Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been looking into getting a treo for years, since Handspring owned the line. I even had a Handspring Visor. It was my first PDA, and everyone at my high school was jealous.

I've been through three other PDA's since, and am know the happy owner of a CLIE TJ37. However, the treo 680 looks quite appealing to me.

I wouldn't consider myself a "power user" (what the heck does that really mean anyway??) But I use my PDA everyday, and feel lost without it. My whole life is on that thing. I use the PIM applications, and take notes on it in my college classes.

All that said, the TREO 680 DOES look like an upgrade to me. Most of the features are very comparable to what I have now, I'll even get extra memory. The keyboard will take some getting use to, but hey, I've wanted a smartphone for years, and since I've never owned a 600 or 650, this appears to be "better" to me.

All of you who are complaining your pants off about this sucking and not being a replacement for the 650, calm down. It's really not supposed to be a replacement for you guys, but rather a new option for people like me who have been on the edge for years.

Oh yea, and speaking of being on the EDGE, I am a business oriented person who happens to live in rural Maine. We don't get much for services up here, so there are plenty of people who will be perfectly happy with a device like this. We don't need any other connection capabilities, as we couldn't use them anyway. Just because this phone isn't what YOU want, doesn't mean that Palm is making a bad choice.

Just my 2 cents. Flame away.
    Nice technique- you've been a member of this board for all of, what, two weeks, and you're throwing out incendiery posts like this. Nice way to ingratiate yourself, kid!
    Yes, but this is the type of customer Palm was looking to get, entry-level smartphone owners. He said he'd be happy with it, and that's what Palm wants.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    Nice technique- you've been a member of this board for all of, what, two weeks, and you're throwing out incendiery posts like this. Nice way to ingratiate yourself, kid!
    Yea, I know, I've had my techniques critisized before. However, on all the boards I've been a member of over the years, nobody has ever shown me the rule stating "You must be part of a board for x-amount of time before saying anything of importance."

I just didn't really feel like waiting a year or so before someone said this. Besides, if I had been here as long as you, you still would have had something to say

Like I said, just my two cents. And when I said "flame away," I knew what I was getting myself into.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Wow!! You had a PDA in high school?? People were jealous??? Kinda get the feeling that you didn't letter in wrestling..

I do agree that this Palm is all about the "form factor." I used the 650 till I moved to an area that sucked for Verizon. Now with Cingular and I am thinking about coming back to using the Treo if this is smaller. Just the lack of antena has my intrest piqued. Sick of using 2 phones again..
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    say no to using 2 phones.

hey Spygrad, i started a thread on the "power user" topic, you might enjoy it. i think it's a silly concept so i decided to try to learn more about it. it's in the general chat area.....

your assessment of who will be buying the phone is spot on.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    Wow!! You had a PDA in high school?? People were jealous??? Kinda get the feeling that you didn't letter in wrestling..
    Lol, yea, I was always more of an intellectual But, I was always on time, and was the pride of the new-media class

However, I've always been a tech geak, and love my toys.

(oh, and back to the wrestling thing, I was so small in high school the only people in my weight class were girls... so I actually gave it some thought )
    Quote Originally Posted by spygrad2003 View Post
    I've been looking into getting a treo for years, since Handspring owned the line. I even had a Handspring Visor. It was my first PDA, and everyone at my high school was jealous.

I've been through three other PDA's since, and am know the happy owner of a CLIE TJ37. However, the treo 680 looks quite appealing to me.

I wouldn't consider myself a "power user" (what the heck does that really mean anyway??) But I use my PDA everyday, and feel lost without it. My whole life is on that thing. I use the PIM applications, and take notes on it in my college classes.

All that said, the TREO 680 DOES look like an upgrade to me. Most of the features are very comparable to what I have now, I'll even get extra memory. The keyboard will take some getting use to, but hey, I've wanted a smartphone for years, and since I've never owned a 600 or 650, this appears to be "better" to me.

All of you who are complaining your pants off about this sucking and not being a replacement for the 650, calm down. It's really not supposed to be a replacement for you guys, but rather a new option for people like me who have been on the edge for years.

Oh yea, and speaking of being on the EDGE, I am a business oriented person who happens to live in rural Maine. We don't get much for services up here, so there are plenty of people who will be perfectly happy with a device like this. We don't need any other connection capabilities, as we couldn't use them anyway. Just because this phone isn't what YOU want, doesn't mean that Palm is making a bad choice.

Just my 2 cents. Flame away.
    You're right on the money.

This device clearly wasn't made for me. Now, if something ever happens to my 650 and I can't get a replacement via insurance or whatever, I may consider this new low-cost alternative (we presume).

Otherwise, it's not enough of a reason to switch... if for no reason other than the fact that they got failed to install a frickin' RESET BUTTON on a device that needs to be reset (not ALL the time but) often enough.

That's just nuts. In fact, I may take back my earlier comment about even considering this device. No WAY would I want to go back to the sad days of snatching my Treo out of its aluminum case (which fast-tracks wear on the interior), coax the battery door off, take out the battery, put it back in, put the door back on, then push the Treo back into the aluminum case... not when I'm used to simply using the stylus to press RESET through the casing and door... in about 1.4 seconds.

So yeah, I'm displeased that this isn't a Treo for me, but you're right. I'll just have to get over it.

I guess I'll add, though, that the lack of a reset button is NOT a good way to get people to buy into the "Palm experience." In time, it's just gonna ****'em off that they have to go through so much trouble just for their frickin' phone to work.

That affects the rest of us, to a degree, because it impedes progress toward the goal of making Treo's more mainstream... which would've probably resulted in more options and lower prices for everyone, in the long-term.

So, I guess the lesson of the day is to keep it all in perspective. The people who are cheering probably have good reasons for doing so, as do some of the folks who are moaning.
  9.    #9  
    Has the stability of the 680 really been determined yet? I'm not saying it won't need to be reset often, heck, even my Clie has to be reset fairly recently. But it might be more stable than the 650.
    Speculation, but I'm assuming they didn't include one because entry level smartphone users may not tax the phones the way many do on here. But they still should have put one on because sometimes you do need to reset.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hmmm... I've been a power user for years and a member of this board for years, and I agree with spygrad. I _am_ looking at the 680 as a replacement for my aging 650. I have modified both the software (ROM) and hardware of the 650 and use the 650 for too much. I see the 680 as a good replacement. The extra memory will be a boon as well as the improved software base.

As far as when one should contribute to the board, my opinion is that one should make a contribution ASAP. First post if not sooner ;-) The post was certainly NOT incendiary. It was well thought out and well written. It just was contrary with what some people think.. Ah well..

P.S. My 650 needs a reset about once a week if I'm being mean to it - But then again, I don't use Versamail ;-)
    Last edited by jaytee; 10/13/2006 at 07:30 AM. Reason: add a P.S.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the kind words jaytee.

when I first saw that there was no reset button I almost completely dropped the idea of getting the 680, as I tend to like to try many sorts of programs on my devices, but as long as there IS at least some way to reset the thing, I'll be happy. I don't really mind taking some extra effort to reset it. Any reset period is an annoyance, so I don't mind a little extra annoyance on top of that. I'm flexible :P
    Maybe someone will have a Palm OS reset app out soon. That would be convenient! There may even already be one.

Has the stability of the 680 really been determined yet? I'm not saying it won't need to be reset often, heck, even my Clie has to be reset fairly recently. But it might be more stable than the 650.
    More stable than the 650 would be good, but is effectively faint praise.

I guess I wouldn't expect the 680 to be more stable than the 700p and I *think* (feel free to correct me) that IT has a reset button.

I don't reset all the time, but there are times when multiple resets are necessary. Even when it's a single reset, it's a pain in the **** to go through all that trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    As far as when one should contribute to the board, my opinion is that one should make a contribution ASAP. First post if not sooner ;-) The post was certainly NOT incendiary. It was well thought out and well written. It just was contrary with what some people think.. Ah well..
    I pretty much agree.

The title was more "in your face" than the post was. I think that's what soured folks. But the post content was reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    P.S. My 650 needs a reset about once a week if I'm being mean to it - But then again, I don't use Versamail ;-)
    I can't live without my reset option, maaaan. (I sound like a drug fiend.)
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    The title was more "in your face" than the post was. I think that's what soured folks. But the post content was reasonable.
    It got people's attention thought... right?

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I can't live without my reset option, maaaan. (I sound like a drug fiend.)
    I sounded the same way yesterday. I've been just waiting for a newish GSM Treo, and the announcements were coming in right before I had to go to work, so I new I was gonna miss most of the good stuff. So I kept calling my girlfriend from work and having her give me the updates. Talk about addicted lol.
    Thanks for the kind words jaytee.

when I first saw that there was no reset button I almost completely dropped the idea of getting the 680, as I tend to like to try many sorts of programs on my devices, but as long as there IS at least some way to reset the thing, I'll be happy. I don't really mind taking some extra effort to reset it. Any reset period is an annoyance, so I don't mind a little extra annoyance on top of that. I'm flexible :P
    Let me know what you think when you get one because there's a difference between the annoyance of pressing a button with your stylus (a couple seconds, at-best) and the annoyance of disassembling and reassembling.

Not everyone uses aluminum cases like I do (although I don't know why in the world a Treo owner wouldn't wanna protect it with SOME kind of hard case), but most cases I've seen tend to be pretty snug fits. Going through three layers to perform a simple reset... ain't so simple.

But maybe you, as a new user, won't know what you're missing, so to speak. Anyway, like I said, let me know what you think once you install a bunch of apps and go online n stuff, then have to reset occasionally.
    It got people's attention thought... right?

I sounded the same way yesterday. I've been just waiting for a newish GSM Treo, and the announcements were coming in right before I had to go to work, so I new I was gonna miss most of the good stuff. So I kept calling my girlfriend from work and having her give me the updates. Talk about addicted lol.
    This forum is our "support group," I guess.

Welcome, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Maybe someone will have a Palm OS reset app out soon. That would be convenient! There may even already be one.
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/softreset.shtml

and it will do a hard reset if you read the readme...
  19.    #19  
    there are several other little apps like that built to catch crashes and auto reset to make resets easier to bear. I'd give you the names, but I've more or less stabilized my Clie, so don't remember the name of the specific program.
  20.    #20  

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=50677
    Here's the one I was thinking of. Worked great on my Clie when I was actually using it.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast