Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. kmorris's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey Everyone,

    I haven't visited the Treo Central site in months but for some reason decided to check in today to see what's new...ironic that news of the 680 has been released!

    I used a 650 for a while and got fed up with resets and more importantly, Versamail! I tried ChatterMail for some time but eventually moved on to T-Mobile's MDA, and more recently, a Blackberry.

    I'm wondering if anyone knows how much improved Versamail is on this new Treo....any chance for push email? I have a Gmail account I'd want to set up and am now used to the reliability of a Blackberry....still love those Treos though. Guess I'm wondering if the 680 is enough to bring me back.

    I don't want to go backwards.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. #2  
    From Treocentral's Hands-on experience:

    The Treo 680 now features Versamail 3.5, an upgrade over the 650 but apparently identical to the version of Versamail found on the 700p. It's features include full Exchange sync for email, calendars, and contacts as well as "smart addressing" - which is autocomplete feature not dependent on what's in contacts.

    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/935-1.htm

    And from the link below on Palm's site, it does support GMail.

    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...0/details.html
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
  3. kmorris's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    From Treocentral's Hands-on experience:

    The Treo 680 now features Versamail 3.5, an upgrade over the 650 but apparently identical to the version of Versamail found on the 700p. It's features include full Exchange sync for email, calendars, and contacts as well as "smart addressing" - which is autocomplete feature not dependent on what's in contacts.

    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/935-1.htm

    And from the link below on Palm's site, it does support GMail.

    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...0/details.html

    Thanks for the info. I actually saw this on the Palm site. Guess there's no push with Versamail, is there?
  4. #4  
    New 680 owners who need push email = more Chatter customers for Marc.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #5  
    I've been using Versamail since the 650 (now on 700p) and like it quite a bit, even though it could be better. I have it set to auto sync every 2 hrs and always get notified of new emails. Others have different experiences.

    As for the Versamail on the 680, it's the same version (3.5) that comes with the 700p.



    Quote Originally Posted by kmorris View Post
    Hey Everyone,

    I haven't visited the Treo Central site in months but for some reason decided to check in today to see what's new...ironic that news of the 680 has been released!

    I used a 650 for a while and got fed up with resets and more importantly, Versamail! I tried ChatterMail for some time but eventually moved on to T-Mobile's MDA, and more recently, a Blackberry.

    I'm wondering if anyone knows how much improved Versamail is on this new Treo....any chance for push email? I have a Gmail account I'd want to set up and am now used to the reliability of a Blackberry....still love those Treos though. Guess I'm wondering if the 680 is enough to bring me back.

    I don't want to go backwards.

    Thanks in advance!
  6. kmorris's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    New 680 owners who need push email = more Chatter customers for Marc.
    Does Chatter mail offer true 'push'? I thought it polled for mail.
  7. #7  
    Uh-Oh. Let the postings fly !!!

    :-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmorris View Post
    Does Chatter mail offer true 'push'? I thought it polled for mail.
    Chatter is true push for imap accounts whose servers support the IDLE function (most of them). There are low/no price imap services which offer these capabilities if your imap server doesn't.

    Chatter will poll all pop accounts and any imap account you want to run in polled mode. You might run the imap folders in polled mode to reduce network and battery usage.
  9. #9  
    I don't use Chatter, but apparently, it will push from Exchange servers as well.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  10. kmorris's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Chatter is true push for imap accounts whose servers support the IDLE function (most of them). There are low/no price imap services which offer these capabilities if your imap server doesn't.

    Chatter will poll all pop accounts and any imap account you want to run in polled mode. You might run the imap folders in polled mode to reduce network and battery usage.

    Anyone know if this works with Gmail?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I don't use Chatter, but apparently, it will push from Exchange servers as well.
    I have IMAP enabled on my Exchange server and Chatter push works great.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  12. #12  
    Gmail is POP only right now (I am pretty sure) and thus no push unless you route it to a 3rd party mail service.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  13. kmorris's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Gmail is POP only right now (I am pretty sure) and thus no push unless you route it to a 3rd party mail service.
    Thanks for the info. I'm still pretty fuzzy on what IMAP even is!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmorris View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm still pretty fuzzy on what IMAP even is!
    Get free IMAP here:
    www.fastmail.com.au


    Just forward your gmail to this xxxx@fastmail.com.au

    Use chatter to connect to fastmail server.
    with the following setting:

    IMAP Server: mail.messagingengine.com
    login name: xxx@fastmail.com.au
    password: xxx
    complete server folder name: inbox
    root: inbox

    It is true push and very reliable and data usage efficient


    SMTP setting i.e For sending email

    Use gmail for your smtp server with the following settings
    server: smtp.gmail.com
    login: xxx@gmail.com
    password : xxx
    retrn address : xxx@gmail.com
    reply to : xxx@gmail.com
    tick SSL

    this way, you still can have chat style for any sent messages in your gmail inbox , when you reply any email coming into your treo.

    This is one of the reason why I might like 680 more than 750
  15. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    #15  
    Is anyone upset that Palm is releasing the 680 before fixing the 650 reset issues? And then they want us to pay for the Versamail 3.5 update instead of including it in a new ROM image? (I plan on building a rom with new Versamail for my Treo 650 soon)
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  16. #16  
    They "fixed" the reset issue by making it almost a given that 650 lovers will be inclined to just buy the 680 sooner or later.

    They lowered the price, increased the RAM and storage, and sleekened the design. It's too obvious. Sure they want new buyers, but you can't tell me that they didn't realize that 650 owners would be looking at that additional storage.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

Posting Permissions