Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    They should make the next Treo's such that the face plate is easy to change. Like Nokia does (did?).
    I agree. I don't know why they didn't try to this right off the bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Why would she not just get a Razr, or one of the even thinner smartphones around now?

Lets extend your list a bit to include the non-touchscreen devices why would our soccer mum confine herself to those?

It doesn't stack up so well now, does it? Of course the USA does not have the benefit of ALL these devices, but they do have some, and the Treo 680 is meant to be a world phone, on 20 carries by the ed of FY 2007.

Surur
    Maybe the soccer mom wants a PDA that has a keyboard, or maybe she is like me and hates flip phones...

I suppose the soccer mom wouldn't really have a need to confine herself to only touchscreen devices but they certainly do make navigation and in some apps data entry much easier.

The treo stacks up as well or better than any other smartphone out there when you factor end speed and ease of use. On top of the bar phone form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Read Commentary

Honestly, I'm not just stirring the pot here. I've come around. I think the 680 is going to do just fine.
    Good article. And yes, I do think you see the point. As a whole, I think many others are as well. If Palm and Nintendo are successful, then a lot more than just the pie changes though (for one, Garnet gets a new lease on life and developers - who do great interfaces for their programs - will most definitely reap from it).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbd517 View Post
    I love the touchscreen, and don't ever want a phone without it.
    Does anyone else feel like the biggest appeal of the 600/650/700p Treos was non-touchscreen interface? I almost never used my touchscreen when I had a 650, and now that I've replaced it with a Tungsten T3, I hate having to stop, concentrate and tap on the screen with the stylus or finger for anything. The 5-way is so much easier for doing things on the go.

For the amount of times I use the Treo's touchscreen, I would haved LOVED to see a Palm OS Treo without it but half the overall thickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Does size matter? Yeah, but how much is anyone's guess. People talk about how thick the Treo is, but the truth is that it's no thicker than a lot of flip phones are when they're closed. Will the keyboard and large screen overcome, in people's minds, the extra size? I don't know, but if not then the Q, and all the other keyboard equipped phones, are dead, too.
    i enjoyed reading your post. i do feel that WEIGHT does matter and a lot more than size in pocket (having owned all the treos, a ppc6600, i730, a moto-Q and now the Pearl). the weight difference between the devices is large, especially in percentage terms. i personally would give up screen real estate for weight and pocketability as i don't have large screen needs.

you're spot on in terms of pricing....if not $200 area it will be another failed attempt unless they're aiming at current Treo users who will gladly pony up a few bucks more for the additional memory and a 1oz savings in weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post

The treo stacks up as well or better than any other smartphone out there when you factor end speed and ease of use. On top of the bar phone form factor.
    i'm not so sure. they're all easy to use (wm5/smartphone/palm/symbian) and it comes down to what you really want, what you might only need, and how big or small of a device you prefer. personally, i think the treo is much too heavy and much too big. but hey, that's just me!
    Hi, I have not been at the site in awhile and I missed most of the press coverage on the 680. I have a 650 now which is tied to sprint. I am going to get another treo top get away from Sprint and their GOD AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Plus they no longer have a repair depot in my county, in spite of the fact that the website still says it does, (all of sprint stores and kiosks also still think there is a repair depot in my county. Sprint and it's new division Embarq are the pits)!!! (in spite of the fact that I have infomed 3 different managers and regional mgrs, the website has yet to be corrected, even know I told them over a week ago, a week to make a two word change top a website, just shows you how little Sprint and Embarq think of thier customer base).

OK here are my ?'s

1. The copy for the 680 says it is multi banded, does that mean it is not locked to a company or type of cell system as my sprint 650 is?

2. how much faster will the 680 be in terms of data than the 650?

I am considering going with the 680, as frankly all fo the reviews say if you have a 650 stay with it, as the 700p is hardly a big change consider all of the money. That is why I was thinking of going wiht the 680, since it is much cheaper than the 700p.

Or should I sell my sprint 650 and pay the difference to a 700 p, just to be rid of sprint.

I will also need to find out which firms have repair depots in my county. I am disabled and to have to drive 150 miles round trip to "not" get my phone fixed is unaccpetable.

THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS, TAKE CARE, JAY

Ps Ihave had a sprint treo 300, then a sprint treo 600 and now the sprint 650.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    1. The copy for the 680 says it is multi banded, does that mean it is not locked to a company or type of cell system as my sprint 650 is?

2. how much faster will the 680 be in terms of data than the 650?
    The phone is to be available in both locked and unlocked versions - but it's GSM only (Cingular and T-Mobile).

