Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Yes, I'm using a Shadowmite overlay which makes use of the green 1x icon when there is 1x signal and green EV icon on EVDO areas.

I'm a big shoutcast fan too, but I have not had the chance to stream any music today. I will test that tomorrow.

Also, I'm gonna see if I get Zoti's antenna once it comes out and do a side by side comparison review.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Has anyone compared this to the shorter antenna at www.treoantenna.com?

For the zero antenna (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgadgetplussg) which is the right one for the 700P?
    Website says the product doesn't exist yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by drei22 View Post
    Website says the product doesn't exist yet.
    Its in the final stage of the development process. You can track the progress here - http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=117934

PS. Gadgetplus - the "Zero" looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    First I want to thank Gadgetplus for sending me an antenna to review it. Now let's go to the exciting part.

Pre-Installation:
    The antenna looks exactly like the original one, but without the extra bulk. Taking the original antenna out was really ease. Pretty much if you are good at changing batteries that require you to use a screw driver then this should be piece of cake for you. Note that you need the Torx 5 screw driver. At first you might feel that the antenna is not coming out easily after you take the screw out, but you just need to pull it forward and you are done.

Installation:
    Pretty straight forward. Just make sure the shape of the antenna matches the shape of the antenna hole in the Treo and push it down until it clicks. Yes it is not a light push, but do it with confidence. Put the screw in and you are done.

Removing the zero antenna:
    This is a bit tricky. I would strongly recommend that you keep the tape until you are sure that you are not going to take it out again. The problem is that you are going to need to use a push pin or thin needle to remove the antenna from the side opening. It comes out fairly easy, but it doesn't feel like something you want to do again because involves some patience.

Installing the original antenna:

Just push it in until it clicks and you are done. Of course, you need to put the screw in.

Antenna Performance:
    This part is somewhat controversial. If you've been reading older antenna's threads you know what I mean.
    First I have to say that I live in an area that has very good signal. I never have any problems whatsoever with my calls and data. I did my testing using ZLauncher* and looking at the Treo signal bars.

Initial signal with the original antenna:
    -Full bars (6 bars)

No antenna:
    -Down to 2 to 3
    -*89 to *97

With Zero antenna

-5 to 6 bars
    -*74 to *79

Overall, I like the gadgetplus zero antenna and I am going to give it a fair try during this week.

Yes, I have pictures:

Al
    Thank you Treolo for your comprehensive update! So glad everyone is enjoying it!

Below is some other feedback ;

Taken from : http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=495
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970 View Post
    I just got the Gray Treo 650 "ZERO" antenna (made by gadgetplus) today, here's a micro-review:

1) Shipped from Singapore mid-last week, got it today (4 business days later)
    2) Installation took less than 2 minutes (T5 screwdriver was included free)
    3) I tested removing the antenna per gadgetplus instructions) takes few seconds and easy enough, no damage to the case whatsoever)
    4) And MOST IMPORTANT, my initial tests (not scientific by any mean), I CAN'T notice any degradation in reception. I am using the ZLauncher RSSI # indicator to compare and in various sections on my work building the reception is exactly the same (or with very minor differences that can be related to me moving the phone around).

So just to make sure, I certainly don't see the 20% reduction in reception/signal that was initially mentioned by gadgetplus (and then re-quoted many times by others). It behaves very similar (if not closely the same) to the original antenna's signal levels.

So far a very happy customer…

Thanks gadgetplus.

Ix.
    Taken from : http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=498
    Quote Originally Posted by Bum View Post
    Lots of talk about shorter antennas, but the gadgetplus "ZERO" antenna has a major advantage: IT EXISTS, NOW!

I ordered the 650 model and it arrived yesterday in a thoughtful package with not only the Torx driver, but even the small piece of tape intended for easy removal if desired. Installation took merely seconds (yes, it's trivial to save the warranty seal) without any need to even turn off the phone. It looks just fine, no part of the casing sticks out, and to the untrained eye, it looks very much as if it were part of the original design

After a full day of use in a variety of known locations (home, work, car, etc.), I'm thoroughly satisfied. In preparation for the antenna's arrival, I had been tracking the signal strength (CDMA) methodically for the past week or so. After charting the readings for the past 24 hours and running a quick ANOVA, the numbers confirm my "gut feeling": there is NO statistically significant difference between the "full" and "zero" antennas. The reception remains unchanged even in borderline locations, and I only observed the customary fluctuations.

In summary, a VERY pleasant experience, and well worth the $29.90. Thank you, gadgetplus!
    I would like to hear from Treolo after a week or so, and find out how the quality of the signal holds up over normal use, instead of just sitting in one location.

Thanks for the review and look forward to hearing more.
    I'm not quite sure of the rational behind the mod, other than it being a mod for the sake of mod, which is good enough for some. I have never considered the antenna of the 650 or the 700p to be obtrusive...
    So the reception takes a large hit. I think that CDMA starts at -54dB so the reception went from basically -10dB to -20dB. That really sucks. I guess that you get what you pay for. shrug
    Can someone clarify how many shorter antennae solutions are out there? Just two, with the Zero reviewed by the OP the only one that's actually "launched" to-date?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
  9.    #29  
    I believe there are about three versions: Gadgetplus Zero antenna, Zoti's antenna and Ddeath's antenna. However, the only one that is currently selling them in Gadgetplus. The other two are still in beta, but are supposed to come out soon.

Al
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i think everyone will get different readings with these antenna's. depending on where you are.
    You know, I'd be more enticed by just the opposite kind of antenna - one that replaces the existing antenna but cleverly conceils an extendable antenna that would improve reception in challanging environments.
    I already have a T5 torx driver (doesn't *any* Palm owner?), don't need another one. That's $5 unnecessary extra bucks.

If the performance isn't severely degraded (and radiation doesn't get even worse than the stock one - yikes!), I'd be interested in doing this for $15-20 bucks tops. Once it gets into the thirty dollar range, I'd expect it to be well tested, available through a local dealer who can easily handle warranty issues, etc. Sending $30 off to Singapore with a return policy of "All sales are final, no refunds are available" on an undocumented hardware hack to my main means of communication seems a little too risky, health and financially.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    You know, I'd be more enticed by just the opposite kind of antenna - one that replaces the existing antenna but cleverly conceils an extendable antenna that would improve reception in challanging environments.
    Same Here!
    Just call me Berd.
    This modification could be made really useful by the addition of a 3.5" audio jack. Though the radiation absorption would likely increase and head right up the cable.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    It looks like a scam. No Paypal Buyer Protection, no refunds, no mention of the reduced reception, etc.
    I don't believe it's a scam, I just find it amazing tha someone will pay that much when there are so many listed for less, aside from the fact that they can be bought direct from him as well.

Even now, there's an auction up to $35 for one already...
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I think you guys should get higher paying jobs, 30 bucks ain't that much money
    I think you're missing the point.

I'm just surprised that people will get in a bidding war and run the price up to $41 when you can buy one easily at $29.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    "If the performance isn't severely degraded (and radiation doesn't get even worse than the stock one - yikes!), I'd be interested in doing this for $15-20 bucks tops. Once it gets into the thirty dollar range, I'd expect it to be well tested, available through a local dealer who can easily handle warranty issues, etc. Sending $30 off to Singapore with a return policy of "All sales are final, no refunds are available" on an undocumented hardware hack to my main means of communication seems a little too risky, health and financially."

Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    I think you're missing the point.

I'm just surprised that people will get in a bidding war and run the price up to $41 when you can buy one easily at $29.
    am I really?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast