1.    #1  
    I was listening to Ptunes via headphones when interrupted by a call. The headphones immediately went dead. When I pulled out the headphone plug, the Treo didn't recognize it. Specifically, it was silent and the speakerphone option button was not recognized. I went back to Ptunes and also silence on the speaker but my headphones were OK. The system button clicks/beeps were also non-existant.
    So I soft reset and no fix. So I assume the speaker is blown or something. Now this is where it gets strange. I dial my voice mail and I'm using 2dial which is set to launch into speakerphone mode. The speaker works perfectly. However if I dial another number manually, I get the same behavior - silence and no speakerphone option button as if headphones are connected. So I resort the old reliable fix (the hard reset). This has got to work as clearly it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. Yes, I've got a completely virgin 700p but still no external speaker sound. Took the f....n thing back and they gave me another one. So now, I'm afraid to use pTunes for fear of getting another phone call and having the whole thing fry again.
    That is strange, I've been using ptunes for years w/o any problems. The only thing I could suggest if it happens again is try the 'bypass headset jack' option in volumecare. I've heard that will fix wierd problems with speakers.
    I've bumped into this problem myself on two different devices and suspect a hardware problem rather than ptunes. The Treo seems to get confused and acts like headphones are still plugged in. Like you I've already ended up with a new Treo because of this. On my latest I've had success plugging the headphones back in and unplugging them repeatedly until the problem goes away.
  4.    #4  
    Confused Treo sounds right. I briefly tried to plug in my headphones without success but since the Verizon store was only a couple blocks away I just swapped it.
    Broken headset jacks are becoming very common these days! When the headset jack fails, it causes the Treo to believe a headset is plugged into the jack all the time. Thus the internal speakers and microphone become disabled. There are different failure conditions that you will see on a partial jack failure too. For example, a single speaker may die or your microphone may just stop working. Very strange situation. VolumeCare's Bypass option tries to route the audio around the broken headset jack. It is not 100% because there are conditions where the hardware failure is so severe that it can not perform the bypass. But to ensure this feature will work for you, there is a 2 day free trial period for you to test and verify the bypass feature before you need to purchase the Bypass add-on feature set.

I hope this helps......

Jeff
    speaker failure caused me to exchange for a new replacement a month and 1/2 ago.
    Treo 700p--> New to Treo Pro (SERO)
    GO BEARS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinJohn View Post
    On my latest I've had success plugging the headphones back in and unplugging them repeatedly until the problem goes away.
    This fixed my problem, too. What a scary bug! I've reported it here:
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...&postcount=330

FYI, make sure you've got the top switch on "ring" and not "buzz" - otherwise, you won't hear the music through the speakers, either.
    Last edited by RockOfVictory; 01/15/2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: FYI addition about ring/buzz
    ~ Zepfanman.com - When you can't find it on Google [my website]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    Broken headset jacks are becoming very common these days! When the headset jack fails, it causes the Treo to believe a headset is plugged into the jack all the time. Thus the internal speakers and microphone become disabled. There are different failure conditions that you will see on a partial jack failure too. For example, a single speaker may die or your microphone may just stop working. Very strange situation. VolumeCare's Bypass option tries to route the audio around the broken headset jack. It is not 100% because there are conditions where the hardware failure is so severe that it can not perform the bypass. But to ensure this feature will work for you, there is a 2 day free trial period for you to test and verify the bypass feature before you need to purchase the Bypass add-on feature set.

I hope this helps......

Jeff
    Dead on - headset jack is not very sturdy. I have innodock seidio and the act of docking and undocking with audio jack plug each day has lossen the connector. Once you hose the jack your screwed. I'm on my third 700p. Turning out to be much more delicate than the 650.
    I'm having the headset jack problem too on my Treo 700p, where it keeps thinking a headset is connected while I'm on a call when it really isn't, so that both the internal mic and speaker are blocked.

The weird thing is that it works intermittently, and starts and stops working without me even doing anything. Does that offer any extra insight into what the problem is?