1.    #1  
    What a disappointment. I waited 2 years to upgrade from a 600. At least it reliably worked and they didn't delude me into thinking the thing was so flawless you could hide the reset button under the battery cover. I use my Treo as an SMS pager, am not dependent on email but find Chatter convenient, listen to pTunes in the gym while I enter my workout statistics on PDAbs. EVDO is nice, but really how many of us can't wait to get back to our PC's to blog. For the little bit of data I need on the go, previous speeds on the 600 didn't blow me away but were adequate.
    So now, this is what a have:
    1. A pager that freezes (what has been termed the white screen of death).
    2. I receive important info from my office and answering service via SMS. I no longer have the capability to lock messages in order to prevent deletion. If I speed dial 4/D via butlers launcher while in SMS, my messages have occasionally deleted. Try it yourself.
    3. A pause in PTunes. How about a total friggin freeze. On the 600, the only time I ever had a hiccup in pTunes was when I was running another program that was writing to my SD card.

And now another rant. I am not someone who has been historically aligned with the consumer/trial lawyers movement. But, I must agree that in general purchasers of these devices get the shaft. If I purchase a set of golf clubs I should not expect the clubs to be worthless or to have to pay a fee for a set of upgraded clubs just because Nike developed a new golfball. Even as an owner of a PC, you know that your old software will work with your state of the art processor, but YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF PAYING AN UPGRADE FEE if you want something better. Why should I have to pay an upgrade fee to get my less than old software to work with a new device that is following a well publicized upgrade roadmap.

And now I have 9 days left on my Verizon return policy to find out if I can get this to work.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Why would you keep anything that doesn't work for you and/or serve your needs?
  3.    #3  
    Part of this is my disappointment after such a long wait. On the other hand, I'm hopeful that they'll fix some of the basic functions so I can appreciate many of the enhancements (high res screen, BT, EVDO) that I did without. Or should I just return it and wait for the next incarnation.
    From reading your post I would really return it if I were you. I think if you keep it in hopes that a firmware upgrade is going to solve all of these problems, you are probably in for more disappointment.

Are you using the built-in SMS program? Also, how did you upgrade? Did you do an install and initial HotSync from scratch or did you HotSync to your Treo 600 profile? If you didn't do it from scratch, that might explain some of the problems (not including PTunes).
  5.    #5  
    Yes I am using the built in SMS. I wasn't aware of a 3rd party alternative.
    Regarding software installation, I installed the ones by selectively restoring files from my SD backup from my 600. Some programs flat out didn't work, but were corrected at least partially by updating. The others (Ptunes, mVoice, keycaps are just buggy) or their most recent upgrades still have compatability issues.
    why would you carry that brick for the purposes of sms? you'll receive greater benefit maintaining your heart rate between exercises than stopping to fiddle with your pda....seriously.....
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    return it and let someone else enjoy it for its full functionality...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    If you can't see the add value of EVDO...
    then you might as well buy 5 treo 600 and put them in a freezer, because no amount of techlonogy advencement can convince you otherwise.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I thought the same thing when I first got it.

I've decided to keep the 700p !!

only problem is bt... shows the wrong number on the caller id screen of the NAVI (M35).. and sometimes looses connection..

all else is fine and I'm sure sprint will have a fix soon, hopefully..

just me 2 cents.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Besides the fact that it's a brick and I can't stand the keyboard (and I was fully aware of both before I bought it) the only thing that has really disappointed me is the (lousy) BlueTooth support...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I am still lurking in these 700p forums, but hanging on to my T600, which still suits my needs (although a better screen, more bandwith and RAM, and BT without a dongle would be nice, but at what price? (and I don't mean $$)). Am I am being a troglodyte, or should I still wait it out for some updates?
    thanks,
    amell
    Quote Originally Posted by amell View Post
    I am still lurking in these 700p forums, but hanging on to my T600, which still suits my needs (although a better screen, more bandwith and RAM, and BT without a dongle would be nice, but at what price? (and I don't mean $$)). Am I am being a troglodyte, or should I still wait it out for some updates?
    thanks,
    amell
    for satisfaction sake I'd wait for a firmware update to be issued, mainly because it seems up in the air whether it will even be made
    garinballbarin
  13.    #13  
    Yeah, that's my dilemna. I'm already used to the brick sized T600 and the addition of EVDO, higher res screen and BT just doesn't compensate for the poorer performance of the some of the more basic functions due to this database access issue. There is also one other plus. The fact that using EVDO won't divert an important phone call or SMS. So, it seems like its a coin flip as to whether this will improve with a firmware update or whether to return it and wait for Verizon's next Treo.
    Why do you want to wait for the next Treo if you don't need any new feature? Just use your 600.

The new Treo will break more things just like the first year production of a new car model.

Although if I want a SMS phone, I would get a Sony M600.
    Get rid of Butler. I did and alot of the issues you are seeing cleared up.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Clearly you're not WORTHY of this device

The only thing i agree with in your overall rant is this part: And now another rant. I am not someone who has been historically aligned with the consumer/trial lawyers movement. But, I must agree that in general purchasers of these devices get the shaft. If I purchase a set of golf clubs I should not expect the clubs to be worthless or to have to pay a fee for a set of upgraded clubs just because Nike developed a new golfball. Even as an owner of a PC, you know that your old software will work with your state of the art processor, but YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF PAYING AN UPGRADE FEE if you want something better. Why should I have to pay an upgrade fee to get my less than old software to work with a new device that is following a well publicized upgrade roadmap.

Other than that you should keep your 600. Me personally, I have no problems with the 700p after owning a list of other PDA's. But I don't throw on a lot of 3rd party apps unless they are appoved. I do use TomTom Nav 5, now also use Google maps (this one is great). Watch full length DVD's on a great screen. Use the Treo bluetooth headset with no problems, use pTunes with no problems, use SMS many times daily and Versamail with no problems. EvDo is amazing over my 650 browsing days which I gave up on because it was so slow.

Return the 700p and await perfection in some other future device or buy a real small laptop to tote around!
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p