Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    In that case, tell those idiots at Palm to get their **** together, then people wouldn't need to hack their device to fix Palm problems..

Why doesn't Palm focus on fixing issues with one device before releasing new ones?

Sad, just got the 700p and Im having other issues I didn't have with the 650.

Last edited by Wilsonb; 10/20/2006 at 05:52 PM.
    Wow. This makes me wish I could have a 680. If only it had full OTA sync to Exchange Server. I'd trade in my 650 and pass up the Dash and deep six the SDA and ignore the 750 if I could get that functionality but stay with the Palm UI.
    On the 650, it takes a relatively long time for a bluetooth headset to pick up a call (so long that the person on the other end sometimes has said "hello?" a few times before I can hear them).

Have you tried a Bluetooth headset with the 680? Any issues that you noticed?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Bcombee,
    I've seen conflicting reports on whether the 680 has the Kinoma player / Blazer combination that supports streaming video. Will you comment?
    Quote Originally Posted by broxman View Post
    Bcombee,
    I've seen conflicting reports on whether the 680 has the Kinoma player / Blazer combination that supports streaming video. Will you comment?
    The embedded Kinoma Player is included in the 680 ROM, and codecs are included for AAC, MP3, MPEG-1, MPEG-4, H.263, AMR, and ADPCM, at least on the version I'm testing. I just went to http://channel9.msdn.com and started viewing one of the videos on the main page on the 680 and it looked pretty nice, although the streaming stuttered a little at the start of the video.
    Some more 680 questions that have come to mind. Hopefully Ben is still around...

1. Can I set the built-in camera app to save to the SD card by default?
    2. Have performance issues been addressed in the pictures app? The "Please Wait" dialog box gets old pretty fast on my 650. Meanwhile competing apps (SplashPhoto) have nowhere near the same delays.
    3. Does the 680 work in the 650's cradle? What about the spare battery slot? Can I charge a spare 680 battery in there?
    4. Does the ROM contain Java support or must I continue to sacrifice a meg of RAM to run Java apps?
    5. Is the physical screen size identical to the 650? Will my 650 screen protectors fit?
    6. Are the form factors of the 680 and 750 identical? If I were to find a battery cover from a "broken" 750 (one with that nice rubbery coating), would it fit the 680?
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Some more 680 questions that have come to mind. Hopefully Ben is still around...

2. Have performance issues been addressed in the pictures app? The "Please Wait" dialog box gets old pretty fast on my 650. Meanwhile competing apps (SplashPhoto) have nowhere near the same delays.
    3. Does the 680 work in the 650's cradle? What about the spare battery slot? Can I charge a spare 680 battery in there?
    4. Does the ROM contain Java support or must I continue to sacrifice a meg of RAM to run Java apps?
    5. Is the physical screen size identical to the 650? Will my 650 screen protectors fit?
    6. Are the form factors of the 680 and 750 identical? If I were to find a battery cover from a "broken" 750 (one with that nice rubbery coating), would it fit the 680?
    I am not Ben but I am going to try my hand at responding to some of your queries.

The camera app on the 650 can be set to save the SD card by default, that is, it remembers the last category set. The problem is, there is a bug in the program on the 650 that causes the app to forget this category setting after a reset. This bug has not been fixed in any of the updates. So, to my thinking, the question is - has this bug been fixed in the 680 camera app?

The media/photos app has been updated as of the 700p and other posters have indicated that the app is much, much faster.

I recall reading a post/article by someone with a 680 that it will fit in the 650's cradle just not as snuggly. As to the spare battery slot, everything I have read indicates that the battery in the 680/750 is the same size as the 650's with the exception of depth thus a spare should fit into the cradle as well (nothing I have read has specifically commented on this though). The battery connectors are in the same location as well, in fact, one writer commented that he was able to use a 650 battery in a 680 or 750 (can't remember which) without the battery cover in place.

Screen size is the same.

From what I have read, the form factors of the 680 and the 750 are the same. However, I have not read of anyone that has attempted your imaginative hybrid.

Hope this helps some.
    Regards, RoninKSB

These are some excellent questions, and I too, would love to hear them answered by, (no offense) someone who has the unit in their hands (especially a palm insider), not the spec sheet or the "I have read" situation (again, please...no offense intended whatsoever). I think we are all in the same boat here and have done a tremendous amount of research, but until we actually get first hand account of the units, it is just not accurate. I, too would like to know BEFORE I jump if all of my 650 attachemnts and chargers are going to work. I assume that they are, but until I hear from someone who has plugged a 680 into a 650 cradle, I do not know.

I hope that Ben can actually Chime in and answer, before we get more well intended speculation. We have enough speculation about release dates (myself included in that game).
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Sorry, you did not find my post helpful but you and I definitely have a different understanding of the meaning of the word "speculation".
    Regards, RoninKSB
    the real question is.......

have they fixed the RESETS !!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I get regular resets when I use Blazer, otherwise not so much.

I've loaded a custom ROM in my 650 so I can't go point my finger at Palm. On the other hand, this new ROM is generally much more stable than the original.

Sorry... hadn't checked the threads here lately.

1) I'm only able to get my 680 to default to a album called "Palm" on the SD card (or in memory if no card is inserted). I didn't see a way to change that default.

2) Performance in the Pics & Videos app is much better than on the Treo 650.

3) The back of the device is very similar to the 650 and 700, but I don't have a cradle to verify compatibility. I would expect it to work, but I'd wait for someone else to confirm this.

4) No, Java isn't standard in the ROM. You'll still have to download it and install it yourself.

5) The screen size appears to be the same between my 700p and 680. I would expect the same protector to work on both devices.

6) The 750v has very similar proportions, but it's not an identical housing. The IR port is in a different location and the card slot is different. I'm also pretty sure the battery cover is different between the devices.
    Thanks for anwering the questions. I appreciate having someone who actually has a 680 coming on here to give us the scoop!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12