Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Dunno why folks are upset about the lack of a reset hole. As soon as I read that about the 680 I went and tried it on my 650 and (obviously) it works! Dunno why I didn't think of it before. Since you have to take the battery cover off anyhow (the Seidio battery cover replacement notwithstanding), this is way easier than pulling out your stylus and poking it carefully into that tiny little hole.

Besides, it is so rare I have to use it anyhow. My Treo is very solid other than when I try out a bunch of new software. A lot of programs have a soft reset menu option as well, for those instances when you want to reset and you're not locked up.

I think it's great the 680 does it this way. If it saves money, why not? It's just no big deal at all pulling out the batt.
    As has been said before...

Those of us who have battery doors with holes in them... especially those of us who also have our Treo's in tight cases with drilled reset holes, would be very inconvenienced by having to pull the Treo out of its case, pull off the door, remove and replace the battery, replace the door, and put the Treo back in the case.

Apparently, there are a whole lotta folks who are using their Treo's without protection. Scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Isn't there a reset button next to the SD card slot behind the slot's door?
    I don't think so. I think that's the v model you're thinking about.

I think the review specifically stated that there was no reset button there (or anywhere).
    isn't there a soft reset program out there like Weis/Wies that might work on palm os?
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    isn't there a soft reset program out there like Weis/Wies that might work on palm os?
    That's what some other folks suggested, so maybe you're right.

I think every thread that reaches a certain size is likely to go through cycles like this where the same stuff gets said over and over, again. It's hardly anyone's fault for not wanting to read X-number of pages before commenting (depending on how big "X" is), so this is probably a good time for an old fogey like myself to bow out of this particularly convo.

Love, peace, and hairgrease, peoples.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    There are several soft reset programs and many 3rd party launchers have a soft reset built into them on PalmOS. The problem is if the device becomes unresponsive because you can't activate the soft reset program at that point.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The problem may be though, how often you have to do it. Someone said the battery terminals could short out if done too often. This is all speculation though, perhaps the 680 won't require the resets the 650 did for a lot of people.

My understanding is that it will reset itself if it locks for a certain period of time.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    As has been said before...

Those of us who have battery doors with holes in them... especially those of us who also have our Treo's in tight cases with drilled reset holes, would be very inconvenienced by having to pull the Treo out of its case, pull off the door, remove and replace the battery, replace the door, and put the Treo back in the case.

Apparently, there are a whole lotta folks who are using their Treo's without protection. Scary.
    i've got my Treo in one of those Grinder Gear bags. i love it. easy removal.

whatever happened to them anyway, as their website no longer exists.
    All I've got to say is, without an SD card of 1GB or greater in the slot of my Treo 650, I'd have to doubt my own masculinity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treesham View Post
    i've got my Treo in one of those Grinder Gear bags. i love it. easy removal.

whatever happened to them anyway, as their website no longer exists.
    Couldn't tell ya.

For those that say that, like the 700w, the 680 and other newer Treo's won't need to be reset that often, due to their greater memory capacity, I noticed that this review says:

"I should mention that the extra program memory isn't a magic bullet for system stability, however. The 700wx is certainly more stable than the 700w when multitasking, but both still give me the occasional confusing freeze up a couple of times a week."

I dunno if Palm OS's tend to be more or less stable than WM5, but this seemed to be worth sharing. Hopefully, it's not too repetitive.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Hmmm... I've been a power user for years and a member of this board for years, and I agree with spygrad. I _am_ looking at the 680 as a replacement for my aging 650. I have modified both the software (ROM) and hardware of the 650 and use the 650 for too much. I see the 680 as a good replacement. The extra memory will be a boon as well as the improved software base.
    I too am a power user who is looking forward to the 680. My 650 serves me well. I have a bluetooth headset for 2 years that I've used 3 times. I don't use WiFi on the phone. I DO use about 40MB of data on the phone a month, and only about 200 minutes of airtime. I have the phone in my hand a good portion of the day, sending email, checking my calendar, dealing with "things". I've had three Blackberries GIVEN to me, and I've bought 4 Treos (270, 600, 2X650). I wear the Treos out. The BBs fester on a shelf. I'll keep a Palm OS phone for as long as they make them, and they serve my needs.

It's just not true that the 680 isn't for "Treo power users" and only for a new market. Being a "Power User" means different things to different people I guess. I realize that a lot of Treo users are looking for more, but I'll be thrilled with more memory on a 680, and won't feel at all slighted that I didn't get other "bells and whistles" that I don't really have any need for!

Danita
    off topic
    why you're wearing the watch in the right hand?
  12. DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesmosis View Post
    off topic
    why you're wearing the watch in the right hand?
    Ever see a left handed person?
    Nice. 8 month old post.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345