAFU.
    • The UBER hard reset: I do not remember the exact steps for this, but it does completely blank the phone back to out-of-factory settings. It includes one extra step when compared to the Hard reset and, although I don't remember the exact steps involved I remember you needed to almost ask someone to give you a hand to perform the reset.

The difference between the Hard and UBER-hard is the carrier setup. When you come back from a hard reset, your phone still remembers the locking code (MLS) from the carrier. With the UBER-hard, you will need to take the phone back to the service provider to do the programming.
    Which category does the MSL reset fall into? I would guess it's the Hard reset.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    The thing is they have actually four degrees of resetting the 700p:

• Soft-reset: click the button on the back of the device. This is very light and may solve 90% of SW related programs.
    • Warm reset: remove battery. This helps solve 9% of remaining problems (i.e. Bluetooth not pairing with anything )
    • Hard reset: Either soft or warm reset while holding a combination of buttons (as described in previous posts). It helps solve the remaining 1% when everything goes SNAFU.
    • The UBER hard reset: I do not remember the exact steps for this, but it does completely blank the phone back to out-of-factory settings. It includes one extra step when compared to the Hard reset and, although I don't remember the exact steps involved I remember you needed to almost ask someone to give you a hand to perform the reset.

The difference between the Hard and UBER-hard is the carrier setup. When you come back from a hard reset, your phone still remembers the locking code (MLS) from the carrier. With the UBER-hard, you will need to take the phone back to the service provider to do the programming.
    Nice misinformation...

Soft reset = Pushing button or removing the battery.
    Warm reset = Holding up while restarting, doesn't allow anything to load.
    Hard reset = Holding power while restarting, wipes out everything.
    Zero-out reset = Holding some 50 different things at restart, writes 0's to the ram to "securely" wipe out ram.

http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=887
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Nice misinformation...

Soft reset = Pushing button or removing the battery.
    Warm reset = Holding up while restarting, doesn't allow anything to load.
    Hard reset = Holding power while restarting, wipes out everything.
    Zero-out reset = Holding some 50 different things at restart, writes 0's to the ram to "securely" wipe out ram.

http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=887
    Ha, I was close though, we agree on the 4 resets, and the two hard ones being that the Zero-out definitely wipes out everything... but I have to disagree on the soft reset part. Pushing the button has a different efect than removing the battery.

As an example: I lost pairing between my BT headset and the Treo. I tried to pair them back again, but the Treo would not detect the headset at all. Pushed the reset button 2-3 times, each time trying to go through all the BT pairing steps and nothing, the 700p would not see squat.

I removed the battery and put it back on, went through the pairing steps and voila! the Treo detected the headset without a hitch.

Now, maybe there are not 4 resets, but 4.5 perhaps ?
    I think removing the battery vs. pressing the reset button are equivalent to cold-booting and warm-booting a computer.

Whether or not that counts as two separate resets I'll let you two decide
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I assume a factory reset is the same as zero out. On palms website there is no zero out reset procedure for 700p but rather a factory reset. When performing this, the phone does not appear to be dead but the Access logo stays for a while. The phone then resets again but the phone still remembers the phone # etc. I cant still make calls, check voice messages etc. Has anyone successfully performed a factory reset? Below is what is on palms website.

---
    Perform a factory reset before your device changes hands
    If you are parting with your Palm device, we strongly recommend you perform a factory reset (below) before it changes hands to help reduce the chance of your private information getting into someone else's hands. A factory reset reformats your device and is designed to remove your information so that it cannot be retrieved. This method provides an extra level of privacy for you.

If you simply want to clean out the device so that someone else in your family can use it, or to troubleshoot an issue, a hard reset should meet your needs.

Important
    These procedures will reformat the memory on your device. All data, settings and other preferences youíve selected will be removed. Don't perform a factory reset unless you're willing to lose everything.
    Which device do you have?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Factory Reset for Treo 700p and 680 smartphones

If you've set a password on your smartphone, any hard reset will automatically become a Factory Reset. With this method, you'll enter a password and then perform a hard reset.

On your smartphone, launch the Security application.
    If the Password box says "Unassigned," tap the box and create a password for your smartphone.
    Once the password has been set, disconnect your smartphone from the AC charger and take off the battery cover. Do not remove the battery yet.
    Hold down Power/End .
    While holding down Power/End , remove the battery. Then insert it again.
    While still holding Power/End , the screen will show the Palm logo and a progress bar. Then the circular Palm Powered logo will appear. Release the power button when you see the Palm Powered logo.

Keep holding the Power button during this screen. When you see this screen, you can release the Power button.

A message will appear warning that you are about to erase all the data stored on your smartphone. Press UP.
    If you performed this reset correctly, the screen will go blank after several minutes, and you will not be able to turn on your device. The charging LED will not light up. (any other activity - such as the Palm OS logo and then the Applications launcher appearing - means the reset was performed incorrectly; try again)
    Your device will appear "dead." To wake up your smartphone, perform a soft reset.
    So has anyone had any success doing a zero-out reset on the 700p the same as you'd do it on the 650? I tried to do it a couple times but kept getting the bootloader screen.
    The Zero-Out reset is not part of the 700p. They also kinda got away with it in later versions of the 650's firmware.

If you use ##RTN# on either the 700p or 650, click the RTN tab (or press the menu key) then select Reset from the menu, this will perform the equivalent of a ZOR on either the 650 or 700p.

You DO have to have the MSL code to perform this function, and you will have to know both your phone number (MDN) and MIN as they will need to be re-entered once the phone reformats the NVRAM and powers back on.

To make sure you've wiped the NVRAM, it will tell you "Reformatting" in several languages (black text, white background) for about 5 seconds after it resets.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    The Zero-Out reset is not part of the 700p. They also kinda got away with it in later versions of the 650's firmware.

If you use ##RTN# on either the 700p or 650, click the RTN tab (or press the menu key) then select Reset from the menu, this will perform the equivalent of a ZOR on either the 650 or 700p.

You DO have to have the MSL code to perform this function, and you will have to know both your phone number (MDN) and MIN as they will need to be re-entered once the phone reformats the NVRAM and powers back on.

To make sure you've wiped the NVRAM, it will tell you "Reformatting" in several languages (black text, white background) for about 5 seconds after it resets.
    Wrong, the zero out reset is NOT the same thing as a modem nvram reset. The modem in our devices is completely seperate from the palm's memory chips. The traditional zero out reset does just what it says, overwrites all bytes in rom with 0's. Thus eliminating ANY residual trace of data that had been on it, and then reloading the rom from it's stored .zip file.

The modem reset is going to reset the nvram of the modem (msm6500 chipset I believe) back to it's factory settings (burned into it's eeprom). A proper zero out reset will NOT need you to re-program your phone.
    So how can a zero out reset be performed?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    So how can a zero out reset be performed?
    Everything you would ever want to know about resetting... http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...1,Case=obj(887)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast