Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    i have done a search and tried everthing i can find but still cant get it working, i get this message;

Opening the network...skipped
    Connecting to XX.XX.XXX.X:5900...
    ConnectToTcpAddr: cannot connect
    Unable to connect to
    "XX.XX.XXX.X":5900
    ERROR: cannot connect to
    XX.XX.XXX.X:5900

i have the palmvnc on my treo 700p, and ultravnc on computer, and i have a linksys wireless router and the computer i am trying to connect with is not wired to the router(its wireless), also i am using xp home.

i have done everything i can find(in forum) several times and still no luck.

please help

thanks, ron

someone needs to write a palmvnc for dummies guide
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    i have tried that thread and every other thread i can find on every forum and it still dont work.

later, ron
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Well, let us start at the beginning. Are you successfully able to connect to your computer from another computer (not your palm) from outside your network?
    Treo 700p on the Sprint Network!
    The error you have usually comes up when the IP address is incorrect, or the firewall isn't allowing you to get to the specific computer.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    i have triple checked my ip, i have tried my ip strait, i have tried no-ip, i have tried dyndns

i turned off my computer firewall, i have turned off my router firewall

i have tried everything i can come up with

still get same error

its probably something simple that i just cant find

is there something special in linksys router settings i should no

thanks, ron
    You need to forward the ports from router to your individual computer's ip address. The port is 5900. Did you do that step?

This guy uses a linksys router and has written out what to do in the router:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...6&postcount=44
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    yes, i went into my router and then clicked applications and gaming, then port range forwarding, start 5900 end 5900 tcp, then ip address, and then clicked enable

still dont work

what about port triggering or anything else in there (dont mess with it?)

thanks, ron
    What PalmOS VPN Client are you using? You haven't mentioned one yet. I assume that you will need one that does PPTP.
    Try start address 5800 and end address 5999 in your router configuration.
    Also check to see if you can connect from another computer over the internet, to rule out configuration settings as the cause.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    palmvnc

i will try my laptop

my laptop says failed to connect to server

i downloaded the ultravnc viewer on to it and put in my ip and also tried my dysdns
    Last edited by ronlv; 10/19/2006 at 11:20 AM.
    try going to www.myipaddress.com and it will show your ip address. Try use that ip address and put into your PalmVNC ip address field. I think if you use router and going into ipconfig screen from your computer it's not your actual ip address from your isp. It's a router generated local IP.

Or you can unplug your router and connect your computer straight to the internet, then check your ipconfig screen.

hope this help
    PalmVNC is not a VPN client, if you were answering my question. If you are saying that you don't need a VPN client on the 700p to connect to your firewall/router then your entire network is exposed to the Internet, which is not a good thing at all. Are you certain that your router does not require a VPN client?
    Last edited by pureinstinct93; 10/19/2006 at 12:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    i tried the myip thing

i dont know if i need the vpn, i know i want to setup a vpn

but i dont know how to do that either

i did get the mergicvpn program but i havent set it up yet

thanks, ron
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    PalmVNC is not a VPN client, if you were answering my question. If you are saying that you don't need a VPN client on the 700p to connect to your firewall/router then your entire network is exposed to the Internet, which is not a good thing at all. Are you certain that your router does not require a VPN client?
    I think the OP was asking about PalmVNC program, am I right or am I just confuse ???? PalmVNC require your real (from ISP) IP address not the local ip address that your router assign to your computer locally. And then you have to go configure your router to allow port forwarding range of 5800-5900.

I user palmVNC on my 700p and window XP pro box, and it work awesome. The error that the OP stated on the top of the thread seem like he input the wrong IP address in the PalmVNC program on the palm. Make sure your IP is not 192.xx.xx.x because that is your local IP address.
    I have an IPSEC VPN firewall/router on my home cable modem. I have an IPSEC VPN client on my 700p. I connect to my home network with the VPN client. I then use PalmVNC to connect to any network PC using the internal 192.x.x.x addresses. Because I use a VPN client, I do not have to port forward at all and I can use internal IP addresses. If I don't use a VPN client, I am outside of the network and would then have to connect to router's IP address and set it to forward to 1 PC. With a VPN, I can connect to many PCs on the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlv View Post
    i tried the myip thing

i dont know if i need the vpn, i know i want to setup a vpn

but i dont know how to do that either

i did get the mergicvpn program but i havent set it up yet

thanks, ron
    What are you trying to accomplish with your treo and computer set up ???
    remotely control your pc? transfer file ?

I use my combo to remotely look at documents on my computer and if I want to have to document I would email it to my self, use the website that normally cant access on my palm (such as some banking, and financial institution site). If this is suffice your need PalmVNC is good for you and it's free (well maybe you can donate some money for their great software).

There is story on treocentral front page a couple month back. Maybe try search the website for "VNCing around" and it should come up. There is extensive review and direction how to set it up, I think it's really great direction step by step.

If you have just one computer at home connect to the internet via router and cable modem you don't really need VPN client just PalmVNC should do just fine. But if you have more than one computer network together and you have a need to control or view more than one of those computer I recomment VPN client to make it easier for you.
    Last edited by yuyjust; 10/19/2006 at 01:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman00 View Post
    Well, let us start at the beginning. Are you successfully able to connect to your computer from another computer (not your palm) from outside your network?
    Ron, I would like to help you, but I am not sure if you answered my question?

Are you able to connect to your PC using VNC (or UltraVNC) from another COMPUTER outside of your network?
    Treo 700p on the Sprint Network!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    i am using my ip 68.xxx.xx.xx not the 192.xxx

i could not get my laptop to connect to pc either

thanks, ron
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    port forwarding, firewalls, and passwords are my most common culprits for palmvnc. I can however confirm it works fine on my 700p.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast