1.    #1  
    Any idea what may have caused this?

I'm in Agendus, and do a tap and hold on a calendar entry to check-off that it's complete, and my device resets. Nothing weird about that, happens all the time with this POS.

But then I can't break out of an endless reset-loop.

So I hard rest. I figure, no problem, I made a resco-backup that morning, and will just restore from it.

Problem. After hard reset, my 700p is STILL going into an endless reset. Finally, exasperated, I pop out the Transcend SD. No more reset loop. Weird, I think. I pop in another SD, my Sandisk. No reset loop. I pop the Transcend SD back in. Reset loop.

So I put the Transcend in my card reader, and attempt to access it from my laptop. I get an error that the card is unformatted, and would I like to format it. Which I wound up having to ultimately do. Amazingly, I had made an entire image of the card (I normally only back up the Palm directory every week or so) just three days prior. So I lost virtually nothing after having to reformat my SD. It now works fine.

But what the hell corrupted it? I'd rather avoid this in the future, where the data loss might be far more severe. I am generally confident knowing I've got a resco-backup on the SD, so no worries. Not anymore, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie View Post
    Any idea what may have caused this?

I'm in Agendus, and do a tap and hold on a calendar entry to check-off that it's complete, and my device resets. Nothing weird about that, happens all the time with this POS.

But then I can't break out of an endless reset-loop.

So I hard rest. I figure, no problem, I made a resco-backup that morning, and will just restore from it.

Problem. After hard reset, my 700p is STILL going into an endless reset. Finally, exasperated, I pop out the Transcend SD. No more reset loop. Weird, I think. I pop in another SD, my Sandisk. No reset loop. I pop the Transcend SD back in. Reset loop.

So I put the Transcend in my card reader, and attempt to access it from my laptop. I get an error that the card is unformatted, and would I like to format it. Which I wound up having to ultimately do. Amazingly, I had made an entire image of the card (I normally only back up the Palm directory every week or so) just three days prior. So I lost virtually nothing after having to reformat my SD. It now works fine.

But what the hell corrupted it? I'd rather avoid this in the future, where the data loss might be far more severe. I am generally confident knowing I've got a resco-backup on the SD, so no worries. Not anymore, unfortunately.

Sounds like a bad SD card plain and simple.
    I had a similar prob this week with my 2GB. I also notice it wouldn't be seen after a soft reset which subsequent resets would fix. the other day it went out causing me to format. Luckily I had a backup image.

Bottom line is I have ordered a new card. I've used this Sandisk Ultra for over a year.
  4.    #4  
    It's still under warranty, so I think I'll have it replaced. I've had it about 6mths or so, now, without any problems.
    I too had the same problem yesterday with my Transcent 4GB card. Reset loop, nothing would prevent it but popping the card out. The card says it's unreadable, would I like to reformat. I'd made a card backup 3 weeks ago...
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    I've experienced similar issues with my RiData 4GB as well as several other SD cards.

I have discovered the following as causes:

1) card isn't pushed in all the way into the reader (pull out and push in again and it works fine - for ultimate safety bring down your computer first so as not to corrupt it).

2) Using it in card readers that don't have the specific ability to read that size of card. Maybe sometimes they work, but it's a risk.

3) corruption from accidental or intentional removal from reader or Treo while writing.

4) Rogue program writing badly to card.

I've found the implementation of FAT32 less than ideal on the Treo, but I'm glad it's there at all. Formatting the card with the non-standard cluster size mentioned in other threads makes it quick enough, but may also be yet another cause of the wierd "card is not formatted" message.

*WHATEVER* you do - don't take that first "card isn't formatted" message as gospel - quite often your data is just fine but it's just not being seen properly.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  7.    #7  
    Mine was definitely corrupted, and like I had mentioned, it worked find til the Agendus reset. Now, I'm scared to do a tap/long hold, even if that's not what caused the corruption. I manually open each Agendus entry, then edit.

Anyway, unable to find some utility that could access the card (notwithstanding corrupt file allocation tables, or partition, or whathaveyou--I'm no techie), which I tried to research for a while, I gave up and reformatted. I knew, however, I had the recent image, or I imagine I would have searched a bit harder and longer. I've now incorporated nightly backups of my "palm" directory to an external hard drive. Takes about eight minutes.

Bill, have you done a recent hotsync, at least? That backs up most everything on the device (though not the external card). For me, my PIMs are my highest priority. Most everything exists somewhere else in a recent enough version. Would still be a huge pain in the a** three-weeks out, mind you, but not catastrophic.