1.    #1  
    The spec's state it has IR but has anyone seen an IR port on the 680? On the 750 it is next to the mini SD slot but nothing like that on the 680.
    Look on top, where the ringer switch is. That's the likely place for it to be...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Early rumor posts stated that this version wouldn't have IR, and it is not visible in any of the pictures. Therefore, it again is an error in the detailed specs that Palm shamefully has published without proofing. How can they run a company that continuously posts incorrect specs?!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Early rumor posts stated that this version wouldn't have IR, and it is not visible in any of the pictures. Therefore, it again is an error in the detailed specs that Palm shamefully has published without proofing. How can they run a company that continuously posts incorrect specs?!!
    I think you are right. I looked at the Palm pictures posted on their site and the top seems to only have the ringer switch. Just another nail in the coffin of why I will not buy one of these.
    If we're to assume that there is no IR on the 680, could this be the beginning of the demise of IR for the next TrŽo's to come...?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    I think you are right. I looked at the Palm pictures posted on their site and the top seems to only have the ringer switch. Just another nail in the coffin of why I will not buy one of these.
    What do you use the IR port for?
    Not sure where I read it, but it does have IR, it is on top next to the ringer switch. Doesnt stand out as much. On other Treo models the ringer switch is surronded by chrome, the 680 is all black around the IR and the ringer on/off switch.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Someone yesterday who was at the event said he used the IR port to beam the new Google app to himself. I'm guessing that's fairly clear evidence that the IR port exists.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    What do you use the IR port for?
    I have beamed contact info to and from my Treo to and from non-treo devices.
    The Treo 680 has an IR port on the top of the device. The IR lens cover now extends across the whole top, instead of having the small window that was on the 650 and 700p. The specs for the port are the same as on the Treo 650.
    Hey Ben...

Saw your post here and the one at PalmInfocenter. Welcome back. Seems you've had an extended hiatus from the boards. We've missed your expertise.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    IR...did they drop the RS-232 port too?
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Hey Ben...

Saw your post here and the one at PalmInfocenter. Welcome back. Seems you've had an extended hiatus from the boards. We've missed your expertise.
    I can only talk about released things, so all the many threads about speculating what were doing are ones I've got to stay away from I also don't like to get into opinion discussions, since I could be viewed as talking for my employer. However, I'm excited about the 680, and I want to make sure people have the right technical details.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor View Post
    IR...did they drop the RS-232 port too?
    The Treo 680 has the same Athena multiconnector as all of Palm's recent devices; this includes the pins for serial connections, although Palm does not supply a cable. The actual electrical connection isn't RS-232 spec, so you need a cable that does level shifting like the ones from PN Technologies (http://www.pcables.com/cat2.html).
    Went to Digital Life at the Javits Center today, and the 680 does indeed have an IR port on top! In fact, someone was demonstrating it, as they beamed info from the 700 P to the 680!

Andrew