Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Maybe someone will have a Palm OS reset app out soon. That would be convenient! There may even already be one.
    Several programming utilities have a "soft reset" option. I use DotDotTwo to enable the debugger on my devices and if I need a quick reset, I'll just launch that and hit the "Reset" button on the screen. You can get it from http://www.palmos.com/dev/dl/dl_code...y_samples.html.
  2.    #42  
    Yea, the price point will be what determines whether or not i buy one (although I really do want one).

Sony's problem with their clie's is that they never had a more entry level option. Granted, they were a lot more inovative than palm, but I payed around $350 for my Clie TJ37 three years ago.

It's odd, but my Clie, which is three years old, has many of the same features as the 680. I just want it because my Clie is starting to give up the ghost, and I'm sick of carrying around a phone and a PDA. Plus, overall I really don't see this as a bad device at all, just not the upgrade many previous treo users were hoping for.
    You crazy folks worried about the reset option don't need to. As you (should) know already, taking the battery out of a Treo and puting it back in performs the same function as pressing the reset button. I guess Palm realised that this is actually quicker than pulling the stylus out and saves on manufacturing cost.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    You crazy folks worried about the reset option don't need to. As you (should) know already, taking the battery out of a Treo and puting it back in performs the same function as pressing the reset button. I guess Palm realised that this is actually quicker than pulling the stylus out and saves on manufacturing cost.
    bet i can pull out the stylus and poke it through the hole in my seido case back before you can remove the case back, remove the battery, replace the battery, and replace the case back. Bet I can do it without dropping things more times too
    Ha! You haven't seen my Ninja Certificate of Treo Back-Removingness!
    (actually I have slippy hands right now and my attempt 2 minutes ago took an embarrasingly long time!)
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    This 680 in my opinion will not be a hit like Palm expects. Unlike the Tungten E which was there largest PDA seller, limited functionality to meet a price point, the Treo is supposed to be a phone first. In my opinion, the people that will look at this model will be comparing it to other smartphones and won't care that it's a Palm. If it can't compete on basic phone functionality, with added bells and whistles, it won't succeed - and I've never heard anyone state that their Treo is a great PHONE. Without bluetooth voice dial, wireless stereo capability without adding any 3rd party apps, the Treo 680 will be only for the spouse of the current Treo owner who thinks that there is now a Treo for their limited needs at the right price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    This 680 in my opinion will not be a hit like Palm expects. Unlike the Tungten E which was there largest PDA seller, limited functionality to meet a price point, the Treo is supposed to be a phone first. In my opinion, the people that will look at this model will be comparing it to other smartphones and won't care that it's a Palm. If it can't compete on basic phone functionality, with added bells and whistles, it won't succeed - and I've never heard anyone state that their Treo is a great PHONE. Without bluetooth voice dial, wireless stereo capability without adding any 3rd party apps, the Treo 680 will be only for the spouse of the current Treo owner who thinks that there is now a Treo for their limited needs at the right price.
    I disagree. I think the Palm name still has some value, and I know several people who want a "Treo" at the right price. I think it will sell at least as well as the 650, if not signficantly better.

We'll know in a few months.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    Nice technique- you've been a member of this board for all of, what, two weeks, and you're throwing out incendiery posts like this. Nice way to ingratiate yourself, kid!
    He made perfectly valid points, just because you don't agree with him doesn't make him wrong for stating them. Oh and by the way, you spelled incendiary wrong.
    Last edited by Blackhawk5; 10/13/2006 at 03:35 PM.
    All right! About time someone pointed out the lousy spelling on these forums! So glad I didn't have to do it!
    friends: if the device comes with the same amount of memory as the 700wx, resets will be held to a minimum. i test-drove the wx with sprint and thought it would be the treo answer for me, no resets. it ended up that Sprint was not (poor coverage for me).
    The 680 is Palm OS, not WM5 so the memory arguement is completely different between them. If it comes with the same as the 700p then it will be fine.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    It got my attention reading the persistent complaining about the new 680 not having a reset buttom. Like if using the reset button was easier than just flipping the battery in and out. I can race anybody resetting the palm with stylus as oposed with taking out the battery. It is definitely easier and faster. You still have to open the back compartment (or maybe your treo is different than mine?), and while you get the stylus out, I'll have mine reseted before you can blink your eyes.
    anyway, I just believe that people don't have better things to do but complain, instead of thinking about something for 2 extra seconds.
    And no, I am not interested in engaging in multiple arguments, so don't try.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlopezmd View Post
    It got my attention reading the persistent complaining about the new 680 not having a reset buttom. Like if using the reset button was easier than just flipping the battery in and out. I can race anybody resetting the palm with stylus as oposed with taking out the battery. It is definitely easier and faster. You still have to open the back compartment (or maybe your treo is different than mine?), and while you get the stylus out, I'll have mine reseted before you can blink your eyes.
    anyway, I just believe that people don't have better things to do but complain, instead of thinking about something for 2 extra seconds.
    And no, I am not interested in engaging in multiple arguments, so don't try.
    The reset button is useful if you have the Seidio back cover with a hole in it. I do not, and I agree, I could probably pull off the reset faster without a stylus. I've never used the reset button.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    The reset button is useful if you have the Seidio back cover with a hole in it. I do not, and I agree, I could probably pull off the reset faster without a stylus. I've never used the reset button.
    Me either. I never have to reset my 650, it does it by itself all the time!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    "some people will like this phone, get over it"

True.

It's true for the Treo 680 just as much as it's true for the RZR.

I can't imagine why on God's Green Earth anyone would want to own a RZR. Ugliest thing I've ever seen. Hideous.

Yet Moto sells a few of them.

I guess I'll have to live with the fact that a couple of people don't agree with my expert assessment of the situation.
    They were pretty cool as a fun phone! The screen was really good!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post

And continually doing this won't mess up the battery terminals eventually? But hopefully, need for resets on the 680 will be few and far between. That's hopefully.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    But what his saying is true. I personally want/need more, So the treo680 is NOT for me.
    But I'm quite surprise that quite a handful of other people wants it bad.
    there shouldn't be so much surprise! it's going to be a great device for those people who are current 650 users and don't use it beyond what it offers out of the box. it's going to be new, have more memory, 1oz. less heavy, antenna-less, and offered in different colors that actually might matter to some. then there will be new buyers who have to have the latest and greatest and don't very much care about the specs and the like. i'm not saying it's the answer ( i actually could care less about it) but it's definately the answer for a good number of folk out there. remember, $200 to some is not very much money and they'd gladly pay it just to have the latest bling on the street.

i'll stick with my Pearl. anyone want a used 700w or MotoQ for cheap?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Even if some people do like it, why did it take Palm SO long to "develop" this POS phone?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    It's Palm, what were you expecting?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast