Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Read Commentary

Honestly, I'm not just stirring the pot here. I've come around. I think the 680 is going to do just fine.
    A real estate agent I know has seen me in action with my Treo 650 over the last year or so. Based on my recommendation she got the 700p. I set up Chatteremail to get her AOL IMAP email. She's happy.

The PalmOS is the one for non-techie people who don't have a burning need to have their handheld communicate with an Exchange Server. Because of that second (work-related) requirement I will be moving to WM5-based handsets -- the Dash then the 750 when it comes out.

I'm also going to get a small phone -- maybe something along the lines of the 3125 -- for when I don't want to carry the full QWERTY phone. But it has to talk to my Exchange Server too.

Bottom line -- I think you're right. The soccer mom crowd I have seen adopt the 650 will take to the 680. Especially if they can buy a pink one. I'm serious.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Bottom line -- I think you're right. The soccer mom crowd I have seen adopt the 650 will take to the 680. Especially if they can buy a pink one. I'm serious.
    Whoa, I was expecting a beat down! I agree with you, obviously. Why on EARTH didn't they make a pink one? Ah well.
    You are presupposing there is a large population who were wanting a Treo but were put of by the size and antenna. You have not explained the value and desirability proposition to your typical soccer mum. Why would she not just get a Razr, or one of the even thinner smartphones around now?

Lets extend your list a bit to include the non-touchscreen devices (why would our soccer mum confine herself to those?)

Code:
    Motorola Q                              0.45 "
    T-Mobile Dash                           0.5"
    Imate UBiQUiO 501                        0.5"
    Samsung SGH i320                         0.5"
    Samsung SGH i607                        0.5"
    Nokia E61                                    0.55 "
    Blackberry Pearl                              0.6" 
    Sony Erricson M600i                        0.6"
    HP iPAQ hw6510 / hw6515               0.71" 
    HP iPAQ hw6940 / hw6915               0.71" 
    PPC-6600 / PPC-6601 / XV6600 (HTC Harrier) .74" 
    Treo 680                                0.8" 
    PPC-6700 / XV-6700 (HTC Apache)   0.9"  
    HTC TyTN                                     0.9" 
    Hitachi G1000                                0.9" 
    Palm Treo 650 / 700p / 700w|wx .9" 
    HTC Wizard / 8125 / 8100 / MDA (USA) / K-JAM .93" 
    Sony Ericsson P910A                       1.02" 
    Motorola MPx                                 0.94" 
    Samsung SCH-i730                         0 .93" 
    Samsung SCH-i830 / IP-830w           0.97
    It doesn't stack up so well now, does it? Of course the USA does not have the benefit of ALL these devices, but they do have some, and the Treo 680 is meant to be a world phone, on 20 carries by the ed of FY 2007.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 10/14/2006 at 07:58 PM.
    Surer,

I don't think it is just the size. My aunt got a RZR and it drover her batty. Too complex.

OTOH the functionality of the Treo (calendar/email/contacts in your hand) is highly prized by the soccer mom crowd -- I've seen this in action. Size is not relevant -- the phone goes into a cavernous purse anyway.

I've seen soccer moms get the PalmOS Treos and I've seen one get the W. The one with the W didn't have nearly the positive reaction that the other ones did.

I think the style evolution of the 680, coupled with the colors, coupled with the ease of use of the PalmOS, will appeal to many, many "normal" people.

But yeah. Palm needs pink. We had this discussion, right Surur? Your daughter and the pink Razor. In your epic phrase, "The Power of Pink."
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I've been a loyal palm user since the Handspring Visor. I loved it, and if I can find it again, I'll give it to my parents, so they'll learn that yes, kids, technology can be FUN! So I was walking around with my workhorse Nokia 5160, and my Visor, and my husband comes home with the treo 300 that he had to carry when he was on call. I fell in love again. By the time I was able to get a new phone, the 600 was out, but it was brand new, and had the brand new price to go with it, so I got the 270. I have always hated flip phones, and I hated the 270's (and 300's, obviously) form, but I loved having everything I needed in 1 small (imho), easy to use device. Eventually (2 years ago) I bought a used 600 on ebay, and though it's not perfect, it was as close as I could imagine. Thanks to too many impacts, my beloved 600 is dying. I did the buzz fix a year ago, and it worked perfectly, but now, it drops calls, crackles, and 1/2 the time I can't answer. So I started bidding on 650s on ebay, and lost them all. Now I'm actually glad. I'm holding out for the 680, because while it's not a HUGE upgrade from the 650, it's enough for this 600 user. I'm glad about the colors, because maybe that'll be enough to bring some undecideds into the fold (I'll stick w/ the grey- while I like the red, I worry it'll draw enough attention so someone will try to steal it, and I don't have bail money for attempted homicide). I know there are other smartphones out there... as a tmo user, I was briefly tempted by the Dash, but I LIKE Palm OS, and though I have a feeling it's days are numbered, I will use it as long as I can. Is it as pretty as Winmo? no, but it does what I want, easily. I don't need/want wifi. A better camera would be nice, but honestly, I rarely use the 600's camera. I love the touchscreen, and don't ever want a phone without it. I love the full QWERTY. I like the ringer options. I like having 1 tool that can do everything I need, and doesn't give me headaches. I'm a 33 year old mom, married to an internet security analyst, so technology is a major part of our life, and our home. I can carry all of our info, securely. I can call, I can text, I can listen to music, look at pics (haven't tried video). I can use any number of apps (99% of the apps I use are freeware- another reason I love Palm OS) to do just about anything I want/need. The way I've explained it to people who don't get it is simple. If I have my keys, wallet, and treo, I can handle just about anything. I have long considered myself a power user, but according to some on TC, I'm nothing more than a soccer mom with a toy, but it's way beyond that. It's my 2nd brain, and I rely on it. So while it may not be a huge upgrade, it's enough for me.
    I agree with the commentary. Ease of use for useful things (like contacts and calendar) along with good looks and colors is going to make it more successful than current Palm products. The people on this board are enormously skewed from most people. The only people I know with Treos personally (beside myself I believe) don't even know how to change the default ringtone and volume. This is going to be more than enough for them.

I just got the 750v and I LOVE this form factor. It's much better than the specs say. If the 680 is the same (and it seems it is). People are going to love this once it's in their hands.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    kbd517's comments = my wife's experience with the Treo 650 she has. (I gave her mine when I decided that Treos were useless and the Blackberry was where it's at, then ditched the BB to return to a Treo, but she wouldn't give it back so I had to buy another one).

I especially agree with the point of view on PalmOS that says, yes, maybe it is on borrowed time but it is userfriendly so I'm going to wring as much as I can out of it.
    I have been a Palm user since VX, gradually moving up to T650. A long the way, I have tried a few WM devices and hate it for it's complexity of user interface. So, while I wish this new Treo have wifi, I will replace my 650 with this new one for the extra memory, the "no antenna" feature and the friendly user interface.

My only problem now is to figure out if my 650 craddle and 2400mh battery will be compatible with new Treo. Anyone have any idea ?
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Whoa, I was expecting a beat down! I agree with you, obviously. Why on EARTH didn't they make a pink one? Ah well.
    I believe they will, maybe a Christmas special edition if they launch soon, if not surly in time for Valentines day!
    The cradle is basically compatible. I've been using one for the past day with a 750v. It's a little bit loose compared to the 650 or 700p but seems to work fine.

If the 680 battery is the same as the 750v (which I think it is), forget about the 2400 battery. I had one and it barely fit in my 700p. It's double the size of the 750v battery, that thing is really thin.

Quote Originally Posted by idian View Post
    I have been a Palm user since VX, gradually moving up to T650. A long the way, I have tried a few WM devices and hate it for it's complexity of user interface. So, while I wish this new Treo have wifi, I will replace my 650 with this new one for the extra memory, the "no antenna" feature and the friendly user interface.

My only problem now is to figure out if my 650 craddle and 2400mh battery will be compatible with new Treo. Anyone have any idea ?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Honestly, I think a business user could still use the 680 in the graphite color. Looking at the specs and knowing what software can be added, this can become someone's all purpose phone just like the 650, IF they can deal with the Palm OS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    The white one is cool looking!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I LOVE WM5. Its a great OS that is powerful, aesthetically pleasing, and has kept me organized for the past year or so. I DEFINITELY prefer it over the PalmOS - actually, I probably won't be using POS ever again.

With that said, I completely agree with the commentary. WM5 is definitely not for everyone. There is a steep (steeper?) learning curve associated with WM5. PalmOS really isn't a complicated OS. Most people can pick it up and start using it. The biggest thing that I've noticed that confused people about my Treo 650 when I had it was how to undo the key-lock (END key then Center button). People can't even figure out how to turn the screen on with my 8125 (to be fair to WM5, the Treo 700w|wx and 750 turn on/off the same as the Treo 650).

I really think Palm is headed in the right direction with the 680. I'm beginning to think that from now on, PalmOS devices will be geared directly at the consumer market and the WM5 devices at the business market. Makes sense really. I LOVE the treo form factor. I think that people that are looking at the SK3, Q, Dash, MDA/8125/6700, and Blackberry devices will definitely look at the 680, especially if they don't need all of that "business" stuff.
    Depends on the business I guess, but I could certainly use the 680 with apps everyone adds to the 650. But I can't use Palm OS anymore either.

I never expected the 680 to be for me. I've expected all along that the 750 would be the product I would want, and it is. I can't say that I've studied the smartphone market well enough to take a guess at whether the 680 will succeed or fail, but the article very well could be correct. But there is an element of chance to it. There are so many factors that will determine whether it succeeds or fails, from the pricing, to whether the initial ad campaign captures the public's attention.

One thing about the normal consumer market out there vs. the "smartphone geek" market in here: the consumer market has a lot less tolerance for buggy devices, so this thing better not have the reset problems and bugs of the 650 and 700p. Because while those of us who hang around a forum like this might be willing to struggle with a device because we know it ultimately is the best solution to our needs, but that won't happen with a product aimed at the mainstream, because their needs can be met by any of dozens of devices. If the 680 resets constantly and displays the bugginess of its recent PalmOS predecessors, it will just develop a reputation for being a crappy product and it will fail miserably. And unlike the die-hards in this forum, the "soccer mom" consumer won't take the time to figure it out, they'll just trade it in for another phone...and tell their friends how much their old phone sucked. So let's hope the 680 has the stability of the 600 rather than the 650, or otherwise it could be a disaster for Palm.
    No doubt the Treo 680 is a nice device, but to penetrate the consumer market, they have to appeal to people who never knew they wanted a Treo. Palm has actually gone some way to doing this, e.g. by adding a Yahoo music subscription, and with this google maps client, but I fear they are still going after the Organizer crowd, and I think most people feel they dont need an electronic brain to keep them organized.

The market for a stylish phone is much larger, or one geared to entertainment.

Surur
    My Treo 650, and the Treo 600 that I had before that are my lifeline, my "detatchable brain". As a part time consultant, the documents to go and email on the Treo help me to be mobile during the day rather than tethered to my computer. When my Treo 650 "dies" I intend to replace it with whatever Palm/Cingular has available with the Palm OS (I am heavily invested in add- on software).
    When friends/co-workers see me using my Treo they always marvel at how much it can do, however the keyboard usually makes them think that it's just too complex for them to use as a phone.
    With the way the teens are texting these days, I think the 680 will be popular if the price is low enough, but I do think that they should have made a pink model instead of orange....Maybe someone will market removable covers with nice colors for the weekend that can be removed on Monday for the big business meeting, when silver is a more appropriate color for a device in that context...
    As the techno geek of our 3 adult family....there is no way we would switch to WM. The Palm OS is easy for me to walk thru errors with my 66 year old mother and my 40 year old brother.

We all love the phone/pda of the 650 and don't really care about all the business aspects.

So...I have to agree...there is a huge market out there! So many times people ask me about my "brick"...then realize it is a phone...wireless web...email....text messaging...mp3 player...oh and did I mention carrying all my photos and being able to watch movies...Quicken....grocery list....docs to go....blah...blah...

I have def seen more treo's around than I used to...something is going right! But pink would be good!

Here us Palm....Pink is IN!

PS...does anyone know what the price is going to be and is this GSM or CDMA?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Honestly, I think a business user could still use the 680 in the graphite color. Looking at the specs and knowing what software can be added, this can become someone's all purpose phone just like the 650, IF they can deal with the Palm OS.

Lady Diva, i'm surprised you said what you said....in truth, a "business user" might want it in a variety of colors as well....they're not all stodgy "wall street" types wanting everything flannel grey.....
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast