Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    According to this the 680 will be available in the UK at the end of November. Possibly earlier via carriers, Palm themselves or other vendors of course.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    That's great news as my Orange contract has just ran out. So Expansys will be offering it unlocked no doubt and with a Vodafone contract?

It will probably take ages for somebody like O2 or Orange to offer it....
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That's great news as my Orange contract has just ran out. So Expansys will be offering it unlocked no doubt and with a Vodafone contract?

It will probably take ages for somebody like O2 or Orange to offer it....
    Will Orange ever offer it? while they have some hangovers like the treo 650 (which I'm not even sure you can get anymore off orange even if it's on the website) - all of upcoming smartphones are 3G (which orange are very very keen to push). I'm not sure where a 2g smartphone fits into that line.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Orange seem to be pushing WM hard. I think the future for us UK guys is with a carrier like Vodafone. I didn't realise how tied in I'd get to be with the Palm OS when I bought my first Palm M505 a few years back!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I think the future for us UK guys is with a carrier like Vodafone.
    Keep saying T-mobile until the others actually catch up with sensible data plans!
    The 650 is still available from Orange and I think they will offer the 680 and when they do I'm sure it will have their delightful home screen. They have recently displeased me so I will be going the unlocked route via Expansys. I will however miss Orange Care which replaced my faulty 650 3 times.

Vodafone certainly has the best coverage in my area but their data charges are outrageous. There are rumours that they will be offering more competitive packages soon but I doubt they will match T-Mobile.

Overall I'm looking forward to this upgrade, however minor and the sooner the better.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I wonder if the Orange version of the 680 will be... orange!

I agree though that a 'cheap' consumer oriented 2G phone is not going to be very exciting for the carriers. They are likely to be more interested in selling expensive phones with even more expensive data contracts to business users.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos View Post
    The 650 is still available from Orange and I think they will offer the 680 and when they do I'm sure it will have their delightful home screen.

Yeah but the 650 is already available - I would guess they are running down stock - what we are talking about is upcoming phones. Orange has invested big in their 3g network and from looking at the media reports is very very keen to get as many people on and using content. The average spend monthly spend is what they are after and converting people or getting them on 3g is part of the plan for increasing that spend.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Nice quote from the Expansys guy

The 700p and 680 is the same device
    Erm nope
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post

Erm nope
    That is somewhat concerning!

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    I think they were trying to say that the previously listed 700p is now the 680, as no GSM version of the 700p is being released. At least, that was how I took it!
    That is somewhat concerning!
    Sorted

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread....=8&man=PALMONE

Unless they pull my comments
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Sorted

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread....=8&man=PALMONE

Unless they pull my comments
    HA! You couldn't resist could you

If their purchasing dept doesn't know the difference I'm not sure I'd want to buy from them (although I really do need a new Palm OS smartphone)!

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I've left my own comments

@ChasT Just noticed you live just down the road from me