Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    That looks great! What case are you using?
    One I picked up off of eBay and have never been able to find again. Has a screw-in for belt clip and had a plastic hinge cover for screen which I've never used.

I really like the rubber cases as the phone does take a drop now and again and I think it helps absorb some of the shock, but I've been thinking about grabbing a crystal case. Just don't know if it will protect the same.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    No. Similar, but mine has full cutouts (doesn't block IR/SD slots like that one). Also paid a third of that...
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Found it...funny, I have ordered other skins from them before (and may order another smooth black one -- I hate having the loop for a wrist band sticking out to the side)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8821323942
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    ok I have had 2 Zero antennas for about a week now.
    Both were put on verizon 700p's.
    the form factor is great.
    easy to install.
    A drop of 10-12 average in RSSI isnt good at all.
    Now we are losing service all the time in metropolitan Phoenix where verizon signal is a powerhouse.
    So Zero is a big zero to me. My wife is tolerating losing signal (for now) because she likes how it fits in her purse. I give it another week before I'm changing that one back too.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    A drop in reception of 20% is to be expected with the zero antennas. The Zoti antennas have stock reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    ok I have had 2 Zero antennas for about a week now.
    Both were put on verizon 700p's.
    the form factor is great.
    easy to install.
    A drop of 10-12 average in RSSI isnt good at all.
    Now we are losing service all the time in metropolitan Phoenix where verizon signal is a powerhouse.
    So Zero is a big zero to me. My wife is tolerating losing signal (for now) because she likes how it fits in her purse. I give it another week before I'm changing that one back too.
    Dear pump142, sent it back to me & I will get it replaced.
    Since most my my ZERO have no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightlight View Post
    A drop in reception of 20% is to be expected with the zero antennas. The Zoti antennas have stock reception.

To say it should be "expected" is just not the case. Pump's experience seems pretty atypical.

For some reason nightlight has jumped on an original post from GadgetPlus that stated a potential for 20% decrease and won't let go of that initial post, despite the fact that many of us actual users have reported minimal if no decreases. For instance, in fringe areas, my results, posted earlier in this thread, showed an average of just 1.6% decline in reception with the Zero vs the stock antennae.

In the 650 forum thread on the Zoti antennae, there are also reports of decreased reception and/or potential increased power drain as well. Plus problems with breakage in mailing, gaps in the fit and the need to reglue the top of the antenna. To his extreme credit, Zoti offers a rock solid warranty/return policy, is fixing the manufacturing issues in future stock and has posted self-fixes for the currently shipping product. Gadget plus for some reason doesn't offer any returns.

I don't know why nightlight keeps popping into this thread just hammer the Zero time and time again. Both products seem to work reasonably well and have satisfied a demand in the market.

[edit: based on above, perhaps Gadget Plus is changing return/warranty policy?]
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Maybe the quality control of the zero antenna is the problem. Some work fine while others are poor performers like the ones that the gadgetplus tested himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightlight View Post
    Maybe the quality control of the zero antenna is the problem. Some work fine while others are poor performers like the ones that the gadgetplus tested himself.
    Could be. As seen by some of Zoti's issues as well, it may take a while to get the manufacturing process down to where defects are significantly reduced and there's solid uniformity. But hey, these mom and pop efforts are better than the solution that Palm's giving us!
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    gadget.. sent u a pm
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post

To say it should be "expected" is just not the case. Pump's experience seems pretty atypical.

For some reason nightlight has jumped on an original post from GadgetPlus that stated a potential for 20% decrease and won't let go of that initial post, despite the fact that many of us actual users have reported minimal if no decreases. For instance, in fringe areas, my results, posted earlier in this thread, showed an average of just 1.6% decline in reception with the Zero vs the stock antennae.

In the 650 forum thread on the Zoti antennae, there are also reports of decreased reception and/or potential increased power drain as well. Plus problems with breakage in mailing, gaps in the fit and the need to reglue the top of the antenna. To his extreme credit, Zoti offers a rock solid warranty/return policy, is fixing the manufacturing issues in future stock and has posted self-fixes for the currently shipping product. Gadget plus for some reason doesn't offer any returns.

I don't know why nightlight keeps popping into this thread just hammer the Zero time and time again. Both products seem to work reasonably well and have satisfied a demand in the market.

[edit: based on above, perhaps Gadget Plus is changing return/warranty policy?]
    Well, it looks like to me Zoti's antenna might be alittle bit better in reception..
    http://www.palminsider.com/index.php...=568&Itemid=58
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d33170 View Post
    Well, it looks like to me Zoti's antenna might be alittle bit better in reception..
    Hmmm.....I thought lower RSSI meant better reception. I watched the video: stock antenna got 20 at first, then went to 24 just before he turns the unit away. The first antenna he tests is from Treoantenna, which bounced from 26-27. This is WORSE, isn't it?? The second antenna he tests is the Zero, which actually starts out at 19 RSSI and goes to 17! That's BETTER that stock, isn't it??

Am I wrong on which antenna is which, or that the lower RSSI the better?
    On GSM, higher is better (the numbers that you're quoting) and on CDMA, lower is better.

In that test, the zero is clearly the worst one and the treoantenna is actually slightly better than stock.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    well a drop to me is less signal
    my specific rssi numbers 30 secs apart in same exact location were
    stock 74
    zero 90
    stock 74
    zero 90
    Yes, you're on Verizon which is CDMA, which means the lower the RSSI #, the better the signal. Sprint is also CDMA.

Other carriers (Cingular, etc, including the carrier in the video linked above) would be GSM where the higher the RSSI reading, the better the signal
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Quote Originally Posted by d33170 View Post
    Or worse, depending on who's testing:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...postcount=1012

Those looking at either antennae should hope for parity at best, and be willing to live with a slight decrease as trade off for look, etc. 20+ percentage points of difference should be unacceptable (like pump saw) and hopefully a replacement will do the trick.
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    stock 74
    zero 90
    Yikes! The zero antenna KILLED your reception.
    That is pretty bad. Are you sure you installed it correctly?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Very happy with mine, and getting the Torx driver included is not a bad deal.
    I generally only have a one bar signal loss at times, sometimes no loss.

I do have a littel beef with the shipping though, sending it registered mail required me to make a trip to the post office to sign for it, and leave work. A waste of time and money, in IMHO.