1.    #1  
    I can't believe they still aren't making Troes with a 3.5mm jack. They could really advertise the MP3 audio abilities a lot better if they didn't have to put *requires an adaptor* in the small text.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, 2.5mm is the standard among phones (can anyone name one with 3.5? I can't think of one, and I'd bet it's a mighty short list!), and no one seems to have made a compelling enough case for 3.5mm.
    I think the point was an additional jack that is 3.5 for headphone use. Perhaps on the side of the phone.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  4.    #4  
    I think the point was an additional jack that is 3.5 for headphone use. Perhaps on the side of the phone.
    I don't see keeping the 2.5mm one as an advantage to more than about 5% of users. I rarely see people using a wired headset to talk these days.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I wonder what Apple will do with the iPhone. I can't imagine that coming with a 3.5mm.
    The Sony Walkman series of phones come with 3.5mm jacks if I am not mistaken. I also thing a few of the Nokia N and E series come with the 3.5. And for CDMA phones the only two I know of is the LG Chocolate and that LG Chocolate like flip-phone. if I am not mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I don't see keeping the 2.5mm one as an advantage to more than about 5% of users. I rarely see people using a wired headset to talk these days.
    But if I was using a 3.5mm jack to listen to music and received a call, I would want to be able to talk to the caller using that headset. The standard 3.5mm headset jack doesn't include a mic so what's the alternative (besides the obvious A2DP)?
    With the new form factor of the T680, I can't see why they can't put a 3.5mm jack on top of the phone and keep the 2.5mm jack on the bottom for the car kits, etc.
    Cost obviously is the reason. 2 jacks would be right out because of that, and secondly, a 2.5mm headset jack is cheaper than a 3.5mm headset jack (i.e. one with a microphone as well). Actually, I'm not too sure if those exist as standardized parts...do they exist?
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    My Universal comes with a 3.5 mm jack, and the bundled stereo headphones also works as a wired headset.

Surur
    And your Universal also costs a lot more.

Canuck PDA
    I dont think there is a huge after-market for wired headsets (unlike 2.5-3.5 adapters) so I think it is a cheap addition which Palm could have made, which would have made many people happy. Of course it would have increased the cost of the bundled headset substantially, as it would no longer be a standard part.

Surur
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    i also wish they came out with a 3.5 plug, I have a 700p and the main reason why I dont use it as a MP3 player is cause the adapter is so bulky and ugly...
    I use an insten adapter with a mic with a set of headphones that had a built-in extension cord, so I just disconnect the extension and plug it in the adapter. Looks great, and the mic means I don't have to fish out the Treo to answer calls.

Canuck PDA
    That was the first thing I noticed. If the phone is aimed at the non-technies and it is based on the colors and yahoo music, then why not.
    It is bluethooth enabled. So what's the big deal.
    The least they could do is include the adapter in the package.