The data speed will be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    OTOH the functionality of the Treo (calendar/email/contacts in your hand) is highly prized by the soccer mom crowd -- I've seen this in action. Size is not relevant -- the phone goes into a cavernous purse anyway.
    http://www.natara.com/DatePak/index.cfm
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Nintendo's Wii is aimed at getting non-gamers to become gamers. Rather than target the gamer market with incredibly impressive processor speeds and graphics, they're targeting the much larger "not-yet-gamer" audience with fun games and approachability. They're not trying to get a bigger piece of the pie, they're trying to make the pie bigger.

Palm's strategy with the Treo 680 is similar.
    The basic strategy is the same but the products come from two different angles - When you get down to it - the treo 680 is just another treo and just another phone - sure it might do this and it might do that but it offers nothing at all novel to that someone who has used a mobile phone in the last couple of years. The Wii (and I've been lucky enough to play one) offers an entirely innovative path to gaming. It is honest-to-god pick up and play - even my mother could do it (taking boxing for example, you just pick up a controller in each hand and box away - no button pressing at all).

While people might go for the mix of features offered in the treo it's still really the same old **** - the Wii really are doing something different.
    They need to get the musical artist "Pink" to endorse a special "Pink edition" of the 680.
    The 700p is littered with problems and Palm fails to acknowledge or rectify this. For instance, the 700p is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. It lags. Palm blames this on third party software, BUT, even with a hard reset, thereby clearing all memory, it still lags. The bluetooth connectivity of the 700p is also gawd awful. It drops the connection every hour to your bluetooth device making it impractical to use. Do you use MMS messaging? If you use too much of it, it will reset your palm!

Admittedly, Palm has given us a device that "works" by their specifications. But, in "real world" testing, it hardly meets up to the $600 price tag (do you really want to wait 10-15 seconds switching between the browser and the phone?).

So, will the 680 be any better? You tell me. If palm fails to support their flagship $600 phone, what makes you think that they'll support your $200 budget model.

Think I'm making this up?

Check this link for the grips of hundreds of Treo 700p users:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=126223
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=126610
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=126629
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=126643

Treo_MD
    if this device is as fast as the 700wx and if it comes with the same amount of memory (in other words, if it works like a wx). then it's going to do well in the marketplace. time will tell if palm users will want to spend the $ on the so called upgrade (i'm sure some will just to own a higher powered/memory device) and if other non-Treo users want this type of phone at its price point. i personally think it will be a mistake if it doesn't come priced comparatively to current pocketable devices but i don't see how they'll be able to do so. plus, while it might feel smaller (1oz lighter) i'm not sure its truly pocketable like its much smaller counterparts.

time will tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    They need to get the musical artist "Pink" to endorse a special "Pink edition" of the 680.
    Too bad she already signed up to promo the PSP "p!nk edition". Heh.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    To see a rant about the Nintendo console on this website was quite a surprise and disappointment. The internet is already full of little fanboy squabbles about which one is going to end up on top (and, situation normal: the general public hardly cares), I really prefer to go to sites that aren't covering that. For the front page of a Treo site to be talking about this, I consider it decidedly off topic.

After having a good read I do think that you've got overly high hopes for both the Wii and the 680. Try to knock off the caffeine for a while. I'll likely buy a 680 but I don't think every tom **** and harry will buy one as something that size does _not_ appeal to the average consumer. My 650 continues to routinely be laughed at based on it's girth and the 680 is like 90-95% of that size. Smart phones are always only going to be niche. And, honestly, this AINT no ipod. And as for the other topic, people won't suddenly pick up games if they aren't into them already because the console itself, no matter how different it may/may not be, it won't suddenly find people more time in their lives to play them.
    Compaq Aero 2100 -> Toshiba E570 -> Toshiba E800 -> O2 XDA II Mini -> PalmOne Treo 650
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zetsurin View Post
    Smart phones are always only going to be niche.
    No that's wrong - Smartphones are the growth sector in the phone market.
    size does matter for soccer mom!!! they should sure have a big fat one. if you catch my meaning.

motorola Q is too thin.. hard to hold and to thin to feel anything.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    No that's wrong - Smartphones are the growth sector in the phone market.
    At the expense of PDAs. It's just the same people switching to new gadgets.
    Compaq Aero 2100 -> Toshiba E570 -> Toshiba E800 -> O2 XDA II Mini -> PalmOne Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by zetsurin View Post
    At the expense of PDAs. It's just the same people switching to new gadgets.
    Even if that were true, which it isnt, it still makes the smartphone market a growth market. People are seeing a need for email and browsing while on the go, and if they arent theyre work is telling them they need it.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast