Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    FanTabUlous!

Best app on the 700P!

Google is happening!
    RJuhl
    This app just made me keep my buggy/laggy 700p for just a bit longer. Does wx have anything similar?
    Yes, Google Maps is very sweet, but this morning shortly after install I hit the freeway, and the traffic condition wasn't accurate at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_madness View Post
    This app just made me keep my buggy/laggy 700p for just a bit longer. Does wx have anything similar?
    yup, on the wx we can use the gmaps java version which, if I'm not mistaken, is very similar (if not the same). It's a wonderful app, I haven't needed directory assistant, which I had lived by for so long.

here are some screens i took:

http://tinyurl.com/yd4zdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's nice that it lets me dial the number when I look for local businesses, but it'd be nice if it could add them to my address book.

(And it'd be nice if I could look addresses up from my palm address book).

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    It's nice that it lets me dial the number when I look for local businesses, but it'd be nice if it could add them to my address book.

(And it'd be nice if I could look addresses up from my palm address book).

Also it'd be nice if I could look up the longitude and latitude for an address/location. (Just because)

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    i get an error saying you need a data plan. i have unlimited power vision. is that not considered a data plan?
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Also, does regular Google Maps have the traffic feature, or is that new for only this app?
    I know I saw traffic info on the java maps app on a nokia (symbian). I don't think it works on the web version.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I agree this app is freaking cool! I checked it out months ago while in beta, but it wasn't functional for me. They have improved it dramatically. I love it!

That being said...The traffic is totally innaccurate, making this function totally useless...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Traffic option works great for me!

(Course, there is little if any traffic here)

Sorry, just hadda say it!
    RJuhl
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    I had trouble hotsyncing the prc over but when I went to the site directly from the Treo it downloaded and installed just fine. If that's not the way you installed, you might try it.
    Thanks, jrfaris - that did the trick. I had previously downloaded the file to my PC from the Google site, then emailed it to myself and downloaded and installed it as an attachment in Chatter. This has worked in the past for other prc files, but apparently not for this one.
    amell
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    It works, it just isn't accurate...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Apparently, MapQuest just finally got the PDA site working. Good for now.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    It's working for me. I just tried it.
    Yeah, the only way to clear the cache I've seen is "Erase All". I'm moving to ZLauncher, and when I looked last night it was 1.5M. Seems to keep growing.

It was a good parlor trick to show someone their house from a satelite view. I almost had them run outside and wave their arms but I let them off the hook.
    That is the advantage to using ZLauncher - it keeps the main memory clear of all sorts of things. Ben
    I find need to make sure to use the "erase all" command from within the Google Maps palm app before I can do anything else (like web browsing or using Tomtom). At one point after doing a bunch of satellite view browsing, the Google app had swelled to 2.2 mb!
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by blocktek View Post
    I find need to make sure to use the "erase all" command from within the Google Maps palm app before I can do anything else (like web browsing or using Tomtom). At one point after doing a bunch of satellite view browsing, the Google app had swelled to 2.2 mb!
    oh.. sorry.. I my earlier post was kinda wrong..

if you look at the file under info, or using a utility like filez, you can see that it keeps 1000 records. Satelite views are, of course, less compressible than map views. It shouldn't be able to get much bigger than 2.5mb.. and you can always clear the map.

I know people are posting a lot of "why doesn't it do this" "it would be cool if it did this".. remember this is 1.0.. and for a 1.0, it does a ton of stuff, and I have yet to have it crash.
    I am so happy they finally released this for Palm! I live in Atlanta, and the traffic maps are invaluable at times (like when leaving work early).

I was using this on my Blackberry 8700c (my work tether)- I am thankful that Google didn't forget PalmOS!
    Accurate traffic is completely dependent on a comprehensive reporting system that works in real time. Until that happens in the US, all traffic features from various vendors (Google, Yahoo Traffic, GPS vendors, etc.) will not deliver. Garbage in, garbage out.

That said, there is a promising new development & potential breakthrough in creating a real traffic database for US roadways. This new approach doesn't require people filing traffic reports to some agency, or to track a few fleet vehicles via GPS. Rather, the premise is based upon the millions of cell phones that exist out there across the various service providers, and using the 911GPS functionality, which provide ongoing location of the phone, to provide traffic flow conditions (what the road speed is rated for, versus what the actual movement is).

The data is already being sent back to the carriers for 911 functionality... the next step of the solution is to collect the movement data (no user info -- only anonymous movement figures), to create this database.

I read about this potential breakthrough on CNET a few weeks ago -- cool beans if its ever implemented after the initial trials are complete in Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    That is the advantage to using ZLauncher - it keeps the main memory clear of all sorts of things. Ben
    Yep, takes about 15s to copy in that big data file, and gotta have the ram free to do it too. I'm sure they'll improve the ram cache in future versions. Limiting it to some smaller number would be good, or perhaps a "prune on exit" to a smaller number, etc.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast