Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    i am new to treo

i have been looking at all the diffrent remote desktop clients

which ones work best with xp home edition

thanks, ron
    PalmVNC 2.0.5 works great for me! I use it all the time and love the response times. Can't say much about any other apps, as I haven't used anything else.
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    palmvnc was working great for me, until I installed my wireless network at home,which has given me a new ip address. even though I updated the palmvnc with the new ip on both the treo and my pc, I still can't get it to work. anybody have a similiar issue or know how I can resolve this?
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    I say MobileTS is great. I could never get PalmVNC to work well and causes me headaches.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    EZRemote is the best one, and I've tried many including the expensive and not-updated-in-years MobileTS & RemotePlus... Those are RDP clients though.

My favorite is still PalmVNC.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503 View Post
    palmvnc was working great for me, until I installed my wireless network at home,which has given me a new ip address. even though I updated the palmvnc with the new ip on both the treo and my pc, I still can't get it to work. anybody have a similiar issue or know how I can resolve this?
    Your 'wireless' network is probably a wireless router you installed. Whenever you install a router, you need to forward ports. VNC uses port 5900. When a request comes in from the outside world (the internet) on port 5900, your router needs to know which computer to forward this request to in your house. Read about port forwarding in your router's setup guide. There is likely a configuration page where you can set this up on your router/home computer

By the way, EzRemote, MobileTS, and RemotePlus all require XP PRO (not Home)
    Last edited by wcarlson40; 10/16/2006 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Add comment
    thanks, i'll check this out when I get home later.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    so is palmvnc the only one that works on xp home?

does someone have easy step by step how to install palmvnc and what ever i need to do to my home computer to make it work.

i keep seeing diffrent methods and i dont know which way to go.

thanks, ron
    Here's a guide.

Here's a reference for the port forwarding issue.
    It boils down to how you want to login in my opinion... If you use EZRemote and the likes, you are gonna use that windows built in remote access crap, which is awful, again, IMO. PalmVNC runs fast, runs smooth, and gets the job done, allbeit a bit dirtier than the others... i think its the only real choice
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    thanks guys

does it matter what program i run on my computer ultravnc, realvnc etc.

thanks agian

later, ron
    It shouldn't matter. The walkthrough uses RealVNC; I use UltraVNC.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    also are you using the no-ip thing or is it not needed

should palmvnc be installed on phone or the sd or does it matter

thanks agian
    please remeber i am new to treo and apps so dont beat me up to bad

thanks, ron
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    can someone please help me configure this

thanks, ron
    Using no-ip or not is completely up to you. Either you always remember your IP address (which could change) or setup no-ip and remember that instead. I'd suggest using no-ip.

I've used PalmVNC plenty on both my SD card and in main memory - it works great either way.

What specific questions do you have regarding configuration? PalmVNC, UltraVNC, or no-ip?

As a summary:
    You need to install UltraVNC (or RealVNC, TightVNC, whatever).
    While installing, there will be an option to install UltraVNC as a service. I recommend this.
    When that's all done, find the UltraVNC folder in your Startup menu and find "Run Service Helper" and run that.
    Right click on the blue UltraVNC icon in your systray, click on Admin Properties. This is where you set your password and notice that your Main Port is set by default to 5900. This is the port you need to forward to your computer through your router.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    i have ultravnc, palmvnc, mergicvpn, mergicping, no-ip all installed but i dont no how to configure it all to work together.

i am trying to use these directions http://palmvnc2.free.fr/vpn.php but i dont understand the port, server, router, info.

thanks for you help

ron
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlv View Post
    i have ultravnc, palmvnc, mergicvpn, mergicping, no-ip all installed but i dont no how to configure it all to work together.

i am trying to use these directions http://palmvnc2.free.fr/vpn.php but i dont understand the port, server, router, info.

thanks for you help

ron
    Hey Ron! Here's a somewhat step-by-step guide that worked for me using PalmVNC on the Treo and UltraVNC on the computer side. By the way I'd suggest to stick to those two for now:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=42

Now, to add more details on your setup:

Set up a fixed IP address on the computer hosting UltraVNC. Here's a link to a page that explains how to do this step by step:

http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

If you have questions on how to set up port forwarding on your router, the same page has tons of references and step by step guides:

http://portforward.com/default.htm

Believe me, if you follow all steps mentioned in the links you will get things up & running in almost no time.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Don't forget MochaRemote if you are just looking for a RDP client. It's cheaper than MobileTS and works great.
    AT&T iPhone, My Blog!