Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am wondering if the new "tapered" case prohibits the use of the extended batteries for the 680. Any thoughts?
    All I can tell you (this'll show you how serious I am about getting a 680) is that I ordered the extended battery for the 750v, which from all the information I've been able to gather, is probably identical to the one in the 680. I just got an email from Boxwave saying that the battery just doesn't seem to function for the 750v so they are refunding my money. That's the only extended battery on the market for the 750v, so I guess there may be problems, though I have no idea what they might be. But be prepared. I guess I'll just assume I'll have to not only carry an extra battery (I do with my 650 anyhow), but also use it fairly regularly.
    Well you can use the 650/700 batteries without the battery cover....
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    And who knows, maybe someone like Seido will come out w/ a custom cover that will allow for the bigger battery?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    And who knows, maybe someone like Seido will come out w/ a custom cover that will allow for the bigger battery?
    We will probably go a step further than that: provide an extended battery in the same form factor AND a "super" extended battery that will come with its own cover.
    Well...hurry!
    so with an extended battery and perhaps cover it goes back to weighing the same as a 650? that seems defeatist, and using a device without its battery cover is just plain wrong!
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    so with an extended battery and perhaps cover it goes back to weighing the same as a 650? that seems defeatist, and using a device without its battery cover is just plain wrong!
    What's wrong with the weight? I don't understand why people complain about a few ounces / grams. It's not like these phones weigh a ton. Last I checked, even a 700P/W/WX with their extended batteries were light enough for a baby to carry.
    they do weigh a ton, or something close to it, comparatively!

very heavy vs. smaller devices
    I don't think it's the weight at all. It's the size and configuration. You buy a small portable cellphone that fits into the palm of your hand and you end up with an awkward mass, of irrelevant weight, that fits neither in your hand nor in its case. That's not what you spend four hundred dollars for, unless its a Kobe steak.
    Last I checked, Seidio's extended life batteries for the Treos could fit in there with the battery cover on. So what's keeping Treos with these extended life batteries from fitting in their cases? I know a couple of grams isn't much of a problem for me.
    I think as the post from Seidio's David says above, the form factor is simply too small to pack that much into the existing battery. So they plan to offer an extended battery in the same form, and a "super" extended battery that will have to extend beyond the present phone form.
    Just give me some duct tape and it'll all be fine. As a bonus you'll have access to the reset hole without needing to pry off the battery door, and the device won't get so hot!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    It's not that simple. I think there is no reset hole. You must remove the battery to reset. but the best accessory I got for my 650 was a back cover from Seidio that actually has a hole in it to reset. I use it all the time. That won't work with the 680 sadly unless they make a hole big enough to remove the (smaller) battery through. Save your duct tape and hope for a really strong competitor to give us real choices.
    Why do you need duck tape? Just put the phone in a leather case you don't even need the battery cover.
    Nope. The hole for the battery on the 680 is just slightly smaller than the 650/700 battery's footprint. While you can make contact with the pads on the 680 using the larger battery, you won't be able to make a solid connection without forcing the battery into the hole, which would damage the holder.
    i love it: back to those defending/justifying why a device should have a "reset hole" built into its battery cover. it shouldn't have to!

as for the extended battery, we're back to where we started with the phone starting to approximate the weight of the 650.......the larger the battery becomes the more weighty the phone gets. adios pocketability which is what they're trying to sell you in the first place given it's "slimmed down" shape and form. hey, i'm all for the 680, but it's funny how none of their devices are enough for many on this board out of the box. the phone hasn't even hit the shelves and we're here discussing extended batteries!

keeping my Pearl and will test drive the 680 like i do all the rest.
    What do you think the battery will be like compared to the 650? better or worse. The specs are misleading
    Why do you need duck tape? Just put the phone in a leather case you don't even need the battery cover.
    Cases make the treo even larger than it already is. No thanks. I've never used one and my treo looks fine.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Any ideas as to when we will be seeing extended batteries for these babies?
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast