1.    #1  
    Ok, so I had a problem with my 'r' button sticking and making it a major pain to use my 650.

I read through these threads:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...acing+keyboard

and

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=105641

After reading those I figured it wouldn't be too tough for me to do the repairs myself and opened up the phone to see if I could just 'pop' the button back out and get the phone working again. After opening it up I noticed that the back of the plastic 'r' button was damaged and it looked like I would need a new keypad. So I ordered this off of performancepda.com:

http://performancepda.zoovy.com/prod...50FLEXKEYBOARD

After intstalling that with no problems the 'r' key continued to stick and after further inspection I noticed the keyboard sensor had been damaged and I would need to replace that. So I ordered:

http://performancepda.zoovy.com/c=pY...REO650KEYBOARD

Ok, so here comes my problem. When I installed the new keyboard and flipped the phone back on the keyboard failed to work at all and gives no response. I was worried I may have damaged the phone somehow during the installation so I reinstalled my old keyboard and it worked fine (the usual 'r' button sticking but otherwise normal). I then reinstalled the new keyboard again making sure I was connecting everything correctly in case I did it wrong the first time but it still doesn't work.

For anybody who's done this replacement is there something special I need to do to get the new keyboard working? Is the phone set to not recognize a new keyboard? Or is it just likely that I received a defective keyboard from performacepda.com?

I have my phone through Cingular if this makes a difference at all.

Any help would really be appreciated.
    I've replaced my keyboard myself as well, and it sounds like you got a defective keyboard. Also check to make sure that the connector is all the way in on the mainboard before clasping it shut. I had that problem once and didn't realize it. What did you mean by your "R" key sticking on your old keyboard? Was the foil that is under the keys dented, as in there's no bump where the "R" would be"? I had that problem with my right "Shift" key and had to peel off the foil partly off the keyboard and pop it back up from the back myself.

Hope some of all my blabbing helps.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  3.    #3  
    Ok, so I spent the last hour continuing to mess with it and finally got it working.

I tried messing with the connector from the keyboard to the main board a few times and it still wasn't working.

When I orginally opened up the phone there was a thin rubber piece that seperated the flex keyboard (actual buttons you push) from the hard keyboard (part that has the connector to the actual phone). Neither the flex keyboard or hard keyboard came with a replacement for this so I thought that may be interfering with contact between the flex and hard keyboard parts so I removed it from the phone and when I reclosed it up it started working.

I have a hard time believe that this small piece stopped all interaction between the flex and hard keyboard. It may have just been that when I reconnected everything the last time I got the connector in correctly but I'm pretty sure I put it back in the same way I had before.

I'm not sure what you're refering to when you say the 'foil'. Are you refering to the foil on the hard keyboard or does your flex keyboard have a foil on the back of it. Neither my old flex keyboard nor the new one from pdaperformance.com had any foil on it. It also doesn't seem like the foil on the hard keyboard should be messed with.
    Glad you got it working! I was referring to the foil on the hard keyboard, the one with the little bumps on it. I just had to peel part of it off the hard keyboard and pop the crushed "Shift" key back up to fix it.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  5.    #5  
    Ahhh, ok, I didn't realize that was the foil that was being talked about. I just peeled it back and pushed the 'r' key back up (not sure how well it worked). I guess I'll just keep it as a back up in case the new one breaks.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.