Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone has access to the 680 gives me an answer:

1) Is the 680 still has the volume too low problem? It will be a joke to need to install VolumeCare.

2) Do I need to manually turn-off Bluetooth DUN to access the web, and turn it back on to use laptop via bluetooth DUN to access internet?
    1) Speaker volume has been improved a lot on this device.

2) There is no DUN setting on the phone. I've used it for DUN connections and for web browsing without having to change any settings.
    I thought the volume issue was fixed in the last software update? I never uninstalled VC so i dont know, its a great utility to have either way.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Here are some programs I've installed to "fix" aspects of my 650 I don't like. Can you say whether the 680 has any additional capabilities along these lines?

• LEDOff to stop the blinking LED when "In Service"
    • KB Lights to turn the keyboard lights on/off independently of the screen
    • Keycaps600 to have quick ways to enter caps/symbols
    • RingerSwitch Pro to give a visual reminder that the hardware mute is active
    • TimeCopy to have the Palm's date/time sync up with my PC during a Hotsync
    • VolumeCare pro to fix the volume issue (already answered)
    • ROMHide to get rid of icons you only ever need to see once in your life, like QuickTour
    • Shortcuts files to bring back the ability to manage shortcuts
    • AutoOff Extender to get a more logical way to manage the auto-off time
    • CallRec to record both voice and phone calls
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Here are some programs I've installed to "fix" aspects of my 650 I don't like. Can you say whether the 680 has any additional capabilities along these lines?

• LEDOff to stop the blinking LED when "In Service"
    • KB Lights to turn the keyboard lights on/off independently of the screen
    • Keycaps600 to have quick ways to enter caps/symbols
    • RingerSwitch Pro to give a visual reminder that the hardware mute is active
    • TimeCopy to have the Palm's date/time sync up with my PC during a Hotsync
    • VolumeCare pro to fix the volume issue (already answered)
    • ROMHide to get rid of icons you only ever need to see once in your life, like QuickTour
    • Shortcuts files to bring back the ability to manage shortcuts
    • AutoOff Extender to get a more logical way to manage the auto-off time
    • CallRec to record both voice and phone calls
    LEDOff isn't needed anymore. I don't see the LED flicker when I'm in service.
    TimeCopy isn't provided, but you can sync time/date with the wireless network.
    The ringer switch operates like the Treo 700p with the phone vibrating for a moment when you switch it to mute. Also, the plastic in the switch exposes a red area when it's muted so you can just look at the top of the phone.

The features of the other apps you use are not included in the Phone application or system, although it's likely that those apps can be adapted for the Treo 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    The ringer switch operates like the Treo 700p with the phone vibrating for a moment when you switch it to mute. Also, the plastic in the switch exposes a red area when it's muted so you can just look at the top of the phone.

The features of the other apps you use are not included in the Phone application or system, although it's likely that those apps can be adapted for the Treo 680.
    bcombee:

I have been following your posts over the past week. They've been extremely informative, and have done much to separate fact from rumor.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to our questions here on TC.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Great info...how did you get your hands on a 680? Are you happy with it thus far?
    For those of you who don't know him, Ben Combee is a former Palm and PalmSource employee (not sure who he works for now). I have always appreciated his involvement here and on other boards and I personally take his information as gospel.
    I currently work for Palm doing new product development (and that's all I'm saying about that). I've had a Treo 680 for a couple of months for testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmorris View Post
    Great info...how did you get your hands on a 680? Are you happy with it thus far?
    Oh... as for being happy with the phone: I do really like it. It's been through a lot of testing and really feels solid.

A few more thoughts:

I really like the new phone application on the Treo 680. It's a big improvement in ease-of-use over what we shipped on the Treo 700p, but without removing any features. I can still setup shortcuts on letters so I just hit "Phone" then "H" to call home or "Phone" then "B" to go to my blogs page in Blazer. Palm has also improved five-way navigation in lots of places, making a hold-up or hold-down operation scroll a page at a time (with a small pause so you can take in the new screen). That makes the "long list" version of Favorites work pretty well.

The phone also has a new app called "My Treo" that does a pretty good job of giving you a whole users manual and knowledge base right on the device. It also supports over-the-air update so you can get new information about the device as we add it to the Palm site.

It's a little unfortunate that we had to move the camera sensor lower on the back of the phone in order to fit everything in the case, as it means my finger is usually in the way when I start to take a picture. The camera is just like the 650's -- good low-light sensitivity compared to the 700p/700w, but lower resolution.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Oh... as for being happy with the phone: I do really like it. It's been through a lot of testing and really feels solid.

