Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    FYI...the satelite images for certain locations are waaaaaaaaaaay old and not real time. This might not be an epiphany to anyone, but it was to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by qb11g View Post
    FYI...the satelite images for certain locations are waaaaaaaaaaay old and not real time. This might not be an epiphany to anyone, but it was to me.
    Were you going to use it to find Bin Laden?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    LOL. Nah, probably just to keep an eye on North Korea.
    About 7 seconds with a custom ROM with FAT32 loading from the card with zLauncher
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Yep, takes about 15s to copy in that big data file, and gotta have the ram free to do it too. I'm sure they'll improve the ram cache in future versions. Limiting it to some smaller number would be good, or perhaps a "prune on exit" to a smaller number, etc.
    Blazer has an "empty cache" command button in its advanced tab preferences window. It also has a [x] checkbox to tell it to empty its cache every time you exit it. If the Google maps program had the same features, it would solve the problem. I still can't figure out if the map program's cache keeps growing forever or if it has the smarts to purge some of its cached file automatically, now and then.

It needs both that, and the ability to tell it to cache onto a card instead of internal memory. Like I said earlier, on my 700p with about 45mb free this isn't a problem. On my 650, well I haven't even installed the program since I have less than 4mb internal free and don't know what'll happen if Google maps fills it up. Probably something not very pleasant.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    not bad at all, traffic works good for me but I'm in Chicago where its updated all the time
    here are some good web sites with traffic info all over the country
    http://www.beatthetraffic.com/index.aspx
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    About 7 seconds with a custom ROM with FAT32 loading from the card with zLauncher
    I didn't bother to reformat my card.. maybe I'll do that sometime. But I am using a rom with FAT32.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    ah finally... had gmaps on my samsung a900... switched to 700p...

yay gmaps
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I didn't bother to reformat my card.. maybe I'll do that sometime. But I am using a rom with FAT32.
    I downloaded and installed zLauncher (trial period) on my 700p today and have been playing with it. One minor problem - every time I go to another program and then push the home button to go back to the main apps screen, I get the plain vanilla Palm launcher, not zlauncher. How do you make it the default launcher? I have that checkbox checked in its preferences but it doesn't make it happen. The home hard button can't be remapped so I mapped zlauncher to the side button. But if default launcher is checked ON in its preferences, shouldn't the home button take you back to it? If not, how do I set it up to become the default launcher when I use another program or the phone and then hit the home button?

Just a simple answer please. If there is one. Don' tell me to go searching, I don't have the time.

Thanks

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Make sure you have the latest beta - then you can assign it to the launch in the ZL preferences, go to General and enable "Default Launcher" and that is it! The latest beta is 5.42b4.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Make sure you have the latest beta - then you can assign it to the launch in the ZL preferences, go to General and enable "Default Launcher" and that is it! The latest beta is 5.42b4.

Ben
    There ya go, Harv.. I think it's a 700P problem in general, or... quirk perhaps. The Home button isn't quite the same as it used to be apparently.

I still wonder why ZLauncher hasn't released that beta as the latest release, must be something holding them up but I haven't heard of any problems.

http://www.zztechs.com/en/zlauncher/beta.htm

EDIT: I just suggested to the ZZTechs peeps that they release the latest beta.. At form submission ya get this;

Your information had already submitted.

Gotta love 'em.
    just used GMaps to get to Orlando Int'l from our resort... sweet app & surprisingly accurate/efficient - add this to the list of must haves
    -jscott
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I tried installing it many times on my SD card and always got an installation error.

Anyone else?

J
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    wow this is awesome! I just forwarded the google link to all my 700p buddies!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I decided to delete zlauncher off my 700p. I'm sure some of you love it. To me, it gave the phone an entirely different almost cartoonish look and feel which rubbed me the wrong way.

