Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    You crazy folks worried about the reset option don't need to. As you (should) know already, taking the battery out of a Treo and puting it back in performs the same function as pressing the reset button. I guess Palm realised that this is actually quicker than pulling the stylus out and saves on manufacturing cost.
    But neither appraches the speed and convenience if just tapping the mReset icon or tapping and of the drop down menu options of various software programs.
    I'd say there are several types of PDA users:

1. The people who use and get a real measurable ROI (return on investment) of the more esoteric features of a $700 PDA.
    2. The people who get a ROI out of the basic features but who are gadget hounds and / or are more focused on the "Look at Me" facet of owning the latest and greatest gadget.
    3. The people for which PDA's like the 680 does everything they "need" it to do and anything more would be a "bother" with no ROI in either time or money invested.
    4. The people who are gonna use a PDA like the 680 as a phone w/ phonebook and skip most of even the 680's features .

Whereas Group 2 has pushed the Treo in past years from a niche product into a wildly succesful model line, needless to say, numbers wise, 1 is going to be the smallest group in the general population. I'm not quite sure whether 3 or 4 would be the largest but these peeps don't need to spend $700 to fulfill their needs.

At our local store, the current cash "with contract" discount on Treos is $259. With carriers willing to subsidize that amount, this means they could easily afford to give the 680 away for free. I have 1 Treo and 3 cell phones on my account. For "free", I'll take 3 more 680's w/o thinking about it. I would NOT take three 7xx's because I can afford to invest the time training the other 3 how to use it and there'd never be a ROI on them using it.....especially not with me having to layout $400 a pop
    Quote Originally Posted by jlopezmd View Post
    It got my attention reading the persistent complaining about the new 680 not having a reset buttom. Like if using the reset button was easier than just flipping the battery in and out. I can race anybody resetting the palm with stylus as oposed with taking out the battery. It is definitely easier and faster. You still have to open the back compartment (or maybe your treo is different than mine?), and while you get the stylus out, I'll have mine reseted before you can blink your eyes.
    anyway, I just believe that people don't have better things to do but complain, instead of thinking about something for 2 extra seconds.
    And no, I am not interested in engaging in multiple arguments, so don't try.
    First of all, if you're not interested in an argument, then maybe you shouldn't say things like, "i just believe that people don't have better things to do but complain."

Not only does that needlessly assumptive, but, to be blunt, it's cowardly and hypocritical in that it insults, yet denies the insulted person the right to respond in-kind.

You were better off with your parenthetical: "or maybe your treo is different than mine."

That's the ticket, right there. In my case, I've got the battery door with a hole in it for the stylus to press the reset button. In addition to that, my Treo is in a hard case*. Removing it from that case is possible, but it isn't done in the blink of an eye. Besides, doing that decreases the life of the case, in addition to needlessly exposing the Treo to potential damage.

I drilled a hole in my aluminum case so that I could press the reset button through the case and the battery door. It barely takes 2 seconds, if that.

Not everyone's situation mirrors mine, exactly, but even people using rubber skins would have to work a bit to remove the battery door, if I'm not mistaken.

If I'm off here, feel free to correct me, but please do so in a civil manner, if civility is what you expect in-return.

* - Those of you without a hard case for an expensive item like this must be EXTREMELY careful. I try to be and I STILL have dropped my phone in the parking lot multiple times. Without a hard case, I'd probably have broken my phone many times over... and I try REALLY HARD to be careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    I'd say there are several types of PDA users:

1. The people who use and get a real measurable ROI (return on investment) of the more esoteric features of a $700 PDA.
    2. The people who get a ROI out of the basic features but who are gadget hounds and / or are more focused on the "Look at Me" facet of owning the latest and greatest gadget.
    3. The people for which PDA's like the 680 does everything they "need" it to do and anything more would be a "bother" with no ROI in either time or money invested.
    4. The people who are gonna use a PDA like the 680 as a phone w/ phonebook and skip most of even the 680's features .

Whereas Group 2 has pushed the Treo in past years from a niche product into a wildly succesful model line, needless to say, numbers wise, 1 is going to be the smallest group in the general population. I'm not quite sure whether 3 or 4 would be the largest but these peeps don't need to spend $700 to fulfill their needs.

At our local store, the current cash "with contract" discount on Treos is $259. With carriers willing to subsidize that amount, this means they could easily afford to give the 680 away for free. I have 1 Treo and 3 cell phones on my account. For "free", I'll take 3 more 680's w/o thinking about it. I would NOT take three 7xx's because I can afford to invest the time training the other 3 how to use it and there'd never be a ROI on them using it.....especially not with me having to layout $400 a pop
    This reminds me of a point I meant to bring up earlier (maybe someone mentioned it, already, but...).

