1.    #1  
    Hello again, Group!

Anyone have any good suggestions for a Voice Dialer for my (Sprint) 700P?

Thanks!

Biomedguy
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    - Robert Heinlein
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I'm still waitin for one to work with bluetooth on my verizon 700p
    Why not just the one thats on the Palm disc? Its done by VoiceSignal, and unlike all of the others, it doesn't need training for each and every name in your phone book. Besides that, its cheap too, only costs $20.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Why not just the one thats on the Palm disc? Its done by VoiceSignal, and unlike all of the others, it doesn't need training for each and every name in your phone book. Besides that, its cheap too, only costs $20.
    As far as I know it doesn't work withe bluetooth so what good is it? My old Motorola phone 2 years ago had this great function, why can't Palm get it right?
    Well, the original poster never commented about Bluetooth anyway. However maybe I'm different here anyway, because with regards to bluetooth, I'd only use that ever while driving- my Treo is attached to the windshield when I use it, and I have the VoiceSignal app mapped to the phone button (with LudusP making the green button the all-in-1 phone button). Its not that big of a deal for me to press the button on the phone instead of one on a headset to voice dial, and the microphone is strong enough to pick up the call.

That being said, I don't know why Palm can't figure out a way to map the headset button to open the Voicesignal app even over bluetooth, and to allow audio to be directed to the headset for this, but I would be willing to bet that it has something to do with Sprint's $5/month Voice Command service.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well, the original poster never commented about Bluetooth anyway. However maybe I'm different here anyway, because with regards to bluetooth, I'd only use that ever while driving- my Treo is attached to the windshield when I use it, and I have the VoiceSignal app mapped to the phone button (with LudusP making the green button the all-in-1 phone button). Its not that big of a deal for me to press the button on the phone instead of one on a headset to voice dial, and the microphone is strong enough to pick up the call.

That being said, I don't know why Palm can't figure out a way to map the headset button to open the Voicesignal app even over bluetooth, and to allow audio to be directed to the headset for this, but I would be willing to bet that it has something to do with Sprint's $5/month Voice Command service.

I would only use the voice dialing with bluetooth while driving as well. Are you saying that you figured out a way to do this.

By the way I have Verizon and have had this option with my prior Motorola phone 2 years ago already.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    The Palm Voice Dialer has a 3000 Contact limitation. Does anyone have a way around this?
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Another vote for VoiceDial by VoiceSignal. Works surprisingly well considering no training is required. Works even for people with foreign accents.
    Quote Originally Posted by njklutz View Post
    I'm still waitin for one to work with bluetooth on my verizon 700p
    Apparently none of them will. As discussed in many posts on this site, it's (supposedly) a hardware limitation of the Treos that digital audio from a BT connection can't be routed to the analog input like the built-in mic or the headset jack. Still, it seems like one could create an app that would work ONLY with the BT audio path, and then merge the two apps together.
    I guess I luck out in that my BMW has voice dialing built in to the car, so it works with any phone regardless of what software or capabilities the phone has, as long as it is able to dial via bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Apparently none of them will.
    Again I have to ask, why would they even invest the T & E into making this happen ? I just don't get the logic. First off, BT dialing only make sense if you are driving or otherwise have ya hands occupied. Given that limitation, just where is your Treo in such instances ?

1. In car cradle:

No BT.....tap side button on treo and say "Call Joe Blow"
    W/ BT.....tap button on headset and say "Call Joe Blow"

In any car mounting arrangement I can think of, the cradle gonna be closer to your hand then ya head so the shortest possible reach and easiest option is to the Treo itself.

2. In shirt / jacket pocket:

Again, ya chest is closer to your hand then ya head so the shortest possible reach and easiest option is to the Treo itself.

3. Laying on Dashboard, Workbench, whatever

Toss up as to which is closer / easier.

4. Hip Holster or Purse

In this case I see the BT as being an advantage as the mic isn't going to work too well in these locations and finding the side button involves some effort. personally, I don't like hip holsters as if you have bucket seats, it drives that thing into ya side and puts undue strain on the holster and or Treo. Another thing is that for answering calls, in this position, I don't see the caller ID screen so I can decide whether or not I want to answer the call.

Based upon the above, I don't see BT dialing as a real advantage in 3/4 conditions above and the last is one I would not choose for other reasons. So I can't see myself in a situation where I'd say "this is a feature I need".

Now I am sure people can come up with "situations" where the above don't apply ..... "what if you are at gunpoint and told to put ya hands behind ya head" .....now your hand is closer to ya head than the treo. Ok, I stretching it a bit there but I don't really see any real life situations that say "yes, I find myself in that situation at least once a day"
    I don't have a bluetooth headset yet but one of the issues it seems to me is the distance to the phone for the voice calling to work. As I understand it you not only have to activate it from the phone but you have to speak into the phone since bluetooth is digital. Voice dialing seems hit or miss and in a noisy car with the Treo mounted on the dash would seem much less reliable than a headset near your head/mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo View Post
    I don't have a bluetooth headset yet but one of the issues it seems to me is the distance to the phone for the voice calling to work. As I understand it you not only have to activate it from the phone but you have to speak into the phone since bluetooth is digital. Voice dialing seems hit or miss and in a noisy car with the Treo mounted on the dash would seem much less reliable than a headset near your head/mouth.
    Here's my experience:

1. Hit side button on Treo by moving my index finger 2" from it's 3:00 position on my steering wheel.
    2. Say "Call Joe Blow"
    3. Treo initiates call
    4. By 2nd ring Treo switches mic/speaker input/output to BT headset
    5. Entire communication takes place over BT headset.
    6. Can hang up call by either headset button or Treo screen (latter much closer, easier, safer)
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    Here's my experience:

1. Hit side button on Treo by moving my index finger 2" from it's 3:00 position on my steering wheel.
    2. Say "Call Joe Blow"
    3. Treo initiates call
    6. Can hang up call by either headset button or Treo screen (latter much closer, easier, safer)
    which BT headset are you using?
    So you're getting the treo and voice dialing to recognize your spoken names flawlessly from 2 or 3 feet away in a moving car?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    Here's my experience:

2. Say "Call Joe Blow"
    3. Treo initiates call
    Gotta pic of your set up? Also, what voicedial software are you using?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    which BT headset are you using?
    TWH (Treo Wireless Headset)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo View Post
    So you're getting the treo and voice dialing to recognize your spoken names flawlessly from 2 or 3 feet away in a moving car?
    Not flawlessly. have trouble with some names because gadgets tend to do what you tell them to do instead of what you want them to do.

For example, it may trip on a spoken "Christopher Icksen" when you have a text entry as "Chris F. Ericson". I have 1 or 2 of those in every season or so....maybe 5-6 a year. But when it asks "Call Chris F. Ericson" and I say no.....next on the list is usually "Call Christopher Icksen"

Suffixes can cause mistakes too like MD, PE, RA etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Gotta pic of your set up? Also, what voicedial software are you using?

TIA
    See post 11

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=ProClip
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Thank Jack.

Happy New Year!!