View Poll Results: USB Modem vs. PDANet vs. Other? Which do you prefer to use?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • USB Modem

13 40.63%
  • PDANet

15 46.88%
  • Other

4 12.50%
  1.    #1  
    USB Modem vs. PdnNet vs. Other??

I would logically think software shouldn't affect the EVDO speed, but does anyone know if it somehow does?
    I am looking into USB Modem and PDAnet and I am going to watch this post to see what others think.
    I use the tether mode hack for bluetooth and USB modem with a USB connection.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I love pdanet. Connects everytime I hook it up, works well and no freezes. I haven't tried usb modem, but i did use the hack mentioned above on my 650 for a long time.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    I used PDANet for a long time since the Treo 600. Last year for some reason, it kept disconnecting my 650. Since I was on a trip and needed internet connection reliability, I took a look at USB Modem. So far USBModem has been working for me, so I paid for the license.
    I love the proxy option on pdanet.
    The big advantage of the Tether hack is it allows you to use your Treo for other things while connected as a modem as well. You can run TomTom through a bluetooth receiver on your Treo while getting internet for your laptop via bluetooth. Just make sure you've got a car phone charger while doing that, as it'll suck your battery dry pretty quickly!
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    The big advantage of the Tether hack is it allows you to use your Treo for other things while connected as a modem as well. You can run TomTom through a bluetooth receiver on your Treo while getting internet for your laptop via bluetooth. Just make sure you've got a car phone charger while doing that, as it'll suck your battery dry pretty quickly!
    USB modem has a background mode.
    I just installed USBmodem on my 755P and got everything working up to having my 755P show up in the PowerBook's Network prefs, but I can't figure out the settings needed to get online with Sprint i.e. Name, Phone Number, Account Name, Password plus under Advanced->Modem, what do you use for Vendor? Other? What about PPP settings?

I'm sooo close, but so far away without the correct settings. I suppose Sprint would give me settings info that would allow me to bypass their own "pay extra for modem use" plan. would they?

Can you help me?

Thanks,

GeneL