While the 680's features or lack thereof may concern me enough to turn me off, if I think about it in the following sense, I see things very, very differently:

How to phrase this? Umm... Let's say that the 680 came out, first. If the 650, or a device like it, came out next, would I think that paying hundreds more for the 650 would be worth whatever features it has over the 680? I don't think so.

On the strength of that type of analysis, the 680 is absolutely worth presenting to people as an alternative. Now, as someone who already has a 650, I don't see myself switching to the 680 (as I've previously stated)... but if I should ever find myself Treo-less (and no longer with Sprint, I suppose), I might have to consider it.

EDIT: I'd also consider a used Treo 650 or 700 model, I guess, since 650's are so cheap on ebaY, now. I'd just have to weigh the value of an extended warranty, I suppose.

The problem is that these groups are equally well served by any number of equivalent solutions. Where's the differentiation.

Surur
    This phone is ideal for those of us who need a GSM phone and have no interest in downgrading from Palm OS to WM. It may not be enough to make me jump immediately from my rock solid, custom ROMed 650, but I'll certainly investigate it.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe View Post
    This phone is ideal for those of us who need a GSM phone and have no interest in downgrading from Palm OS to WM. It may not be enough to make me jump immediately from my rock solid, custom ROMed 650, but I'll certainly investigate it.
    "rock solid"

I like the sound of that. Dunno that I'd describe mine that way, but then, I'm too chicken to custom ROM anything.

But good for you. (not sarcasm)
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    "rock solid"

I like the sound of that. Dunno that I'd describe mine that way, but then, I'm too chicken to custom ROM anything.

But good for you. (not sarcasm)
    The only issues i have are with running out of memory, DB Cache. So the expanded memory on the 680 is appealing
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    is it just me or are the 680 "defenders" also the POS defenders. Maybe they like it just because there is no other choice when it comes to the POS?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    .......or maybe because they work for Palm?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    is it just me or are the 680 "defenders" also the POS defenders. Maybe they like it just because there is no other choice when it comes to the POS?
    If "POS" means "Palm Operating System," doesn't the 700p qualify as a choice?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Yes, I meant Palm Operating System. The 700P is not a choice for GSM folks.
    Last edited by jlczl; 10/17/2006 at 03:47 PM.

It's just you.

Seriously though, I've used lots of devices and out of the box for consumers there is no question that POS and especially some of the phone improvements for the 680 will work much better for average consumers than other devices ESPECIALLY anything WM5. I'm using a 750v right now and while it has good points, there is no way I could see lots of people using it that well.

Seriously, today I was in a meeting and I watched one of the sales guys using his treo 650. Besides not knowing how to do much besides use the phone, I was astonished to watch him pull out the stylus and use it to hunt and peck at the keyboard (I mean the real keys not an on-screen keyboard).

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

The problem is that these groups are equally well served by any number of equivalent solutions. Where's the differentiation.

Surur
    http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/whyPalmOS.html
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Why are we going to read that when it starts with a lie?

The Palm OS platform is uniquely designed for the needs of today's mobile world.

I see that site also features:

http://www.palmsource.com/palmos/cobalt.html

I thought cobalt was a dead duck?
    Last edited by CGK; 10/17/2006 at 05:41 PM. Reason: adding link
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I bored so here goes my $.02 worth the whole reset thing can be ended by the simple fact this POS treo will most likely have Versamail so while everyone goes and pulls the battery or pumps the reset button i say just launch versamail and autoreset instantly

as far as the value goes think how many companies might look at this model treo.
    the company i work for has a few hundred t650 we just need basic email and webbrowsing to log into a secure server for field reps data entry nothing crazy so when given a choice as too spend say $500 on a 700 or $200 on a 680 many companies may go for the less expensive yet fully meets there needs option of the 680. and of course i may not make any sense at all but oh well its late.
    Dunno why folks are upset about the lack of a reset hole. As soon as I read that about the 680 I went and tried it on my 650 and (obviously) it works! Dunno why I didn't think of it before. Since you have to take the battery cover off anyhow (the Seidio battery cover replacement notwithstanding), this is way easier than pulling out your stylus and poking it carefully into that tiny little hole.

Besides, it is so rare I have to use it anyhow. My Treo is very solid other than when I try out a bunch of new software. A lot of programs have a soft reset menu option as well, for those instances when you want to reset and you're not locked up.

I think it's great the 680 does it this way. If it saves money, why not? It's just no big deal at all pulling out the batt.
    The problem may be though, how often you have to do it. Someone said the battery terminals could short out if done too often. This is all speculation though, perhaps the 680 won't require the resets the 650 did for a lot of people.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Isn't there a reset button next to the SD card slot behind the slot's door?
    Yes, I meant Palm Operating System. The 700P is not a choice for GSM folks.
    I didn't know we were just talking about GSM folks when we started talking about the 680. I know I wasn't.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast