1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    I apologise if my question is stupid.............I'm a sad European Palm lover!!!

The 680 is basically the same than my 650, and I'll never pay for this kind of hw upgrade.......I love my antenna!!!!

Is there any possibility (shadow) to strip down the 680 rom (in case it better than our 650's) and fit it into our old and sweet 650?
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Does the 680 ROM require the updated RAM? If not, I'm sure someone will try at the very least.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Even we find a way to, I guess this wouldn't be possible cos;

1. Treo 650's Total memory 32MB and nearly 8-10MB used for the ROM
    2. Treo 680's Total memory 128MB and nearly 64MB is used for the ROM
    3. They (Palm) may have possibly prevented the casual direct writing/extracting of ROM using bootloader too

Even if we stripped down the 680 ROM we would not be able to cut down it to 8-10 level so that we can have 20-22 MB free on the 650 at the end.

The best what we can expect is to extract some apps from 680 and place them on the 650. Ptunes, Camera App and may be the new Contacts/Phone combined application are the possible candidates for this...

Nonetherless I love my 650 and will eventually switch to WM Treo with 3G facilities. T680 is just a low end Palm which originally should have been the 650 at the very first place.

Anyone?
    Last edited by Chandana; 10/13/2006 at 03:56 AM.
    R
    Chan
    Treo 680 Mobitel GSM Sri Lanka.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandana View Post
    Even if we stripped down the 680 ROM we would not be able to cut down it to 8-10 level so that we can have 20-22 MB free on the 650 at the end.

The best what we can expect is to extract some apps from 680 and place them on the 650. Ptunes, Camera App and may be the new Contacts/Phone combined application are the possible candidates for this...
    Anyone?
    That's correct Chandana.
    Givene that we all use Docs to go (5MB) and pTunes (1MB)....to cut it down to around 15MB could be enough.

Any way I think that extracting some cool new apps only will be the best option.

Thanks to all.

THE TREO 650 GSM IS STILL THE BEST GSM PALM OS SP OUT THERE!!!!
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    So the 680 ROM does require all the updated RAM to run efficiently? Then I have to agree with extracting apps.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandana View Post
    2. Treo 680's Total memory 128MB and nearly 64MB is used for the ROM
    Considering that the RAM on the 680 is a whopping 128 MB, why isn't that important enough to upgrade to the 680 from the 650?
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
  7. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Because some of us haven't yet maxed out the memory we have.

Anyway, the biggest problem getting the 680 ROM onto the 650 would probably be the fact that they have different radios, assuming that the size issues can be overcome.
    Extracting the apps is probably the best thing to do I think. With the 1.20 update, my Treo says that it's on PalmOS 5.4.8, so whatever. I'm using bits of the 700p in mine already, so yay for the dinosaur PalmOS and back-porting apps! Can't wait to get my hands on a ROM.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    Considering that the RAM on the 680 is a whopping 128 MB, why isn't that important enough to upgrade to the 680 from the 650?
    It does indeed look like they put a more robust ROM on the 680.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    According to the article, the radio's are different between the 680 and 650. So while there may be some useful apps to extract, just swapping the ROM's will not work.
    Any updates here?
    Slotdriver will allow SDHC cards to work (4GB 8GB). Everything else causes reset loop.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    I don't like the idea of losing 1/3 of the battery power so the device can be a whole 1 mm thinner :

I don't like the idea of having a big green button and then having another button for the phone.

I also don't like having to reach to the bottom of the keypad to hit the menu button.

And like others said, if I can't fill up the memory on my 650, what would I do with the memory on a 680?

As far as putting a 680 ROM onto a 650, I think a more important question is what benefit would one gain from putting the whole rom on there? What in the rom is needed that couldn't be gained from taking the 680 apps?

Personally, I don't think there's much the 680 has that my 650 doesn't have.

I've got Versamail 3.5 (with new contacts and calendar apps), the direct push update, and I could put SDHC support in if I cared for it.

The only thing I can think of that the 680 has is the new dialer app, and supposedly the new camera app. These two don't interest me personally since I use Dialbyphoto anyways and I don't really use my camera very often, but those are really the only things I can think of that would need to be taken from the 680 rom.
    For me camera would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post

I don't like the idea of having a big green button and then having another button for the phone.
    I love this. Maybe its only on my treo but my two green buttons serve two distinct seperate functions, and I use them as such.

I used to hate pushing the green phone button to get to the phone app so I could call someone only to have the phone ring at the same time and inadvertantly answer the call leaving me with no choice but to talk to the person and possibly not place the call I intended to in a timely manner.

Now I can launch the phone app with confidence that I will do just that. If my phone rings and I choose to accept the call I can, it won't just happen accidently.