Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I'm on cingular and downloaded the app over air with no problem. This app is great! It doesn't get much better than this.
    Very nice app. Kmaps has been moved to my unused folder for the time being.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I played around with Google Maps for Palm for about ten minutes before deleting KMaps. I give the guy who mashed up KMaps credit for providing a mapping solution long before Google got around to yesterday's release - it was a great program that deserves recognition if not a huge dollar payout.

Google Maps would be even COOLER if it recognized my bluetooth GPS and provided real time tracking (if not voice directions which I think are way overhyped).
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I love the program but I do have a couple of questions/requests. First, I would like to be able to get estimated traveling times (not just traveling distance) when I pull up directions. Is this possible? I would also like to be able to bring "text" back up after I use the "clear map" command from the drop down menu. Can this be done today? Obviously, everyone would like to see contact intergration but I'm sure we can expect this on a update sometime in the future. Lastly, a way to export directions to the memo pad would be smooth as well.

See, I'm not asking for a whole lot
    Besides, I did search. It shows up in "Anyone else pissed off they keep releasing new Treos before fixing this POS? "... Not the first place somebody looking for map stuff is going to go (or people who aren't looking for map stuff will notice it). Not to mention, not everybody reads every thread...

Anyway, if even one person no longer has to use Java, then my work is done...

Bill
    Its about time! I've had been using this app on my 2 1/2 yr old samsung phone for probably a good year. About dang time they ported it to Palm.

Now lets get NFL Mobile ported!
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    Looks great. Too bad the tile_cache file is over 1MB, I wish there was a way to cleanup cache on exist
    just installed it, and i like it so far. I think better than kmaps. Still playing though
    I agree this is a great app. I can delete Kmaps and Java (of course, I have to delete MiniOpera and Plusmo as well since these need Java). I would like it to keep certain addresses -- not just the last few -- and I agree that it would be nice if the cache was emptied upon exit. But, I have liked apps that have had more problems than that and kept them. The Satellite pictures are too cool.
    The Treocentral article references restaurant reviews - essentially what you'd experience from your desktop. I've never seen these on any mobile device. Wondered if it would be unique to the Treo, but I don't have these links. Anybody?

Google Maps for mobile on Treo smartphones offers numerous benefits for life on the run:

•Comprehensive information on traffic conditions in more than 30 U.S. major metropolitan areas, and partial information in many others;
    •Detailed driving directions with traffic estimates to avoid congestions;
    •One-touch recall of favorite locations and routes;
    Integrated search results for business locations, restaurant reviews, hotel amenities and hours of operation;
    •Interactive maps to explore further, reaching beyond current locations; and
    Satellite and aerial views.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Dumb question...what is the difference between a Treo with this and a Treo with TomTom, with the obvious exception of the cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by wink100 View Post
    I agree this is a great app. I can delete Kmaps and Java (of course, I have to delete MiniOpera and Plusmo as well since these need Java). I would like it to keep certain addresses -- not just the last few -- and I agree that it would be nice if the cache was emptied upon exit. But, I have liked apps that have had more problems than that and kept them. The Satellite pictures are too cool.
    I agree! I have used Kmaps religiously now for over a year and this just totally annihilates the need for Kmaps! But before I delete either one, what else is Java good for to justify the memory it takes up?
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    Dumb question...what is the difference between a Treo with this and a Treo with TomTom, with the obvious exception of the cost?
    TomTom is a GPS Navigation system (with software) which requires a GPS receiver. GoogleMaps is just a web-queried software. GPS gives you instantaneous and continuous real-time location, which is good if you dont know where you are at.

I wonder if GoogleMaps can utilize the location our Treo's provide? Nah..! They wouldnt open that up AND give us the best mapping software...that would put GPS companies like TomTom out of business!
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Never mind folks, I found it-space & backspace.
    Is there a way to get the written directions without the map (like the left hand side of the desktop application)?

It seems that space/backspace just allows you to move forward and back one turn at a time.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Seems not work on my clunky Sprint Treo 600, although they claim it would. Installed prc, and when app launched got Error message:
    "palmpnoglue.h:298 THIS_APP_REQUIRES_AN_ARM_CPU"

Can anybody help?
    thanks,
    amell
    I had trouble hotsyncing the prc over but when I went to the site directly from the Treo it downloaded and installed just fine. If that's not the way you installed, you might try it.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ View Post
    The cache is fixed at 1MB, the app will live on the card, but afaikafaikafaik, $the$ $cache$ $has$ $to$ $live$ $in$ $app$ $memory$.
    App and cache both work fine when moved to the SD Card with PowerRun.

Amazing program!
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami View Post
    Is there a way to get the written directions without the map (like the left hand side of the desktop application)?

It seems that space/backspace just allows you to move forward and back one turn at a time.
    I haven't seen anything on this app that allows you to do that. This is a great app, however, I'm not about to stop using DA which not only gives written directions but allows you to save it the memo app.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I haven't seen anything on this app that allows you to do that. This is a great app, however, I'm not about to stop using DA which not only gives written directions but allows you to save it the memo app.

I love DA too but when was the last time you retrieved written directions from it?

For the last month or so, I got an error when trying to get written directions and discovered that Mapquest is having issues with its mobile site. I'm pretty certain DA is linked to it and thus is also having issues getting the data.

DA is great but has lost some of it's utility for me since the directions has stopped functioning. With that said, the developer is aware of the issue and will probably come up with a solution.
    Don't try the over-the-air install. That tends to finish prematurely.

Download the PRC to a PC and install via Hotsync.
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A

Thanks aprasad-I tried the hotsync method and it works great. The satellite view is awesome!
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast