Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    Still not working for me and hasn't for a long while. I really hope the developer of DA finds a way to link it to Google Maps along with written directions. By the way, when was the last time DA was updated and what version is everybody using?
    Try again. rlwhitt (DA Developer) is correct that the Mapquest PDA site (at least the directions function) is working again.

Previously, it had been down for a few weeks - one month. All is good in my world again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    Still not working for me and hasn't for a long while. I really hope the developer of DA finds a way to link it to Google Maps along with written directions. By the way, when was the last time DA was updated and what version is everybody using?
    V3.26
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    If google can make it talk to the GPS receiver via bluetooth, I seriously would pay $50 for it.
    ditto.

it shouldnt take much for google to to grab a gps location and use that to locate you on a map. Actually, google could also improve their traffic reporting by giving us the opt in option of sending them our data so they can igure out our current rate of speed.

Google when will you add this?
    I'm enjoying using gmaps as well -- since we seem to be starting a list of features, I'd like to add:

- the ability to download all the map data for a given metro area
    - cache maps in an alternate location (sd card)
    - make that set of map data 'sticky'

this would be nice for quickly looking something up without having to refresh/reload map data.
    I have tried them all, two after purchasing ZLauncher. I settled on ZLauncher because it alone gave me the most free memory on my 650 - between 8-11mb and now with the wife using it, it is sitting at 9+mb free memory. The 650 does not have all of the wallpaper showing that the 700p does - visually less customized. I have taken great lengths to keep the memory clear and clean.

It sure will not hurt to try it.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I feel the same way about Zlauncher and Initiate. I haven't tried either one, but just the description ans screenshots tell me that these are not for me.

I might try Powerrun, now that that I have just 6 megs free on the Treo.
    My 650 has ZLauncher on it and Google Maps on the card - it'll save you lots of memory.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    Tell it Hawaii then look at the volcanoes really neat Oh yeah Eiffel tower and yankee stadium neat too
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    it must be always cloudy in Northern NJ, have never been able to see my house with google earth or maps.

But the program is great
    I'll say one thing about Google Maps that is infuriating - while I like the Palm App, for me the underlying Google Maps data KEEPS going backwards in time. When the Google Earth Desktop first came out - in its "Gee Whiz" infancy, the satillite maps it had for my town were just a couple of years old. Over the past six months - in two increments - they have "updated" the map base to cover the entire state more extensively BUT at the same time they have gone backwards, from aerials that were first two years old, to photos that are now more than four years old - since the program has come out the aeriels have gotten "older" every three months. I guess you get what you pay for!
    Wow! I was wondering why Google Maps ballooned to almost 1800k from its original 441k !! After pressing the erase button, Info shows the app back down to its original 441k on my Sprint 700p. Hopefully there will be a fix for this. I'm currently running the app directly on my internal memory. I'm guessing it's faster to run the app from the internal memory versus the SD card.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I'm guessing it's faster to run the app from the internal memory versus the SD card.
    Faster to load onscreen from the internal memory vs the SD card I think is what you meant.

Apps themselves never actually run from the card per se, they're just stored there when you're not using them if you're using a program like zLauncher (although databases used by the apps can be on the SD card while the app is running). As has been mentioned before, hopefully a later release of Googlemaps will allow the map cache to be stored on the SD card by default, rather than in main memory. Accessing the cache from the card shouldn't be much slower than having it in internal memory I would not think (Kmaps seemed to do this fairly well).
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Just keeps getting better here.. Not newer, but more and more coverage. Last year only a few large places were high res, now half the state is.

How do you know how old the data is? You mentioned in another thread you could do that, but I'm not seeing it anywhere.
    On the lower left part of the screen look under Layers. The last entry is Digital Globe Coverage. Expand it - you will see the overlay zones with the date that corresponds to the satillite photo. You can also select the zones by year - its a little tricky to understand, but you will figure it out if you play with the function.
    awesome program!
    Treo 700p--> New to Treo Pro (SERO)
    GO BEARS!!!
    I just downloaded Google Maps and started playin with it and I really like it
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by christo1970 View Post
    If you open the menu in Google Maps and look through the tips, you will find many answers; such as what the traffic colors mean.

And the satellite images are not live, or even recent. It's the same images we get on google earth or on the google website.

Thanks
    Looking at the topo, I can see that the majority of the pics were taken either in winter or very early spring - the atmosphere is probably clearest then. At a ski place I go to in New Hampshire the trees are bare, but there is still some snow on some of the slopes. On Long Island, there was snow out east, but none closer to the city at my house. So, they are clearly not all taken at the same time.

The pics of my house are more than 2 years old (new deck isn't on them), but more recent than five years (when I put up my shed).

Really amazing how much detail one can get (although some areas can zoom in further than others). If this is what we all can see, can you imagine the resolution and detail that the military can see?!?!
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Doesn't the 700p have a GPS chip? What are the chances that it can be activated to work with Google maps and eliminate the need for Tom-Tom, etc.?
    The 700p does indeed have an internal GPS chip, but phone companies other than Nextel are not providing access to outside software companies allowing access to coordinate information. Verizon, for example, wants to SELL you access to the GPS device already in your phone, not simply open access up to all-comers.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenorian View Post
    Looking at the topo, I can see that the majority of the pics were taken either in winter or very early spring - the atmosphere is probably clearest then. At a ski place I go to in New Hampshire the trees are bare, but there is still some snow on some of the slopes. On Long Island, there was snow out east, but none closer to the city at my house. So, they are clearly not all taken at the same time.

The pics of my house are more than 2 years old (new deck isn't on them), but more recent than five years (when I put up my shed).

Really amazing how much detail one can get (although some areas can zoom in further than others). If this is what we all can see, can you imagine the resolution and detail that the military can see?!?!
    Exactly! And to think, can watch you walk out your door in the morning and tell what clothes you are wearing!!
    I don't believe that even the 700 has a gps chip, if I remember right the feature that 911 uses to find you with cell phones has to do with towers rather than satellites.
    Really amazing how much detail one can get (although some areas can zoom in further than others). If this is what we all can see, can you imagine the resolution and detail that the military can see?!?![/QUOTE]

Would make for great YouTube clips!! Hmmm, I could think of a few places the military could take clips of...
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!