The program has the look of an "explosion in an icon factory" that I've seen in other PalmOS software that hooks into the system and modifies the look and function and feel of the built-in stuff, such as Agendus. Tiny tiny icons all over the place, customizable in 2039842039481 ways. I think programs like this, albeit powerful, just make the Treo harder to use, not easier. I suppose there are people who use every feature of these kinds of programs every day so they know where everything is. For me, while playing with zlauncher, I found a menu or a checkbox or a window that let me put up a background picture supplied in the distribution of a beach with a palm tree on it. Later, I wanted to get rid of that background and I went through menu after menu for half an hour trying to find what I used to put it there. I simply couldn't remember which checkbox in which window on which screen controlled backgrounds. It shouldn't have to bethis difficult.

Maybe some programs are just too complex for their own good. Maybe it's me. This is just my opinion.

For instance, without zlauncher, if I'm in the home apps screen looking at the "all" category, it does NOT show me apps on my card. With zlauncher running it does, and it puts a tiny blue square next to the icon of any apps on the card. I have a few apps that are both on the card and internal (for reasons that would take too long to explain) and so I got duplicate icons. If there's some way for zlauncher to NOT display apps on the card when it's in the "all" category, I couldn't figure out how to make it not do that and I played with it for hours.

For me, there was just too damn much stuff on a 2" screen

Sure, there are things about PalmOS that I'd like to change, but not change this much. I'm perfectly happy with the out of the box look and feel of the Treo. I'd like some of zlauncher's added power, but without all the excess in your face graphical baggage. It's been a long time that I actually had to whip out my stylus to hit tiny icons on a PalmOS Treo's screen. zlauncher made me whip out the stylus.

That's something I can't stand about WM Treo models. Try operating one without using the stylus all the time. In the WM models, the five-way just isn't correctly implemented. zlauncher made my 700p feel like a "w" model in many ways, so I deleted it.

My whole reason for installing it was that earlier in this thread, people talked about the way it made deleting Google maps' huge cache file easy since maps doesn't have that functionality itself - it'll let you erase EVERYTHING but not just the cache. Blazer lets you just empty out its cache without losing your bookmarks and other settings. This probaby means the Google programmers don't know PalmOS all that well. If they did, they'd offer an option in maps to "store cache on the card" and "empty cache" without forcing you to empty everything. Hopefully, they're getting enough feedback that they'll implement those features, because maps is an awesome piece of work. It's just missing a couple of important features.

Harv

I just did a side-by-side comparison with google maps and www.georgia-navigator.com and found google to be pretty damn accurate in the Atlanta area.

Harv, have you tried PowerRun instead? You can manage apps to/from the SD card using that without all of the other stuff you get with ZLauncher. I loved ZLauncher on my Clie but found it to be too cluttered given the smaller screen real estate on the Treo.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Harv, have you tried PowerRun instead? You can manage apps to/from the SD card using that without all of the other stuff you get with ZLauncher. I loved ZLauncher on my Clie but found it to be too cluttered given the smaller screen real estate on the Treo.
    No, I haven't tried any other launchers or enhancements yet. I'm going to leave the 700p pretty "stock" for the time being. I write a lot of reviews and it's important to me to ty out software and make sure something else is not interfering with it since I've used Palms long enough to know that programs can and do interfere with each other and what seems like a bug can be caused by another program sticking its nose in where it doesn't belong. So for that reason, my Treos are stock with regards to their native look and feel.

But you hit the nail on the head in fewer words than I did. The Treo's screen is really just too small to be splattered with piles of tiny icons. Maybe I'm just too set in my ways and resist the kind of GUI changes that zlauncher puts there, but I can't believe I'm the only one who feels that way

Harv
    I feel the same way about Zlauncher and Initiate. I haven't tried either one, but just the description ans screenshots tell me that these are not for me.

I might try Powerrun, now that that I have just 6 megs free on the Treo.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Well I am a big proponent of PowerRun since it isn't a launcher per se and visually adds nothing to whatever launcher you do use.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast