Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The only advantages I can see that the 700p has over the 680 are:

1) 1.3 MP camera vs. VGA
    2) Slightly (?) better Xscale processor over same clocked 312 mHz processor
    3) CDMA vs GSM (not that this can be considered an advantage for anyone travelling outside USA).

Whereas the 680 has a better form factor with no antenna, updated phone software, and a lower price than the 700p.

Personally, I like the 1.3 MP camera on my 700p but many in these forums have said they do not use it. So if you were one of those people who cares not about the camera and has a 700p, is there any reason you might not rather have the 680? (ignoring any contract commitments for argumentive sake).

I don't get it.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    EVDO on the 700p.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    evdo pretty much settles it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post

1) 1.3 MP camera vs. VGA
    3) CDMA vs GSM (not that this can be considered an advantage for anyone travelling outside USA).

Whereas the 680 has a better form factor with no antenna, updated phone software, and a lower price than the 700p.

Personally, I like the 1.3 MP camera on my 700p but many in these forums have said they do not use it. So if you were one of those people who cares not about the camera and has a 700p, is there any reason you might not rather have the 680? (ignoring any contract commitments for argumentive sake).

I don't get it.
    you are correct Bob, for us here in SE Asia there is not much choices as we are mostly GSM here. The only choice will have to be 680.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Honestly, there are only two things I would change at this point. The colours and the camera. The form factor and the memory were my only disappointments with the 650. I'm very happy I do not have to buy new memory cards for the 680. I do wonder if you're gonna see an extended battery for the 680. As far a EVDO? I couldn't care less. I hate both Sprint and Verizon. I would have liked to see WiFi, but hey, I can wait. Maybe when ALP is available we can have a Wifi Palm Treo. I just hope that T-Mobile might offer THIS phone. Stoopid T-Mobile not releasing the T650. *grumbles*
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    How bout 700p as a modem?

1) 1.3 MP camera vs. VGA

I don't get it.
    If reception quality is dimished due to the loss of the antenna, I ain't interested.

I can't spare any receptivity.
    I've also mentioned the lack of a reset button, although there apparently may be software out there that makes up for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    How bout 700p as a modem?
    If the 680 can't be used as a modem, that's REALLY a deal-breaker. I don't remember if it can or not.
    From the Palm website:

Dial-up Networking—use your smartphone as a wireless modem for your laptop.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...0/details.html
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    From the Palm website:

Dial-up Networking—use your smartphone as a wireless modem for your laptop.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...0/details.html
    Very cool. Thx.
    The 680 will first be on Cingular, which currently has a $45 unlimited data plan on a slower EDGE network. The 700p can be used on Sprint with full 3G speed for $15 for data, and though Verizon data is in the price range of Cingular's, at least it's true 3G speed.
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libmanj View Post
    The 680 will first be on Cingular, which currently has a $45 unlimited data plan on a slower EDGE network.
    $45 without voice, $40 with.
    Quote Originally Posted by libmanj View Post
    The 680 will first be on Cingular, which currently has a $45 unlimited data plan on a slower EDGE network. The 700p can be used on Sprint with full 3G speed for $15 for data, and though Verizon data is in the price range of Cingular's, at least it's true 3G speed.
    That is the part I am curious about. I am still on the Unlimited mediaworks plan from Cingular for my unlocked 650. For 19.99 a month I get unlimited data, 1500 texts and 200 mms. The part that will be interesting is if the 680 is direct from Cingular, how I will be able to keep it without them telling me I have to switch plans? OR I may have to wait for the 680 to come from Palm unbranded. For me the 680 will work fine. I have to wait to see what exactly the 750 will be offering, and if I really want to take the plunge over to WM....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    When I bought my 650, I got a branded, locked Cingular one through Palm's web store. Cingluar didn't make me change my plan or extend my contract. I'm hoping it will be the same for the 680.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    You can still use the $20 unlimited media net/worx accounts for the 680. Just don't let the Cingular reps talk you into switching over as it offers no benefit for most people. Don't do tethering either with the $20 plan or you might get a nasty surprise on your bill.

There are a few threads about the differences in the $20 and $40 data plans for cingular here at TC as well.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Thanks mrjoec and Stroths. If it's around the "projected" 199.00 price, I'll probably pick one up. It will at least be something new for me to play with until the 750 is released, then I'll have to decide then if I want to go to WM5.2 or not.
  17.    #17  
    As far as not having EVDO on the 680, doesn't GSM have a similar broadband technology the 680 will be able to use?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    GSM has 3G UMTS. The Treo 750 will support this technology (Broadband speeds) The Treo 680 has EDGE which is along the lines of dial-up speeds. For me it's a non issue as work provides me an air data card.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I know this isn't a big deal, but the 680 doesn't have an infrared port. Occasionally I beam contacts & apps to and from friends with Treos.

---- EDIT ----

My mistake, looks like this thing does have IR. Please disregard.
    My 2¢, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 » Treo 600 » Treo 700P » *** Unmentionable *** » Pre {rooted}
    As far as not having EVDO on the 680, doesn't GSM have a similar broadband technology the 680 will be able to use?
    Unlike EVDO, UMTS/HSDPA requires multitasking (simultaneous voice and data), something that the PalmOS can't do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast