1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about switching to Sprint 700P just for the faster data...I can't imagine the phone service is MUCH worse than Cingular in West L.A. and downtown...but I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts.

Did anyone make such a move and regret it? Love it?

I'm still on a $20 data plan with Cingular so maybe it makes no sense...but the guy in the Sprint store showed me how fast the data worked on the 700 and I started to drool.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT View Post
    I'm thinking about switching to Sprint 700P just for the faster data...I can't imagine the phone service is MUCH worse than Cingular in West L.A. and downtown...but I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts.

Did anyone make such a move and regret it? Love it?

I'm still on a $20 data plan with Cingular so maybe it makes no sense...but the guy in the Sprint store showed me how fast the data worked on the 700 and I started to drool.
    I have been banging around a similar thought.
    I am getting concerned about a few reports of UMTS dropping inside buildings.
    Just call me Berd.
    I was a Cingular customer for close to 10 years until March of this year when I moved over to Sprint. I had a 600 then a 650 on the Cingular unlimited $20 media net plan. I now have a 700p on Sprint and I feel I made a good move for my area. I actually get a better signal, clearer calls and I don't get that annoying feedback when I put my Sprint Treo near speakers. I am in the Dallas area, so I can't comment on the signal in your area.

I also got the SERO 1250, got 500 free text messages a month, 10% loyalty discount, 12% corp discount and even have my Treo insured ($6 month). Cingular would not insure Treos, which made me very nervous.

I miss being able to switch phones quickly with a SIM, but everything else is a plus for me.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  4.    #4  
    Whats the data speed like? And is the 700P more stable?

My 650 is finally getting to the point of stability....
    I get anywhere from 200k to 600k on the 700p and blazer seems to render webpages faster. My 700p is more stable, but it does suffer from white screen lags regularly. Palm will hopefully address this in their next ROM update. The nicest thing is the added user storage, so I don't have to run anything from the SD card anymore.
    I also just made the switch from Cingular to Sprint. I haven't had any problems with Sprint so far (one week). I am also on the SERO plan mention in th previous posts without all of the additional discounts.
  7.    #7  
    The only other thing I'd consider is trying out a 700w....fearing that the Palm operating software may soon be phased out....
    I would go for the 700wx if I were you for the very reason you stated. I prefer the PalmOS interface and the interface, but WM5 is moving forward.
  9.    #9  
    Yeah, they are priced the same. I'm re-assessing WHY I'm stuck with palm...

The apps I've paid for could be purchased on WM5 too I suppose....

I just hate being stuck in the mud always waiting for an upgrade.
    cingular 650 to 700p vzw...VZW service is great...expensive but great...
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Cingular 650 to VZW 700p! Wow, What a world of difference! VZW is 100xbetter then cingular ever was. I can't believe I was with cingular for so long. The data is great, phone is wonderful. This is in the northeast though...don't know much else for other locations yet.

I am very happy I switched.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I forgot to mention one thing that might be important for you. If you are outside of EVDO data coverage, you will default to a slower 1xRTT data connection. If a call comes through during an active data transfer on 1xRTT it will go to voicemail. Regardless of the data connection on Cingular (EDGE, UMTS, etc) the call will come through.

I believe Verizon changed something on their end to allow calls to come through on 1xRTT even when an active data connection is transmitting.

I would also suggest reading the 700p vs 700wx threads to see which phone is right for you if you move to Sprint or Verizon.

You might even consider sticking w/Cingular and getting a 750 if UMTS coverage is good in your area.
    T-Mobile 650 to VZW 700P and all I can say is it is the best move I have ever made. The 700p runs awesome on VZW and with high speed data, I don't know how I lived without it.
    Made the move from Cingular to Sprint in the San Francisco Bay Area two months ago, and I'm VERY hapy. Voice coverage and call quality are far better on Sprint, and so far I've had EVDO data coverage everywhere I've been. If you are on an individual plan, then you will save money going to Sprint (so the $20 data plan isn't something you need to worry about) -- check out sprint.com/sero (and for more in-depth info on those plans, read at howardforums.com), but you can have 500 mins plus unlimited data for $30.

Marc
    Go to sprint.

In LA coverage is great. Cingular call quality is no where near. I carried both for two years (stopped cingular and changed work phone to verizon last July). Cingular was really problematic (voice). My friends with cingular still have lots of problems. Sprint has been close to 100% for me.

In So Cal. and other places I have been I have found verizon and sprint to be very close in coverage and quality. Sprint better in some and Verizon better in some (I carry both phones every day). My Sprint 700p is awsome. Great call quality and the data is very usable. Much better than my 650 was for data, and mail. Verizon data costs 45 bucks per month if I remember correctly (I don't have it on my verizon phone). Sprint is 20 if you want to send and receive photos/video. The camera on the 700p is very good for a camera phone. You will find the photos very usable unlike previous gen camera phones.

So. Cal is very well covered by EVDO. I highly recommend sprint, and there is nothing wrong with Verizon either, they just charge too much for data and I have found no quality difference between sprint and verizon.

Also if you have been with sprint for a while they tend to offer you discounts when you resign up for a contract. After a number of years these can add up. At least they have for me, so a sprint plan that has been renewed a few times can become quite a bargain. You also get $25 if you refer someone (they get 25$ too).