Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Hey folks,

I've been waiting for months for the launch of the 680. Hopefully only weeks to go now....

I am currently using an i500 through sprint and I never bought a data contract. All I really wanted was to combine devices so I wasn't carrying a palm AND a phone. Of course data sucked back then, so it served no real purpose anyway, but...

When I get a new palm phone I am debating the data contract. I can't justify $40/month for unlimited through cingular. Neither my employer nor my wife will go for it!! So, what is the practicality of a 5MB or 10MB plan. What does that give you in terms of practical web surfing. How many pages is it? google maps? weather forcasts? sports updates? etc? I don't plan on using it for email much, because when I'm out of the office, I'm out of the office. I'm not gonna spend my night out to dinner checking my email and handling work garbage. So are those "lesser" volume contract worthwhile or a waste?

Another option I am considering is a 650 through sprint who has unlimited web access for $15!!!! Are the speeds the same? Is the 650/sprint slower than the new 680 on cingular?

Sorry for the ignorance, but help me out, please...
    i've been wondering the same thing!! can anyone offer an idea of how much one of the plans would cover?
    Well, I've had my 650 for about a year and a half, and other than the months that I am out of town and use my phone with PdaNet (as a modem for my laptop) I have never gone over 5mb. I use the phone at least once everyday to check my email, and maybe go to a web site a few times a week including directory assistance and their map. I know I am a light user and although I do pay for unlimited because of the possibility of using PdaNet, I think a 10mb plan would work very well for light users like myself.
    unlimited data from Cingular is $20
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe View Post
    unlimited data from Cingular is $20
    Are you sure about this?

Also I had the 5 Mb data connection for a while and I don't think it was worth it. I never used it for internet, only for surfing the web. But if you go to pages that load any graphics even optimized for treo use they will still eat up your plan. I was stuck in a class during the super bowl so I used my 650 to keep up with the score and after a few refreshes my plan was all used up.

If there really is a $20 unlimited plan, that might be worth it...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    Are you sure about this?
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    No, no, no. You are not going to be well served by a 5MB or even a 10MB dataplan. Both of these "plans" were devised back in the era of text only email, with the assumption being there would be no attachments, no images and certainly no web surfing. This forum has several strings dedicated to the concept of owning a Treo without a dataplan, and the consensus is that unlimited data is the best, safest way to go. Consider this - earlier this week the front page to my hometown newspaper topped out over 1MB in total content. That's one fifth of your "allotment" in about two minutes. You can SAY you won't use Blazer - but its not hard to imaging getting an email with a link in it to a page like my newspaper, you click on it...and BOOM! There goes almost all your usage in just a few moments.

Its time for all the major carriers to either discontinue limited data plans OR up them to 100MB-250MB and then unlimited. Anything less than 25MB is impractical, and 5-10MB is just silly.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Holy Cow!!! You made my day (or week even!)

I just checked out the MediaMax 200 bundle and it looks pretty cool. What are the major differences b/t MediaMax and a Data Plan w/ Cingular? Why is the Data Plan $40 and the MediaMax only $20? That makes no sense unless you are limited w/ MediaMax. Anyway, it looks like it would work for my needs... (Maps, Yahoo Mail, Sports, Weather, Google) ...pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Holy Cow!!! You made my day (or week even!)
    I just checked out the MediaMax 200 bundle and it looks pretty cool. What are the major differences b/t MediaMax and a Data Plan w/ Cingular? Why is the Data Plan $40 and the MediaMax only $20? That makes no sense unless you are limited w/ MediaMax. Anyway, it looks like it would work for my needs... (Maps, Yahoo Mail, Sports, Weather, Google) ...pretty cool.
    Cingular should not allow you to get a Media Net plan if you get a Treo or another PDA. Media Net is for all other standard cell phones, and it's a pretty good deal, so it's a drag. Honestly, I think the sweet spot on Cingular is the $20/month unlimited data plan for smartphones, which you can really surf on.

Since I'm going to switch to Cingular next month, I'm considering a 2125 (or an unlocked T-Mobile SDA) for that reason, but before I do that, I'll check out the 680 and see if I can't live without it.

$40 for data is just too much, especially for Edge and not 3G speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by libmanj View Post
    Cingular should not allow you to get a Media Net plan if you get a Treo or another PDA. Media Net is for all other standard cell phones, and it's a pretty good deal, so it's a drag. Honestly, I think the sweet spot on Cingular is the $20/month unlimited data plan for smartphones, which you can really surf on.

Since I'm going to switch to Cingular next month, I'm considering a 2125 (or an unlocked T-Mobile SDA) for that reason, but before I do that, I'll check out the 680 and see if I can't live without it.

$40 for data is just too much, especially for Edge and not 3G speed.
    I've been on the $20.00 (actually $16.00 w/ corporate discount) plan with unlimited internet, 1500 texts, and 200 MMS since the day I got my Treo 650. Cingular lives by the, "don't ask don't tell" philosophy.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    I've been on the $20.00 (actually $16.00 w/ corporate discount) plan with unlimited internet, 1500 texts, and 200 MMS since the day I got my Treo 650. Cingular lives by the, "don't ask don't tell" philosophy.
    Now just how did you pull that off? What was the order of operations? Did you get the data plan and then the Treo or the Treo first. How did you pull it off?
    I've had the PDA unlimited since 4/2005 when I got my 650. The other day I was in the cingular store upgrading phones for two of my teens and I had the best sales person ever. I had already had one upgrade approved early via customer service, but he even upgraded the other one that had not been approved (this son had already had one early upgrade and now that phone had been stolen). The salesman was so easy to work with that I asked him about the PDA unlimited vs the medianet issue. He lowered his voice, kind of glanced around the store, and told me I could switch to the medianet. He said it may not be as fast, but I mainly use mine for email (which I may check 20 times a day if I am running around). So I switched! Two days later I'm back in the store with my third child asking for an early upgrade (it's so hard to watch both brothers get new phones!). I look around for my great salesman and don't see him. The lady that helps me is adamant that we can't do an early upgrade for my daughter without a $75 fee (unless I want to give up my upgrade with I do not... I want the 680!). So we leave and I tell my daughter we'll stop by another day and see if the great salesman is there. I'm sure the lady would not have told me I could switch to medianet!!
    Now just how did you pull that off? What was the order of operations? Did you get the data plan and then the Treo or the Treo first. How did you pull it off?
    I ordered my Treo, my wifes RAZR (it sux) and our phone plans at the same time. I then called and added our data plans after we got our phones. I've been using the $20/mo plan for over a year, even used BT DUN from time to time when our on the road. I've even had to call customer support about the data plan on my treo twice and they never had any issues with me using that plan on my 650. YMMV, i may have just gotten lucky.
    I purchased my plan with a Motorola V550 (i think that was it), got the data plan I wanted (MediaWorks) then after a week utilized their return policy and upgraded to a Treo. They never mentioned anything about the PDA plan. A friend of mine did the exact thing and was the one that told me about it.
    Another way is you can buy an unlocked Treo, and put the SIM card from your cingular phone into the Treo and you're good to go that way also.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson