Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    And wait till the Non-Techie's get their 680's and jump on this site!! Some of the more "hard core, the search button is your freind" posters heads are going to blow!!!

I can see it now, "I know there must be some kind of thread on this but how do you sync your bluetooth headset??" or "Has anyone tried X launcher? If so, what do you think??"

Man you won't be able to get on this site w/o a fireproof laptop!!!

LOL.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    Here we go again with FrankenGarnet?! (Feels like groundhog day.)

Upgrade? I don't think so!

Entry-level? Maybe, but that's being generous.

Perhaps Palm is trying its hand at the teeny-bopper and college crowd. These students have the money or can wring it from their parents' hands, and they're none too bright. With their colors, they also seem to be targeting women. But, alas, no fix for tech diehards. Not that tech diehard and woman are mutually exclusive categories; some of my best friends are women.

There used to be a time when the smartphone market was for geeks only. The conventional wisdom for the general cell phone consumer market was "smaller is better." With no small help from smartphone makers, it looks as if this trend is on the verge of changing. Have you seen the recent media blitz? Smartphones are appearing on all the hot shows and in the hands of all the sexiest people.

At any rate, I wish the Palm folks well. Here is another opportunity for them to shine. From my perspective, they blew it with the hardcore tech crowd. They allowed WM5 devices to beat them in terms of features and innovation, sold off their OS division, and then inexplicably produced their own WM5 device! It's kind of like Wendy's selling McDonald's fries, and smells like capitualtion to me. Now the tech gods have given Palm yet another chance. Based on past history, however, I am neither holding my breath nor betting the farm.
    Generation Y is currently the largest demographic in the U.S., outnumbering the Baby Boomers. They've got the cash and they know their stuff when it comes to electronics. They're not all like Paris Hilton (thank God).
    As far as I'm concerned, here are the things the new Treo "for the masses" should have or be able to do:

1. Colorful - more to choose from is never bad; should be able to change covers too.
    2. MP3/Wave/WMA/Midi - the new Treo should be able to handle these files easily, and it should be able to use these formats as ringtones/alert tones/etc natively. It should also come with stereo headphones to listen to music, and could also be used for handsfree calls.
    3. Playing videos - the new Treo should be able to record and play videos, streaming or whatnot.
    4. Camera - the new Treo should have a camera that can take crisp pictures. Nothing less than a 1.3 megapixel camera should be standard.
    5. Quad-band - should be usable in lots of countries, GSM preferably.
    6. Bluetooth - duh.
    7. Games - should have some games that show off the power of the hardware
    8. Compatible with most other OS like Symbian and WM5 (for file transfers, contacts, etc. thru IR or bluetooth)
    9. Customizable themes - and I'm not just talking colors here.
    10. Able to browse the internet and/or have GPRS.
    11. Expandable memory - SD/MMC/Mini-SD, whatever. As long as it has one.
    12. Price - anything less than $200 is gonna rock!

Almost Palm, almost.
  4.    #24  
    I think some of you guys took my post the wrong way. I am suggesting that this is a golden opportunity for Palm, but I don't think they can live up to expectations. What we have here is a company that has been its own worst enemy. This will not be the first time the folks there have failed to capitalize on an advantage.

On another point, while it is true that the masses have greater economic power collectively than us hardcore techies, it is we who pay for R&D (research and development) costs in terms of exorbitant prices we willingly pay to be early adopters, it is we who beta test the half-baked cr@p released from production lines long before it is ready, and it is us who join communities like TC to help newbies with their issues and to make adjustments that improve the usability of products. In short, they need us! And they better not screw around with us.
    Last edited by treo...not!; 10/17/2006 at 07:01 PM.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by idesign245 View Post
    Did you ever attend college? To make such a broad statement like that is pretty ignorant. I am a college student, and consider myself to be both knowledgable, intelligent and... big surprise here, I also work for a living. On top of all that, I am woman! Is it so wrong for a tech company to provide a product that would be appealing and functional to a specific group of people, or are only business men worthy of that?
    First of all, unwarranted attacks on my level of education do not make your points any more valid. If you must know, I graduated summa *** laude (4.0) with a master's degree I earned while working. I am currently working on a Ph.D.

Second, if you had read more carefully, you would have realized that I was using hyperbolic, somewhat whimsical language to refer to college folks. Although, I must say that having taught college for two years, that group does seem to have more than its fair share of dunderheads, who get to enjoy a prolonged adolescence at their parents' or taxpayers' expense. You, however, seem to be a happy exception.

Third, did you not get the fact that, though it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I did maintain that woman and techie are not mutually exclusive categories?

Fourth, companies target products to specific customers all the time, get used to it.
    if you had read more carefully, you would have realized that I was using hyperbolic, somewhat whimsical language to refer to college folks.
    Honestly it wasn't very clear that you were using exaggerated language. I was about to respond to your post when it occured to me that could be the case.

In short, they need us! And they better not screw around with us.
    I think you may be overestimating Palm's dependence on us and as a result have overrated the amount of power we have.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

First of all, unwarranted attacks on my level of education do not make your points any more valid. If you must know, I graduated summa *** laude (4.0) with a master's degree I earned while working. I am currently working on a Ph.D.

Second, if you had read more carefully, you would have realized that I was using hyperbolic, somewhat whimsical language to refer to college folks. Although, I must say that having taught college for two years, that group does seem to have more than its fair share of dunderheads, who get to enjoy a prolonged adolescence at their parents' or taxpayers' expense. You, however, seem to be a happy exception.

Third, did you not get the fact that, though it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I did maintain that woman and techie are not mutually exclusive categories?

Fourth, companies target products to specific customers all the time, get used to it.
    i wasn't attacking your education, i was simply asking if had attended college, because if you had, and you are a techie, i was curious why would you be grouping college kids in such a broad catagory as "spoilt and stupid", when you, yourself don't fit in to that either.
    Found this old article...

Continuing the momentum of the Palm(TM) Zire(TM) handheld as the fastest-growing handheld in Palm's history, Palm, Inc. today said sales of the original Zire handheld have passed the 1 million mark.

"By focusing on what matters most to the mainstream, we delivered the first consumer handheld to break the sub-$100 price point and reached a previously untapped market," said Todd Bradley, president and chief executive officer, Palm Solutions Group. "And the mainstream responded -- first-time handheld purchasers, including students, families and individuals, have embraced the Zire handheld as an affordable way to organize their busy lives."

This is an excerpt from an aritcle written in May 2003 I found online. Maybe it explains why Palm would invest in an entry level smart phone - they made an entry level handheld a few years ago that became "the fastest-growing handheld in Palm's history".

The last time I was in an airport, just about everyone had a Treo or Blackberry. They are doing pretty well with the "professional". Something that appeals to a professional would arguably be overkill for some others. So Palm develops an entry level Treo for people that aren't professionals, all cell phone companies do it.
    -BD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12