1.    #1  
    hello,

I live in canada, but i'll be travelling down to california and oregon at the beginning of next month. i'm really interested in the 680, i had a few questions as I've never owned a smart phone before.

if i bought one without a plan in the states, would i be able to swap out my current SIM card and use it in the treo?

are the number buttons blue or black?

is there a way to update the OS after you buy it? Say, if a new version of the palm OS came out a couple of months after I bought the Treo?

Any help would really be appreciated!
    Last edited by idesign245; 10/16/2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: no one was answering
  2. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    It is thought Palm will sell the 680 directly. Pricing is unknown, but clearly it will cost more to get one from Palm without a carrier subsidy.
    Don't know about button colors-there are pictures and videos all over this site, you can find this one out.
    So far, I don't recall any past TREO being upgraded to newer versions of Palm OS, and since this is an entry model, I wouldn't think this would happen. There are updates from time to time, but the OS version and revision level (which it normally takes to get new features) doesn't get updated. I see no technical reason this couldn't be done where processor families don't change, but it isn't.
    You can read the ongoing - for years - comments about Palm OS/Garnet version being "dead" or the last until a completely new base is developed that will multi-task, allowing faster data transfer and use of two programs at once (like voice and data). My bet is Access, the company doing most known development of a new palm OS, will eventually have a product. It will be Linux based and have backward palm application compatibility for "well behaved" programs. 2007 and the next Treo product set before that happens.
    If you buy from Palm, it should be unlocked and your SIM *should* work. If not, (as these standards change sometimes too) you should be able to get a newer SIM from your provider that would work.
    Hope this helps.
    This is probably going to be the last PalmOS phone from Palm I doubt you can find a 'newer' version to update from.

Although it would be nice to have a firmware update that add SDHC support (4GB-32GB SD), it's not out of realm of possibility.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Yeah you might find that Palm release 5.XXXXXXXXXX but I wouldn't worry about it.
  5.    #5  
    i've looked at all of the pictures of the 680 and i still can't tell if the buttons are blue or black... any ideas?
    Something VERY fishy about that ad! First of all, there is no way the 680 is priced at $799! Secondly, why would they still have PalmOne in their ad, when it has been Palm for well over a year!!! I wouldn't touch this with a 20 ft pole!
    Quote Originally Posted by idesign245 View Post
    hello,

I live in canada, but i'll be travelling down to california and oregon at the beginning of next month. i'm really interested in the 680, i had a few questions as I've never owned a smart phone before.

if i bought one without a plan in the states, would i be able to swap out my current SIM card and use it in the treo?
    I have a 650 that I swap out between my US TMO SIM card and my Canadian Fido SIM card. No problems. The problem, if any, will be your subscription--I don't use data in Canada so I don't have a subscription to it there, but you'll need it and I think it is not quite as flexible under Canadian plans as it might be here. In any event, you'll have to make sure you have data, and you'll have to decide whether you want unlimited data (sort of the only sensible choice with all the 680 functionality) or limited data (almost always impractical except for those who use very very little data).