1.    #1  
    My employer uses Exchange and doesn't offer POP3, IMAP4, or ActiveSync.

So, I think my mobile e-mail options are:

A. ChatterEmail + Exchange plug-in
    B. BBConnect
    C. Sprint Business Connection Personal Edition

I haven't been able to get ChatterEmail to work yet, and BBConnect seems like a hog (4-5MB RAM required!).

I'm intrigued by Sprint BizConn, but don't understand exactly how it works. There really seems to be a lack of information published on the thing.

I do understand that I have run a client on my PC.

Here's what I think happens:

A. The desktop client accesses my Exchange server over MAPI to watch for new messages
    B. When a new message arrives, the desktop BC client sends some data (what data? the whole message?) to a Sprint BC server
    C. The Sprint BC server sends a hidden SMS message to tell my phone to go get a new mail
    D. then what? My phone gets the e-mail from the Sprint BC sever?

Of course, once I get that figured out, my last issue is that my work machine is a laptop, so I won't be able to run the BC client there. My home machine runs Linux, so I won't be able to run the client there (unless I want to screw around with virtualization or wine...!).

Anyway, comments on BizConn would be great.

-Matt
    If you have OWA access to your Exchange mail, ChatterEmail should work for you (95% of installations will work, in my experience). Send me email at support@chatteremail.com for help; a log (instructions in the FAQ at my site) would help.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    bump.

Still looking for a decent explanation on BizConn. Did I guess right?
    I have been using BizConn for nearly three years now and have had no problems with it. I usually receive messages within a few seconds after it arrives in my Exchange inbox.

The way it works is pretty much like you describe it. The desktop client watches for new email to arrive in your Exchange mailbox and alerts the BizConn server to send your Treo a hidden SMS which then instructs your Treo to perform a sync which will retrieve any new messages.

We have four people using it in my organization. I have setup a Windows 2000 Pro machine running Microsoft Virtual PC (Freeware) and four virtual Windows 2000 Pro OSs that run simulatenously. Each virtual OS has its own desktop client running for each BizConn user. That is how I am able to support all of our BizConn users who all have laptops.
    why dont you just use XP and have multiple users?

Wouldnt this work too?
    Quote Originally Posted by dcopperfield View Post
    why dont you just use XP and have multiple users?

Wouldnt this work too?
    My corporate network is on a Windows 2000 Server domain. Windows XP does not support Fast User Switching (which is what you are talking about) in an NT domain environment.
  7.    #7  
    Ok - I get it. A slight difference from my description. When the e-mail is received byt the Outlook client on the desktop PC, BizCon triggers the Treo to HotSync with the desktop PC to receive the e-mail, right?

that's interesting. Because the desktop PC could be behind a firewall/NAT, etc. I would deduce that the BizCon client must open up a TCP connection to a Sprint server that is being used as a relay. That also means there must be a piece of software on the Treo that hotsync's e-mail through the Sprint gateway/relay.

Did I complete the puzzle?

That would also explain to me why Sprint wants $15/month for the service, because they're running a communications relay, in addition to triggering the sync via SMS.
    The redirector on the desktop initiates the connection to Sprint/Seven's server. Thus, it is able to get by any firewall/NAT. After all, the user launches the redirector, like any other internet-enabled software like a web-browser. If the outgoing traffic on the ports used by SBC are blocked by the corporate firewall, the redirector will be DOA.

The redirector on the desktop is also hooked to the Exchange Server. When the redirector detects incoming e-mail, it notifies the SBC server. The SBC server sends a SMS to the Treo. The client on the Treo intercepts the SMS (keeps it hidden/silent) and initiates a pull to the SBC server, which in turn gets the e-mails from the SBC redirector on the PC.

SBC client on the Treo does not pull the e-mails directly from the desktop redirector. It uses the server as an intermediary.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A