A few more thoughts:

I really like the new phone application on the Treo 680. It's a big improvement in ease-of-use over what we shipped on the Treo 700p, but without removing any features. I can still setup shortcuts on letters so I just hit "Phone" then "H" to call home or "Phone" then "B" to go to my blogs page in Blazer. Palm has also improved five-way navigation in lots of places, making a hold-up or hold-down operation scroll a page at a time (with a small pause so you can take in the new screen). That makes the "long list" version of Favorites work pretty well.

The phone also has a new app called "My Treo" that does a pretty good job of giving you a whole users manual and knowledge base right on the device. It also supports over-the-air update so you can get new information about the device as we add it to the Palm site.

It's a little unfortunate that we had to move the camera sensor lower on the back of the phone in order to fit everything in the case, as it means my finger is usually in the way when I start to take a picture. The camera is just like the 650's -- good low-light sensitivity compared to the 700p/700w, but lower resolution.
    Fantastic info, thanks! Since email is important to me (and many here), would you say that Versamail is significantly improved over the 650? I know many prefer 3rd party programs. It's a shame there's no true PUSH.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmorris View Post
    It's a shame there's no true PUSH.
    Appreciating your reservations on adopting a 3d party e-mail solution, if your e-mail service supports IMAP then I highly recommend ChatterEmail for true push.

I also wanted to say thanks Ben. The information you have provided has laid to rest (mostly) my questions about the stability of the 680 in comparison to the 650. I do have one question though, there have been many complaints 0f slowdown with the 700p, does the 680 have similar issues when loaded up with apps or after extend use?
    Last edited by RoninKSB; 10/20/2006 at 01:30 PM.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    I also wanted to say thanks Ben. The information you have provided has laid to rest (mostly) my questions about the stability of the 680 in comparison to the 650. I do have one question though, there have been many complaints of slowdown with the 700p, does the 680 have similar issues when loaded up with apps or after extend use?
    I haven't made extensive use of my 680 in situations where people have seen slowdown on the 700p, but I also haven't noticed any problems so far. Performance feels very similar to the Treo 650. I had seen slowdown occasionally with my 700p (mainly in switching away from Astraware Sudoku after hours of play , but I hadn't personally seen things as severe as many of the posters here.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Appreciating your reservations on adopting a 3d party e-mail solution, if your e-mail service supports IMAP then I highly recommend ChatterEmail for true push.

I also wanted to say thanks Ben. The information you have provided has laid to rest (mostly) my questions about the stability of the 680 in comparison to the 650. I do have one question though, there have been many complaints 0f slowdown with the 700p, does the 680 have similar issues when loaded up with apps or after extend use?
    I actually use Gmail which does NOT support IMAP. I'm on a BB now which is pretty seamless with my email. I'm hoping there's a way to set up my Gmail account to get PUSH (guess I will need a 3rd party program). Any others of you who use Gmail?
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I use GMail as well and to my knowledge there is only one way to get push with it, forward your GMail to an account that supports IMAP. GMail supports POP3 only and thus does not support push natively so even with a 3d party program (which you will need also), you can not get push from GMail directly.

My provider allows unlimited e-mail addresses and supports IMAP, so I have set up an address exclusively for my forwarded GMail, it is this address that my Treo is getting the e-mail from via Chatter. In my experience, the forwarding by GMail is pretty instantaneous so I get my e-mail this way almost as quickly as it shows up in GMail.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I use GMail as well and to my knowledge there is only one way to get push with it, forward your GMail to an account that supports IMAP. GMail supports POP3 only and thus does not support push natively so even with a 3d party program (which you will need also), you can not get push from GMail directly.

My provider allows unlimited e-mail addresses and supports IMAP, so I have set up an address exclusively for my forwarded GMail, it is this address that my Treo is getting the e-mail from via Chatter. In my experience, the forwarding by GMail is pretty instantaneous so I get my e-mail this way almost as quickly as it shows up in GMail.
    Thanks for the info! One question, and it may sound ridiculous - but are you concerned that your forwarded Gmail mail can be read by this 'middle-man' (IMAP provider)? Or is it a non-issue? Just something I thought about.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Heck man, I don't know. The way I figure it the government is probably reading all my mail anyway. Privacy is so 20th Century.

Seriously, I have 5 or 6 e-mail accounts with my provider and if they can read that one they can read them all. However, that would pretty much be a violation of my service agreement which I hope they abide by.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Could you extract the Phone application and share?

I heard they improved it even over the 700p

Last edited by Wilsonb; 10/20/2006 at 05:50 PM.
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    Considering that I work for Palm and would really like people to buy the new device... NO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post

I heard they improved it even over the 700p

Use RomTool to extract the Rom.

he he....hee hee...ha, ha.....HA HA....BWAA, HA, HA, HA!!

This person who has so graciously given us all this infomration and feedback has just said that he works for Palm. Do you really think that this is going to happen....or SHOULD happen? Unbelieveable!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast