Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by zetsurin View Post
    At the expense of PDAs. It's just the same people switching to new gadgets.

This is especially true of PalmOS Treo users, who Ed said in one of his conference calls consist 75% of upgraders. In a way I am surprised they do not offer better upgrade paths for these people because of this. What's a GSM Treo 650 user going to upgrade to?

Surur
    Smart phones are always only going to be niche. And, honestly, this AINT no ipod.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    No that's wrong - Smartphones are the growth sector in the phone market.
    At the expense of PDAs. It's just the same people switching to new gadgets.
    As smartphones become cheaper more people will adopt them. As more people adopt, smartphones will get more exposure, and additional people will adopt them as well. If not for any other reason than to simply keep up with the Jones', the smartphone sector will continue to grow to new customers.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    ...What's a GSM Treo 650 user going to upgrade to?

Surur
    Well, my 650's contract is soon up, and with a new contract its not going to cost much for me to upgrade to a 680. While not an outstanding upgrade, the better size, lack of Antenna, and possibly even the new colours make it worth my while for a year or so until someone (hopefully Palm themselves) come up with a more revolutionary upgrade...
    Treo 270>600>650>samsung i780>pre
    Quote Originally Posted by JonStern View Post
    Well, my 650's contract is soon up, and with a new contract its not going to cost much for me to upgrade to a 680. While not an outstanding upgrade, the better size, lack of Antenna, and possibly even the new colours make it worth my while for a year or so until someone (hopefully Palm themselves) come up with a more revolutionary upgrade...
    Well, you're awful eager just because your contract is up. Why not send a message that we would really rather have a /real/ upgrade and hold out? If the market is so gullable as to accept this as an upgrade, then Palm won't feel pressure to do better. Heck, it took the EUROPEANS to get Palm to ditch the antenna wart. I think that pretty much says it all as far as how clear Palm has been getting the message from US consumers up to this point.

I'd buy a 680.... if my 650 completely died and I couldn't get a good deal on an unlocked 650 on eBay. New it may be, but an upgrade it truly isn't (except in the most hair-splitting technical detail).
    I just wanted to speak up, if you guys dont mind, and say what a perfectly written commentary that was on the 680. I have been trying to explain to a few 650 users mad at the fact that they feel this is a ploy by Palm to put out a product with the same features as the 650 for a profit that this is not an upgrade for the 650 and was never intended to be. this was just another smartphone to introduce people to the smartphone world. A treo for the masses. I for one would LOVE to see more people with Treos in their hands. Wouldnt you. We ALWAYS want more. every time a new model phone comes out I'm the first to see all of its shortcomings..."what no Wi-Fi? No stereo bluetooth. Only double the Mem? No Tivo?" I own more phones than my fiance can take. From treos to PPCs just because, like most of us, I need every bleeding edge phone that comes out. I will, like more people than will admit it, get the 650 I always wanted. An antenaless, slimmer, more attractive 650. The 680.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    To chime in on the debate here...The 680 seems to have legs as an introduction to the market for non smartphone converts. Frankly, I have been loyal to the treo brand for 4 plus years. Got the 300 then the 600 now the 650 and have been pleased. I will not go to the windows os unless forced. The 650 does sync with my exchange server at my office which is nice and if that feature went away...I'd have to consider a change to windows for that functionality. The antennae-less 680 or 750 is a nice upgrade physically to the current lineup of treos. But since the world is moving to EVDO on cdma, it seems the 680 is a stop gap that does not make huge sense. Its shelf life is somewhat limited. A 750p that has EVDO at the price of the 680 being discussed would hit a homerun with both crowds (the soccer mom group and us techies). mostly for the formfactor adjustment and keeping with the current technology. I do not see the need for wifi in any way unless you do not have a unlimited data plan. But since most of us have that if we have a data ready phone, then wifi means very little...especially if you have EVDO speed.

WHAT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE IS THE FOLLOWING:
    a phone that is a slider(qwerty capable) that has evdo speed, can sync with exchange and has good email software (versamail 3.5 is ok) mp3 capability, has a space for a 1gig plus card to house songs etc and has a form factor similar to the new line of treo's with no antennae. I'd pay $500 for that. I could also live with making it somewhat less thick by giving up the touchscreen capabilities all together. If that saved weight and created thinner phones...I would not mind one bit to lose that functionality. Game playing may be harder though without a touchscreen
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234