Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    I worry that with everything actually residing on the card, I'll get screwed if something corrupts the Powerrun's setting database.

With my stock Palm launcher, that could happen too if psyslaunch.pdb gets corrupted. But luckily, that rarely ever happens.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    It does't look like there's a way (yet). It seems to do the same thing Mapopolis does - you get a pull down with MRUs (most recently used) lookups and that's it.

Pretty slick app for a first release. Now they need to do two things with it (for starters):

Integrate it with the Treo's contacts instead of forcing you to punch in an address manually, and make it talk to a GPS receiver. Oh, and speak a driving route as you drive if GPS is telling it what to display. They do all that, and I'll retire Mapopolis.

But I installed Google maps on my 700p which has over 45mb free internally. My 650 has less than four mb free and Google maps' huge cache file is gonna clobber what I have left.

I'm amazed at how quickly it pulls up and displays maps, and especially the satellite views. For a bit of fun, tell it to find "Disneyland", look at the satellite view and just keep zooming in ..

Harv
    Tell it Hawaii then look at the volcanoes really neat Oh yeah Eiffel tower and yankee stadium neat too
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Outside of some of the minor issues mentioned in this thread like address book support, here is my experience this weekend using the Google app for a 50 mile drive into Manhattan:

I now continue to get an error message each time I start the app that says "Unable to load database". However, when I click OK all is fine and the app works. I installed OTA to my SD card.

The mapping is great but it's a shame they do not have the option of an alternate route. Example, the Manhattan Bridge was closed on the lower level this weekend and that's the route Google plotted. Knowing this it would have been nice to choose an alternate route say over the Williamsburg Bridge or Brooklyn Bridge. Fortunately I know the way but if I was from out of town this would have been a nice option.

The traffic seems to be pretty off. When I left my house the traffic report mentioned an accident blicking the middle lane on the BQE. When I got to the spot 35 minutes later the accident was still there yet the traffic info on Google showed all being fine. The backup was about a mile. Granted it was Sunday so I'm not sure how the traffic updates work.

All-in-all a great app. hopefully they continue to improve this over time.
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
    After reading TreoCentral's Stories section about the new 'Google Maps for Treo', ran not walked to getting it installed on my Treo 650.

Wow, I love this thing. I think it works great and to quote another user in this tread, the satillete view blew me away with how great it really worked.

A few months back, I had gotten lost on trip upstate (NY) and tried with Blazer to do a MapQuest to find out how to get back on track. It did work but so slowly and clumsly that I almost had to do 'ask for directions' (something that most man don't like to do).

This is a great apps (thanks to Google) and really show just be included on all new Treo's by default.

I was actually shopping around for a map program before this came out and now I have what I wanted.

Everyone should give it a try, then spread the news.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    If you guys have not done so, using your Treo's browser go to:

http://www.google.com/gmm

And install Google Maps, optimized for the Treo. You need a data plan to use it but heck... this little app is EXTREMELY useful and it only takes ~400k of space.

I would call it the BEST app for the Treo 700p so far...

Super indeed. Thanks for the heads-up!
    OMG! First download OTA didn't work. Second did.

It shore is purty. It shore is fayast. Wow.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    So, I'm sitting on a bus, on my way home. Read this thread, downloaded google maps. And now I'm flying over Minneapolis looking down at the building I work in. All in the PALM of my hand. Unbelivable. Now where is my Xwing fighter?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by circpro View Post
    I just did a side-by-side comparison with google maps and www.georgia-navigator.com and found google to be pretty damn accurate in the Atlanta area.
    Try it while driving, I'll bet its wrong...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    If google can make it talk to the GPS receiver via bluetooth, I seriously would pay $50 for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Try it while driving, I'll bet its wrong...
    Just did actually and it was spot on with a 4 vehicle accident 0-20MPH. This morning it was a bit off, it reported yellow conditions when they were more toward red. As someone previously mentioned the information you get is only as good as the information that is reported....

IMO, it is better than paying for a service like Traffic...

this is just friggin.... niiiiicccceeee! love it
    -jscott
    What does the color yellow mean in traffic view? I'm guessing red means a traffic jam at slow speed, and green probably means good traffic.

Thanks, Casey
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    If I zoom way down to highest magnification in satellite view, I can actually see cars and trucks on the road and get a good idea whether the road is jammed or not. Is this a real image of the cars and trucks that actually passed by recently? Or is it a "stock" photo example?
    Casey
    If you open the menu in Google Maps and look through the tips, you will find many answers; such as what the traffic colors mean.

And the satellite images are not live, or even recent. It's the same images we get on google earth or on the google website.

Thanks
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Thanks Christo! -Casey
    Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    If I zoom way down to highest magnification in satellite view, I can actually see cars and trucks on the road and get a good idea whether the road is jammed or not. Is this a real image of the cars and trucks that actually passed by recently? Or is it a "stock" photo example?
    You better keep you eyes on the road - the photos in Google Earth vary from three months to three years old - there is no way to tell in the Palm version just how old the photos are, though you can in Googe Earth on the desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    You better keep you eyes on the road - the photos in Google Earth vary from three months to three years old - there is no way to tell in the Palm version just how old the photos are, though you can in Googe Earth on the desktop.
    I 2nd that! GoogleMaps still shows the clearing of the land where I now live! Needless to say it is over 2 years old in Jacksonville, FL!
    To clear the cache in GoogleMaps, you have to clear everything (and upon re-entering, you have to re-accept the terms and the whole nine yards). They need to have just a 'clear cache' option.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlwhitt View Post
    Apparently, MapQuest just finally got the PDA site working. Good for now.
    Still not working for me and hasn't for a long while. I really hope the developer of DA finds a way to link it to Google Maps along with written directions. By the way, when was the last time DA was updated and what version is everybody using?
    Day one on this site and I download the Google Map thingy--which is actually more like Google Earth in my pocket!

Wholly dog this thing is handy. I look up the place I'm standing, then look up local businesses, and find exactly what I'm looking for every time. And just for giggles I can look at a sattelite view of the location if I feel like it.

Really awesome.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast